: Sony PS3 may support OSX

Vexel
Aug 4th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Sony is expected to offer optional hard drives for the PS3 with potential memory capacity of 80 or 120 GB. It remains to be decided whether the standard version of the PS3 will come complete with a hard drive. The operating system has also yet to be clarified. The integrated Cell processor will be able to support a variety of operating systems (such as Linux or Apple's Tiger).

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowArticle.action?article=1121156666920

I really really really really want one now! :D

Did I mention "REALLY?" ;)

harzack86
Aug 4th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Yeah... although it won't support the next OS X generation based on Intel procs ;-)

Vexel
Aug 4th, 2005, 01:52 PM
I think Leopard is going to be for both PPC and Intel isn't it? I can't even remember now :o

harzack86
Aug 4th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I think you're right! I hope I can install it on my good old G4 MDD too ;-)

scootsandludes
Aug 4th, 2005, 02:00 PM
I think OSX will be supported on PPC for a long time. It took over 4 years to switch to OSX, their not about to leave millions of users behind because their switching to Intel.

BTW I want one to, where do I stand to line up?
vince

mguertin
Aug 4th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Don't hold your breath on OSX working on a PS3 ... they don't support non-apple hardware, and I _highly_ doubt that they will start off the non-apple hardware support with a game console!

Also I'm not sure where they got their info from, but I've not heard of a cell based piece of hardware running OSX. The Cell is NOT a standard PowerPC, but it has a PowerPC emulation layer (much as PowerPC emulates 68k)

Vexel
Aug 4th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Thing is.. according to the document. They haven't chosen an OS for the PS3 yet. It says, since it's based on PPC.. it will support OS X. What a great way for Apple to license the OS and get more people hooked! ;) What would make the PS3 NOT compatible? Just wondering.. as I'm not sure. :) I thought it was the PPC that was the problem?

mguertin
Aug 4th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Why does everyone think that because any hardware platform is based on PPC (in this case a PPC derivative) that it will support OSX? That's about as blanket a statement as they come! I read that document too and had the exact same thought that I posted here, so no blame laid on anyone here or anything, except to whoever wrote that initial document (I read it first on macintouch.com this morning).

The entire hardware package from motherboard to chipsets to controllers and controller chips (audio/video/network/etc). Boot sequence plays a big part as well, in all currently supported macs it's Open Firmware and also specifically the elf boot file format. That's just the tip of the iceburg!

Technically it might be _possible_ that they could make OSX support the machine, but it's highly unlikely that Apple would go for that amount of work. I suspect that the mach kernel would need some large hacks in order to support the Cell processor and whatever boot environment they are using and it not only wouldn't be worth it but it realyl just doesn't make any sense. To do what that statement proposes it would basically mean making the PS3 game environment run _under_ OSX, which is also very unlikely.

Most game type hardware of this sort will be developed with their own OS (of sorts), often based on existing systems like Linux, BSD, QNX, VxWorks, etc. and most times they will keep it very proprietary and very locked down to protect their trade secrets! :)

For example the Xbox, which can now run Linux, custom dashbaords, etc... but the only reason this ever happened is a) sloppy developers who left fully exposed copies of their encryption keys on their DVD media, and b) poor programming that left holes for buffer overflows so that users could inject their own software (and therefore get control of the hardware/software and put in their preferred stuff) ;)