: iBook or Mini

someone
Aug 7th, 2005, 01:09 AM
The iBook is the old 14in/1.33G/60G/256mb/AE/4x SDR model for CDN$1215 (I am serious. Also, I actually have to squint on the 12in iBook due to my advanced myopia)

The mini is the new low end mini with SDR for $723 + $250 for 17in LCD monitor (clearance item) + $50 MKB

I will be going off to university this september and I will probably have to do presentations in various classes. The iBook would be faster to setup for presentations, but the mini could also be used for this with a little extra work on setup.

Which one should I buy?

DBerG
Aug 7th, 2005, 01:13 AM
I was confronted with the same choice a while ago. I'm going to buy a lovely iBook soon. The 14" seems to be a pretty good deal and won't need much more RAM to do presentations and the configuration seems fine. I'd go with the iBook, but that's me. If you want more screen estate, the mini could fit better.

andrewenterprise
Aug 7th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Definately the iBook. Way more convienent, almost identical performance wise. If more screen space is needed, get a monitor to go with the iBook.

someone
Aug 7th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Also, in your opinion, is the superdrive a necessary item? How long does a 4x SDR take to burn a full DVD?

someone
Aug 7th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Definately the iBook. Way more convienent, almost identical performance wise. If more screen space is needed, get a monitor to go with the iBook.
The 14in has almost the same amount of screen space as my 17in CRT monitor and I am not doing any design work.

DBerG
Aug 7th, 2005, 01:33 AM
I'd go with an external Superdrive. Or you can upgrade later a 12" iBook for 200USD (as I said on the post from Applelover, a few minutes ago). PM me if interested. :) Repeting myself.

someone
Aug 7th, 2005, 01:49 AM
I'd go with an external Superdrive. Or you can upgrade later a 12" iBook for 200USD (as I said on the post from Applelover, a few minutes ago). PM me if interested. :) Repeting myself.
For the mini, an external superdrive isn't necessarily cheaper than the BTO and a slot-loading superdrive is not only more integrated, but also more resistant to dust. Tray-loading drives literally sucks in dust whenever they open their trays.

TrevX
Aug 7th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Also, in your opinion, is the superdrive a necessary item? How long does a 4x SDR take to burn a full DVD?

Full DVD on my mini takes about 15 minutes, 13 to burn the disc and approximately 2 during the Lead Out writing portion.

Trev

dona83
Aug 7th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Whoa like the days of my blazingly fast 4x CD-RW drive :)

8x and 16x media is a bit expensive tho.

and Dual Layer media, let's not start talking about that.

TrevX
Aug 7th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Whoa like the days of my blazingly fast 4x CD-RW drive :)

8x and 16x media is a bit expensive tho.

and Dual Layer media, let's not start talking about that.

Hehe yeah, not quite as bad though seeing as the data transfer rates are MUCH higher. I mean really, 13 minutes for a full 4.7GB is fast in my book.
However, the 8X media I am using was very very cheap. Spindle of 50 Sony DVD-R 1x-8x for $25 at Walmart.

Trev

someone
Aug 7th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Hehe yeah, not quite as bad though seeing as the data transfer rates are MUCH higher. I mean really, 13 minutes for a full 4.7GB is fast in my book.
However, the 8X media I am using was very very cheap. Spindle of 50 Sony DVD-R 1x-8x for $25 at Walmart.

Trev
Are your CD-Rs Made in Japan or Made in Taiwan. Have you produced any coasters from your spindle yet?