: New User Questions: (Don't laugh, I've used a wintel since the crib)

lynch
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Alright, my new iBook came last night and already I have a few questions. Hopefully this will help some other people out.

1. I seem to get into some sort of mode where clicking on the icons on the dock just takes me to their location in the finder. I can't figure out how I've toggled this on or off, but it's happened a couple times now. What am I turning on and how do I stop turning it on?

2. What do you use to watch Xvids on your Mac? I downloaded MPlayer which works alright, but I'm not sure it's the best solution.

3. Is there any way to see the quality of a wireless connection without actually connecting to it?

That's it for first round. Thanks in advance guys.

TrevX
Aug 4th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Alright, my new iBook came last night and already I have a few questions. Hopefully this will help some other people out.

1. I seem to get into some sort of mode where clicking on the icons on the dock just takes me to their location in the finder. I can't figure out how I've toggled this on or off, but it's happened a couple times now. What am I turning on and how do I stop turning it on?
I know holding the command-key while clicking the icons will show the application in the Finder. Do you perhaps have a program that makes the command-key sticky?

2. What do you use to watch Xvids on your Mac? I downloaded MPlayer which works alright, but I'm not sure it's the best solution.
I personally use MPlayer, but VLC is also a good choice.

3. Is there any way to see the quality of a wireless connection without actually connecting to it?

MacStumbler (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14746) is a good program. It "sniffs" wireless networks and tells you the strength of the signal, and optionally allows you to "auto connect" to them.

Hope this helps,

Trev

trump
Aug 4th, 2005, 09:10 PM
there's also a lot of Widgets that sniff out wireless networks - my personal favorite is the one by MacWireless (available at Apple.ca)