: Should I do it? (ibook now or later?)

lostchild
Aug 7th, 2005, 09:07 PM
:eek:

Yeah another "should I switch and throw money at apple" thread.

I've been toying with the idea of getting an ibook since my PC never stops to disappoint....

I'm looking at the 12" iBook with student discount plus free ipod mini (which i plan to sell since I already have one) and have a few questions....

1. Is the iBook good to go straight out of the box in terms of software?
2. Is iWork compatible with opening MS Word and Excel files?
3. Is it worth it to get a total of 1gig memory? (I don't plan on buying from apple...)
4. I know playing games on the iBook is dismal from what i've been reading, but how is WoW on it? Decent or needs that 1gig memory?

Even though Apple software is alot more affordable, I don't want to spend disgusting amounts of money on it. I plan to use it as my main computer for documents, spreadsheets, presentations, internet, some photo editing (might leave it for my PC...) and movies ;)

Also is there a difference if I buy online or from the Yorkdale retail store? Or even my school's store (York)?

Thanks to all who reply!

trump
Aug 7th, 2005, 09:13 PM
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Depends - I have 512 and I'm happy
4. The only games I have are CnC Generals and Rise of Nations - however, they both run extremely well

There is no difference between Apple.ca and Yorkdale (except you hafta wait for Apple.ca to ship) but I'm not sure about your school store

The iBook is an amazing computer and I hope you enjoy :)

lostchild
Aug 7th, 2005, 09:23 PM
one more

5. AppleWorks Educational vs iWork Educational?

trump
Aug 7th, 2005, 09:38 PM
AppleWorks = horrible garbage
iWork = Not Too Shabby, though I prefer MSOffice (unfortunately...)

mac_geek
Aug 7th, 2005, 09:48 PM
iWork does not have an application to do spreadsheets. This may be an important point for you if you need this. You have two options on this front:

1) Office compatiple open-source software (I think there's a couple of options, here, which may be free, but I don't know much about these..), or

2) Educational version of Office for Mac.. which sells for $200, and guarantees you compatibility with all of your class mates.

Be aware that Apple is switching its chips to Intel sometime next year, which means a computer you buy today may not really be serviced with major new apps in 4 or 5 years.. but then again, who has a computer for 5 years that can still install major new apps?

Go for the extra memory.. it's totally worth it. I buy mine through www.canadaram.com - good prices, guaranteed on the Mac, and Canadian.

harzack86
Aug 7th, 2005, 10:19 PM
who has a computer for 5 years that can still install major new apps?

Me! I bought a Macintosh :D :D :D

Just kidding, but it's 3/5 true eh!

CN
Aug 7th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Right now is a really great time to buy an iBook (unless you wan to wait for the Intel ones...which are still almost a year away :eek: ) since they were just updated AND the student union deal is a phenomenal savings (even if you don't need the mini, you can just sell it to recoup some money)!

lostchild
Aug 8th, 2005, 12:56 AM
AppleWorks = horrible garbage
iWork = Not Too Shabby, though I prefer MSOffice (unfortunately...)

How awful is appleworks?

I'm comparing it by $59 to $200 MS Office

Vexel
Aug 8th, 2005, 01:03 AM
check out the FREE http://www.openoffice.org/

Or the FREE http://www.neooffice.org/

Both are great.. :)

imactheknife
Aug 8th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Buy an ibook now..most places are clearing out of ibooks because the small updated new ones are out. You can get the 12" for $999 at best buy. I will recomend it.

lostchild
Aug 8th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Buy an ibook now..most places are clearing out of ibooks because the small updated new ones are out. You can get the 12" for $999 at best buy. I will recomend it.

If i manage to sell the extra ipod, it comes to $960 :D

or something like that.

Neo Office looks good. I've used OpenOffice in linux and I thought that was pretty decent.

mac_geek
Aug 8th, 2005, 06:36 AM
How awful is appleworks?

I'm comparing it by $59 to $200 MS Office

I don't know if they do the same of iBooks, but you should get a demo copy of both iWork and MS Office preinstalled for a 30 to 45 day trial period.

As for Appleworks.. it is really garbage. Like Windows 3.1 garbage. (Flame away.. the stuff stinks.) And Apple throws Appleworks in for free on new systems..

At least, this is how my iMac came from Apple this Spring.

dona83
Aug 8th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Appleworks is fine, if ur a student. I used it all through elementary and high school without a hitch. Appleworks would still be okay for write transcripts or something.

elook
Aug 8th, 2005, 08:18 AM
The 12" iBook (edit) WILL get you the iPod - AFAIK you'll have to go for the 14" to get it. Download the coupon and you'll see that in the fine print. That might change your mind pretty quick.

EDIT: evidently, incorrect as you'll read further down.

guytoronto
Aug 8th, 2005, 08:23 AM
AppleWorks got me through one year of university, and 3 years of college. It's a pretty basic word processor and spreadsheet, but I wouldn't call it crap.

MS Office is the defacto standard, and until their file formats become universal, and other applications work with them 100% of the time, all of the time, everybody should have MS office installed on their Mac.

Those who don't will eventually feel the burn of not having it.

macuserforlife
Aug 8th, 2005, 08:30 AM
You may find that the Educational Discount will be slightly more expensive at the "York" store than onlince at Apple.ca (and assumedly at Yordale Apple store). I'm not sure if there is a percentage involved but both the McGill Uni and University of Montreal stores here have the iBooks about $50 more than Apple. Their explanation is that Apple doesn't offer a margin to educational resellers.

Vexel
Aug 8th, 2005, 09:05 AM
I'd also like to jump in again and put forth that the Intel/PPC thing wouldn't affect my decision in purchasing at the moment. In fact, if I end up selling my iBook, I'm getting an iMac G5 :)

HowEver
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:23 AM
:eek:

I've been toying with the idea of getting an ibook since my PC never stops to disappoint....
Also is there a difference if I buy online or from the Yorkdale retail store? Or even my school's store (York)?

If it never "stops to disappoint," that's a good thing, isn't it? (I'm kidding.)

As for any benefit of going to the York store, I bought there thinking there would be some kind of loyalty in return. Ed is great, but you won't be dealing with him, for the most part. And for service, expect to be disappointed. Simple fixes take forever, and begging Mike for priority or explaining things to this kind of genius was not one of my favourite activities. He's a nice enough guy, and it wasn't the Spanish inquisition, as they say, but now that there is a Yorkdale Apple store, I'll deal with the real thing.

I went to Yorkdale recently with a keyboard issue expecting to wait hours on an extremely busy Sunday afternoon, with the store packed. I waited 5 minutes. The issue is in process, they have ordered my part, and I'm not expecting the one month hassle Mike put me through at York.

The York U. store also couldn't get me free engraving on an iPod purchase, and basically said "Just order through apple.ca yourself." That was fast, convenient and included all available discounts.

Apple's university staff/faculty/student educational discounts are also available at the Yorkdale store, and of course on their website.

Also, check the end of this thread for an additional $40 off:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134036

The $40 coupons have been found to be stackable.

Enjoy!

thejst
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:50 AM
The 12" iBook won't get you the iPod - AFAIK you'll have to go for the 14" to get it. Download the coupon and you'll see that in the fine print. That might change your mind pretty quick.

What are you talking about? That is simply not true. The only iBook NOT included in the promo is the 12" with CD-ROM (which they don't sell in Canada). The stock 12" iBook is most definitely included....

James

Grunt
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:51 AM
The 12" iBook won't get you the iPod - AFAIK you'll have to go for the 14" to get it. Download the coupon and you'll see that in the fine print. That might change your mind pretty quick.

*sigh*...as I never cease explaining to people, this is not true. The fine print states, quote (emphasis mine):

The 12-inch iBook with CD-ROM drive is also excluded from this offer.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A COMBO DRIVE AND A CD-ROM DRIVE! :D The mysterious iBook this refers to is a special iBook sold without a combo drive only through the education store - not the one you get for $1199 with a student discount, which has a combo drive and is eligible for the offer.

thejst
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:55 AM
(echos Grunts Sigh)

elook
Aug 8th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Please, excuse me while I re-attach my head.

Sometimes I just love the "friendly" Mac community. AFAIK means "as far as I know" and now I know farther. Perhaps the education will extend to the nice employee at the Yorkdale Apple Store who also told me this.

As this "mysterious" iBook with the CD-ROM is unknown to us poor Canadians, we are left with no alternative but to assume that when they refer to a 12" iBook with a CD-ROM drive, that they mean the only 12" iBook that they sell us here. How could I have been so stupid?

Thanks for clearing this up.

lostchild
Aug 8th, 2005, 08:29 PM
thanks for all the replies everyone!

that was quick and plentiful. didn't expect that in one day