: Audio/Video Chat Q?

Ohenri
Aug 7th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I plan to get my hands on an iSight soon, but I had a few Q?s about the whole audio/vid chat.

I just tried to have one with a bud, and this came up:

2005-08-07 20:36:29 -0400: There was a network timeout starting the conference.
Tried to send UDP SIP "invite" to the following IP addresses and ports:
24.xxx.xxx.xxx:5060, xxx.xxx.1.xxx:5060

So how can I insure that I can chat next time?? Anytime?? Will this same thing happen when I try some vid??

I've been able to run the audio before, just trying to see how to get past this.

Thanks.

H!

harzack86
Aug 7th, 2005, 10:14 PM
If you or your buddy are behind a router/firewall, you should check this first:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93208

and be sure your firewall is configured properly...

Ohenri
Aug 7th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Ahhh...

This looks like what I need. Nice one. Thanks.

H!

Vexel
Aug 8th, 2005, 12:09 AM
FWIW, I use iChat and Audio/Video chat regularly. It can be wonky, even if you have all the necessary ports open. There are a lot of factors which come into play. However, a restart on both sides never fails to resolve any issue.

I've been using iChat AV since it's inception and love it. Mac to Mac, Mac to PC and so on.. usually not a problem. Keep in mind, it takes a lot of bandwidth. I think there is a known issue as well, I'll hunt it down.. can't remember the specifics. It gives the same error you're receiving. However, it doesn't happen all the time. :)

mac_geek
Aug 8th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Video chat in iChat AV is very hungry for top specs.. I believe it requires both a G5 and a good high speed connection to be able to host a chat.

Vexel
Aug 8th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Video chat in iChat AV is very hungry for top specs.. I believe it requires both a G5 and a good high speed connection to be able to host a chat.

Not at all, any machine can do single video chats fine. It's multi-user video chats which require a G5 or Dual 1Ghz G4 to host. Obviously, the better the connection, the better the vid as well.

mguertin
Aug 9th, 2005, 05:19 PM
There are also some issues with some ISP's routers with iChatAV (a spec they all seemingly failed to adapt), which can be a major cause of grief for some people. The sepcific error is something about not having enough bandwidth (even when you have more than enough to spare)