: Quick first look - Macally BT Micro

dona83
Aug 5th, 2005, 05:44 PM
This mouse has a nice feel to it, even though it is a bit small for my big hands, it's very light even with its two AAA rechargable batteries -- yes rechargable. Even though the BT Mini (BT Jr.) looks a lot more sleek, the rechargable batteries wooed me because I mean be honest, having to throw away alkalines every so and so days is annoying, and so is having to switch batteries in and out. The charging base station does not serve as a Bluetooth hub, but I think a lot of Apple users get Bluetooth built in anyway. In time I'll give the number of days the mouse can go without requiring a recharge. On to performance, it works great. The scroll wheel is smooth, the optical sensors feel just a tad less responsive than my Logitech MX700 at home, although feels just as good as most average optical sensors out there. At twenty feet away it's just as responsive, the only quirk being that it's hard to see a 12" screen from twenty feet away but that's hardly the mouse's fault or the screen's fault. The one quirk I do have is that it takes awhile to get the thing going again when you turn it on again. Now I'm not talking about after it goes to sleep, just like most modern Apples the mouse wakes up very easily after a mouse click, and it will wake up the computer as well -- very convenient. I'm talking about the energy saving on-off switch at the bottom of the mouse, although very handy, what happens is that if I turn the mouse off while my computer is asleep and turn it back on to turn the computer back on, the computer will not recognize it as a mouse. To fix this I just simply turn it off and on again. Not a deal breaker because the sleep modedoes work, I think the on-off switch is just there where there is potential to turn the mouse on, and thus turn the computer on as well. In most cases the excellent sleep mode works well. Overall, a great mouse and if you're thinking about getting a new portable mouse and have Bluetooth, look no further. $64.99 at most retailers.

Pros:
-Very light, comfortable feel despite very small size.
-Responsive optical sensor, even from twenty feet away.
-Rechargable, need I say more?

Cons:
-Has a hard time waking after being turned on.
-Does not look quite as nice as it's sibling the BT Mini Jr.

dona83
Aug 5th, 2005, 05:58 PM
The mouse does not wake up the computer when the lid is closed (phew, I may never have to use the on-off switch then!), and the optical sensors don't turn on until it is actively paired with a computer that's turned on, so there shouldn't be too much battery wasted by just keeping it asleep in a backpack.

corinthian
Aug 5th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Great review. I've been looking into a new Bluetooth mouse for my iMac g5.

What about the rubberized sides? Are they comfortable?

dona83
Aug 5th, 2005, 06:24 PM
They actually add a great deal of comfort to the mouse and makes it less likely to slip out of your fingers which is what most people except little kids would hold this baby by. :) For your iMac G5 though I do highly recommend a full size mouse. I have a full size mouse at home, this new one is simply for travelling convenience.

lpkmckenna
Aug 5th, 2005, 06:57 PM
I've got the BT Mini. It's ok, but I have just one problem with it: it shuts off too quickly. Every time I read a long webpage or do typing, the mouse will power down to save battery life. I hate this! I would much prefer an on/off switch. The Apple BT Mouse has this and I never had a problem.

I don't like the BT Micro charging cradle. The overall size with charger ends up being the same size as the BT Mini. I use rechargeable batteries with a plug-in charger.

So the Mini is ok otherwise, but I plan to trade up to the Radtech BT 500. It's much smaller, so it's better for my slim laptop bag.

HowEver
Aug 5th, 2005, 07:15 PM
"Working distance up to 33 ft"

Now that will come in handy...

dona83
Aug 5th, 2005, 07:19 PM
???

I assume that most people would keep the charging cradle at home or work and just have the mouse with them... correct me if I'm wrong there. :P Heh...

lpkmckenna
Aug 5th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Perhaps that's what most people would do. I would prefer knowing that if the batteries die, I can do something about it, even when I'm not home.

A good compromise would be a BT mouse that recharged by connecting it to the USB port via a removable cable. I have seen at least one mouse like this: http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GME225B. However, I think it's ugly.