: Windows Vista, problems already?!

Jordan
Aug 4th, 2005, 10:50 PM
New viruses for Vista. (http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/08/04/vistaviruses/index.php?lsrc=mwrss) :cool:

DBerG
Aug 4th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Y-a-y!!!

dona83
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Wow I thought getting viruses while Windows XP was installing was bad. :P viruses while still in beta, wow... haha

Grunt
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Surprising? Not in the slightest.

CN
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Jeez what took them so long? ;) :D

Grunt
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Jeez what took them so long? ;) :D

They had to teach themselves about the "security" that was in place, of course. :D

DBerG
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:21 PM
So rewriting the Core doesn't seem to solve the security hole problems??? Microsoft is gonna lose many many many users in the upcoming future.

SoyMac
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:31 PM
... Microsoft is gonna lose many many many users in the upcoming future.
Im not so sure. If so many people are still using Windows after everything they've been through, why would they switch when Windows isn't changing? It looks like Vista is just more of the same old. Are Windows users going to switch if the operating system they've tolerated this long doesn't change?

CN
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Hehehe...I'm a bit worried that when I have to use a PC (I will at some point during university) my years using a Mac will come back to haunt me...how will I know how to protect my self from all the viruses/spyware? I've never lived in the wild, how will I survive? Oh well...

DBerG
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Im not so sure. If so many people are still using Windows after everything they've been through, why would they switch when Windows isn't changing? It looks like Vista is just more of the same old. Are Windows users going to switch if the operating system they've tolerated this long doesn't change?
B4 I had my iPod I was aware that Apple was there, but only for Quicktime (program I hated, since it was ****** slow on my P166 back in the days). And now that I'm aware of OS X, I'm aware of the Macintosh and what it is and everything. (I used to bash macs just a bit, like most PC user do). They do because they don't know what's waiting for them at Cupertino. They do because they don't really know what's best and since they were on PCs that long they kinda developed a partenership with Microsoft in a sort of way and they're sticking religiously with them, just like we're sticking religiously (most of us) with the Mac. I think that this can change slowly but surely in the future. :)

SoyMac
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:58 PM
... I was aware that Apple was there, .... (I used to bash macs just a bit, like most PC user do).
Yep. I did the same thing. "Stupid Apple. One button mouse? What a crappy computer."
They do because they don't know what's waiting for them at Cupertino. They do because they don't really know what's best and since they were on PCs that long they kinda developed a partenership with Microsoft in a sort of way and they're sticking religiously with them,
Again, that was me.
"Microsoft is the best, because I've put thousands of dollars into trying to get my Windows system stable, and this time, I'm almost there. Yay, Microsoft!
Apple sucks!"

But I'm less patient and more often drunk, than most people. So I switched sooner.
;)

DBerG
Aug 5th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Good student :cool: My last post must have been my longest post ever.Yep. I did the same thing. "Stupid Apple. One button mouse? What a crappy computer."

Again, that was me.
"Microsoft is the best, because I've put thousands of dollars into trying to get my Windows system stable, and this time, I'm almost there. Yay, Microsoft!
Apple sucks!"

But I'm less patient and more often drunk, than most people. So I switched sooner.
;)

planders
Aug 5th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Don't forget that this is still a REALLY early build of Vista, and MS has already said that the new security features are not included in it. Not sure why they made it so widely available, frankly. As with past versions, I will reserve all judgement until there's a shipping version.

These kinds of things are probably among the reasons that Apple never makes prerelease versions of OS X available to ordinary folks, and fights the rumour-traders so aggressively...

K_OS
Aug 5th, 2005, 01:14 PM
One down many to go :D

Laterz :)

Steve-O
Aug 5th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Hasta la VISTA baby!!!

hah thats the 2nd time ive used that, but this time it worked better.

CN
Aug 5th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Hasta la VISTA baby!!!

Please tell me you're not going to post that every time theres a thread about Vista :D

Its a good line...but unlike fine wine and cheese...it doesn't get better as it ages :D

Steve-O
Aug 5th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Please tell me you're not going to post that every time theres a thread about Vista :D

Its a good line...but unlike fine wine and cheese...it doesn't get better as it ages :D

ok fine i wont.....hasta la vis....woops. I just need to figure out something else to say about it.

how about:

Every time God opens a door he crashes a window?

Mugatu
Aug 5th, 2005, 06:33 PM
I've had a copy of Vista on a machine at work this past week it seems decent. Beta 1 seems about as stable as OS X at release. :P

DBerG
Aug 5th, 2005, 07:29 PM
I've had a copy of Vista on a machine at work this past week it seems decent. Beta 1 seems about as stable as OS X at release. :P
That's not good.
And Microsoft is not updating their OS as often as Apple (for now at least).

Mugatu
Aug 5th, 2005, 10:13 PM
No it isn't. Beta 1 just seems like they're not too sure where they are or where they want to go with Vista. But hey, that's what Betas are all about.

Grunt
Aug 5th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Beta 1 just seems like they're not too sure[...]where they want to go with Vista.

Oh, they're sure. They want it to be just like Tiger. :D Their coders just haven't churned out the code that will let them do this yet..if they're capable of doing so. :D

Peter Sensei
Aug 5th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Would this be a beta virus or a beta hacker ?

TrevX
Aug 6th, 2005, 09:03 AM
The "virus" in the story is not really a virus at all, just a malicious script/batch file that takes advantage of MONAD, which is Microsoft's new command line interface. It doesn't exploit any holes in Vista at all, and its really nothing more than a social engineering hack, because people will have to actually run this for it to do anything. However, Microsoft has already stated that MONAD will not be included in the consumer version's of Vista, but will be in Longhorn Server.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Trev