: G5 iMac for 45 dollars...too good to be true????

mac_girl
Aug 4th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I stumbled upon this ad on ebay.ca today. It says it's a police auction, and that they have 74, G5 iMacs for 45 dollars each. This just seems too good to be true. When they don't want to use paypal, and instead want to recieve a check within 2 days (how can I do that anyway, when I live on the west coast), it just sounds like a scam. I was just wondering what you guys think. Do you think it is a scam or the real deal.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Police-Auction-Imac-G5-90-Discount_W0QQitemZ5795908126QQcategoryZ51036QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers, mac_girl :confused:

Grunt
Aug 4th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Yeah, this does seem suspicious - anyone in the Ottawa area willing to investigate?

edit: oh, yes, I've seen this before. Thanks to CanadaRAM for reminding me this type of scam existed.

CanadaRAM
Aug 4th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Mac_girl, Mac_girl you didn't read the fine print.

They aren't selling an iMac G5 at all -- they are selling a document which tells you how to buy things at police auctions.

Here, I'll save you the $25 shipping charge on that auction. THis is what you'll get:

Step One: Locate the local police non-emergency number in your phone book
Step Two: Phone them and ask when the next baliff's auction is taking place
Step Three: Attend the auction and bid on junk
Step Four: Repeat for all of the police forces in your area.

Good luck. Armed with this secret and valuable knowledge, you too can buy iMacs for as little as $45 and Rolex watches starting at $15 and Hummers for $500 and up.

You can mail me the $45 in used bills to

1234 Theresasuckerborn Road
Every Minute, BC HAH AHA

Thanks ;)

comprehab
Aug 4th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Looks VERY suspicious.... I wouldn't risk it.

CN
Aug 4th, 2005, 07:49 PM
$45 for an email...what a deal!

Honestly people, you're never going to get an iMac or anything for super cheap, ever! You have to buy it from someone, and guess what? They want to make money too! Even at these auctions, other people are savvy to the deals to, so you won't save that much.

Even those $50 iBook they're offering somewhere in Virginia are not THAT great of a deal. These have been used by little kids for 3-4 years...the trackpads and keyboards are probably pretty dead, screen is probably scratched up, battery done, and many scuffs etc. Sure its still cheap for a functioning computer...but not quite such a good deal when you really think about it.

guytoronto
Aug 4th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Wow! Great price!

I've grabbed one, and sent the guy an e-mail, saying that if he is in the GTA, I'll pick up the computer personally and pay cash. No way I am going to do a wire transfer without a guarantee of product.

CN
Aug 4th, 2005, 07:54 PM
It doesn't say anywhere on that auction that you're getting a G5 iMac for your $45...just info.

mac_girl
Aug 4th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Thanks I didn't read the fine print. I also noticed that he is charging 25 dollars shipping on what is probably a couple pieces of paper. :eek:

CanadaRAM
Aug 4th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks I didn't read the fine print. I also noticed that he is charging 25 dollars shipping on what is probably a couple pieces of paper. :eek:
Why do you think you'd get two pieces? :D

Reported his scummy @$$ to eBay.