: Anyone else having trouble with VLC 8.2?

kissenger
Aug 5th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Everytime I try to play AVIs (haven't tried other types) in VLC player, it crashes. Everytime. I tried to restart and it didn't help. Anyone else having this same issue and/or know what to do about it?

kloan
Aug 5th, 2005, 03:11 AM
No problems on my end.. running 10.4.2.

What OS are you running?

Vexel
Aug 5th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Try deleting the prefs.. do a search for "org.videolan.vlc.plist" deleting it should bring it back to when you originally installed it. Good luck.. no problems here either.. OS X 10.4.2

HJS
Aug 5th, 2005, 03:42 AM
I think it might be time for you to do an OS re-install on your machine, or at least run some utilities. I haven't had any problems with VLC 0.8.1 or 0.8.2 on various machines-Panther and Tiger. Are you sure they are complete .avi files, not partially downloaded? Will they play fine in Quicktime, just with no sound and/or video? You can try to install DIVX, XVID codecs into Quicktime folder-most .avi files will also play that way, but VLC seems to work with every .avi I've tried, unless the file is corrupt/incomplete.

kissenger
Aug 5th, 2005, 05:44 AM
I am running 10.4.2 on a revD 12" Powerbook.
I have Quicktime Pro 7, which only plays maybe half of the AVIs I'm trying to play (can't believe that quicktime doesn't have playlist support; well there is a way, but its cumbersome)

I deleted the "org.videolan.vlc.plist" file (both copes: ~/Library/Preferences and ~/Library/Safe Preferences)

I also ran MacJanitor's Daily, Weekly, and Monthly tasks.

VLC used to play these AVIs just fine.

Not only does VLC crash when it opens after i open the AVI, it also crashes after I simply open it on its own, which means that its not even the AVIs that are causing the problem.

This problem seems to have started occurring after I dled 0.8.2 so I will try reinstalling 0.8.1 and try that...

EDIT: 0.8.1 doesnt work either.

EDIT2: Checked the VLC forums and found a thread exactly about my problem. Deleteing the ~/Library/Preferences/VLC folder fixed the problem. Guess it had something to do with VLC cache (as that was basically the only thing in the VLC folder)

You guys/girls can all stop worrying about me know, everything is fine. :D

EDIT3: I really like how "they" incorporated the playlist window into the controller; now if only there was a way to make the controller stick to the video window...

CN
Aug 5th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Working fine for me...

Vexel
Aug 5th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Also.. just for future reference. This thread should have been posted in Mac Help and Troubleshooting :)

gnatsum
Aug 5th, 2005, 11:59 AM
you know i hate AVI's, until someone on ehmac finally told me about VLC,

but that doesn't help me out when i have to stream an AVI.

i hate quicktime.

i have tried downloading all those divx things, but what the hell happens after that? how the hell do i know, how do i know what just happened. is it working? i don't see anything, AVI's still can never play on quicktime...

i hate this codec B.S.

VLC saved my life. i can finally watch those Samurai Jack episodes.

but there are a few AVI's i downloaded which VLC cannot play, i wanted to watch a video of Vision Gran Turismo (GT5)

JAMG
Aug 6th, 2005, 03:18 PM
VLC o.8.2 under Panther 3.4 blows... in a minor way.

Almost every AVI file starts with the sound disabled. I have to switch outta full screen mode and use the Audio menu to disable sound then re-enable track 1 to hear any thing.

The whinny "computer is too slow" warning comes up a lot more often, particually is any other apps are running. I'm used to watching while other aps work.

Probably bloated programming is the cause. I'm going to look for an earlier version in the mean time.