: Switch victory ... a few PCs and a few years later

GratuitousApplesauce
Aug 5th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Over the years, I've convinced several people to get Macs. Some of those have convinced others to get Macs. Hey Apple, if you're listening, sending a free Powerbook my way would be nice. :)

A couple I know, around 5 years or so ago, were asking me what they should get for their first ever computer. I of course said "Get an iMac, you're beginners and it will do everything you need it to do, without a lot of the issues you might have with a PC". A few weeks later I saw the wife of the couple and asked her if she had got a computer yet. She admitted that she got a bargain PC, it was cheaper and their daughter was used to PCs.

Over the years, I kept hearing about problems they had with both the hardware and problems they had keeping the system operating. I think they had to return the first one and had some problems with its replacement. I just kept saying to them, "You should have got that iMac".

I believe they got a second bargain PC and I was talking with the husband of the couple who expressed some frustration about the fact that they couldn't keep it running without it constantly crashing. They had no idea what the problem was and I'm not sure that they had any more knowledgeable PC using friend to help them.

Yesterday they finally bought a Mac Mini. At the last minute they were still looking at a cheap Dell system for a comparable price, but the husband was pushing for the Mac. They have an Apple keyboard and Mighty Mouse coming in 10 days and will be using their old monitor. I'm going to help them get it all set up. I'm recommending getting a KVM switch so they can still use their old PC and to make it easier in migrating to the Mac.

I don't know much at all about PCs, never having owned one and only using my brother's sometimes for web browsing, so I may need to ask some questions about getting them switched over, as things come up.

Vexel
Aug 5th, 2005, 02:58 PM
:clap: Great Job! A lot of us come from quite the Windows backgrounds here. I myself am quite familiar with both. Currently don't own a PC.. but I can 'get around' so to speak :)

Converts for me? probably around 10 or 12 since OS X's release :)

GratuitousApplesauce
Aug 5th, 2005, 02:58 PM
I don't know what happened there. I was finished the post and changing the thread title while previewing it and the thing got submitted. Maybe I inadvertently hit the submit button. Anyway the thread title is wrong and I don't think that it's editable now. It should have read:

Switch victory ... a few PCs and a few years later

If there's a mod around who wants to bother changing it, please do. :)

GratuitousApplesauce
Aug 5th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Converts for me? probably around 10 or 12 since OS X's release :)
Yeah, what would Apple have done without it's evangelizing customers? Probably gone under in the 90s. I say - free Powerbooks for all those who have brought converts into the fold. :D

Vexel
Aug 5th, 2005, 03:12 PM
I'll take a new Mactel :o and a copy of leopard? ;)

SoyMac
Aug 5th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Yeah, what would Apple have done without it's evangelizing customers? Probably gone under in the 90s. ... :D
I think Apple already did the work, and that's why they have evangelizing customers! :)

GratuitousApplesauce
Aug 5th, 2005, 04:23 PM
I think Apple already did the work, and that's why they have evangelizing customers! :)Yea, and I say verily unto you, that there were many of the brethren and sisteren, who in the darkest days of the mid to late 90s, long before the second coming of the Jobs, before the miracle of OSX, when the Macs they owned were encased in the beigest of beige plastic, who did evangelize with a pure heart, and lo, their evangelizing was good. :D

CN
Aug 5th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Yea, and I say verily unto you, that there were many of the brethren and sisteren, who in the darkest days of the mid to late 90s, long before the second coming of the Jobs, before the miracle of OSX, when the Macs they owned were encased in the beigest of beige plastic, who did evangelize with a pure heart, and lo, their evangelizing was good.

Thats great :D

I have switched 7 people (my family, grandparents and a few friends). It was really easy to switch my family, once they saw the ease of use of OS X and how easy the switch was for me (no huge incomptabilities or anything) they jumped right in :D

Heart
Aug 6th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Apple updates the Switch Site:

http://www.apple.com/switch

DBerG
Aug 6th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Apple updates the Switch Site:

http://www.apple.com/switch
Yay, last update was in 2002 I think. Reading time!

J-Money
Aug 6th, 2005, 02:26 AM
It's funny reading PC stories of people who always crash their PCs. Is it just me, or are they doing something wrong with the computer? Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the fact that OSX is very stable and almost immune to viruses, but I've been using windows for so long, and never have I encountered my PC crashing for no reason, 10 times a row in one day. The performance of my PC might get slower (which would be remedied with a re-format), but never has it been as bad as all these "switcher" stories.

SoyMac
Aug 6th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Yea, and I say verily unto you, that there were many of the brethren and sisteren, who in the darkest days of the mid to late 90s, long before the second coming of the Jobs, before the miracle of OSX, when the Macs they owned were encased in the beigest of beige plastic, who did evangelize with a pure heart, and lo, their evangelizing was good. :D
Okay. Thou speakest truthfully, and unto the now converted.

"sisteren"?!!
Oh! Geez, I can't stop giggling!
Is it the beer, the weed, the cough syrup, or the biblical revisionism?
;)

But seriously, good point, GratuitousApplesauce.

SoyMac
Aug 6th, 2005, 02:30 AM
It's funny reading PC stories of people who always crash their PCs. Is it just me, or are they doing something wrong with the computer? Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the fact that OSX is very stable and almost immune to viruses, but I've been using windows for so long, and never have I encountered my PC crashing for no reason, 10 times a row in one day. The performance of my PC might get slower (which would be remedied with a re-format), but never has it been as bad as all these "switcher" stories.
It's just you.

:)

DBerG
Aug 6th, 2005, 03:01 AM
It's just you.

:)
Yep Windows Sux. Going to bed now. :) Gd'nit'

Chealion
Aug 6th, 2005, 03:36 AM
If there's a mod around who wants to bother changing it, please do. :)

It would be my pleasure ;)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away. After all, that's why ehMac was made.

GratuitousApplesauce
Aug 6th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Thanks for changing the thread title, Chealion! :)

someone
Aug 7th, 2005, 12:39 AM

Personally, I've also had very few problems with my PC other than unresponsiveness (It's an AMD K6-2 and I really can't expect much in terms of speed...). I never had problems with spyware and virus (combination of spyware blaster + firefox + unpreviliged user helped). What irks me about PCs is that you have to go through so many loops to do something that's very simple. One example is Excel for windows: The next time you use it, count the number of clicks it takes to hide and unhide 10 worksheets and you will know what I mean. Another example of this is automation. On PCs, there is no equivalent of Applescript, which despite its ugly syntax, allows you to quickly whip up a script to deal with repetitive tasks. On PCs, you will either have spend 8 hours learning, writing and debugging your VBA app, or spend 8 hours clicking your way through.

CN
Aug 7th, 2005, 12:48 AM
I agree...I never had many problems of PCs actually crashing resulting in major data loss...more just the little annoyance. Having to re-format every few months to speed up the system, dealing with viruses (takes a long time to scan for them, and a long time to download virus definitions on dial up) and spyware, having one application screw up so your whole computer has to restart and always being a bit worried that the next virus would be the big one that takes out my entire computer. With a Mac, I don't have to worry so much about this stuff...I just use my computer, it does what I need it to do, with the minimum amount of maintenance. For me, thats the main advantage of OS X.