: Apple screwing resellers?

guytoronto
Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:59 PM
A call to the Apple store reveals that they have the new iBooks in stock (they apparently have received a few shipments since they were announced).

Calling around to the local resellers reveals they have NOTHING. They have been waiting for anything from Apple. And this is with large orders placed the day of announcement.

Apple definitely is screwing the local resellers. The Apple Store will never get my business.

Heart
Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:31 PM
And then you read this too!

Apple just called me to buy a PowerMac... ehMac Link
https://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?t=29553&goto=newpost

CN
Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:36 PM
Sounds like they ship them to their own stores first so as to pick up more sales (the people who can't wait to buy)...not the best tactics to garner a good relationship/trust between resellers and Apple.

CanadaRAM
Aug 3rd, 2005, 03:31 PM
..not the best tactics to garner a good relationship/trust between resellers and Apple.
Ancient history. They lost that about 10 years ago.

someone
Aug 3rd, 2005, 03:42 PM
I wonder how come there are still resellers who are willing to sell Apple's products...

KILOFINAL
Aug 3rd, 2005, 03:45 PM
Support your local Authorized Apple Reseller. Margins are tight and these are the professionals who will service your equipment. The day I bought my 20"iMac from Carbon Computing, BestBuy had a sale where they were selling 20" iMac's for $200 off MSRP. This was for the Rev.B machine.

I still bought from Carbon Computing at full price.

thejst
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:33 PM
Support your local Authorized Apple Reseller. Margins are tight and these are the professionals who will service your equipment. The day I bought my 20"iMac from Carbon Computing, BestBuy had a sale where they were selling 20" iMac's for $200 off MSRP. This was for the Rev.B machine.

Yeah, Well, money is tight (for most) as well. The resellers I have approached for hardware purchases all have had exorbitant pricing (usually 150$ on top of the Apple store) and will not budge on them.

Even the 'extras' that they sell that (they claim) they CAN discount are still out of whack with reality- Ram is the best example of this. a 512 stick of PC-133 ram for my old PB was $245 at the local reseller and like $90 online-SAME specs (same ram in fact)

Service from a reseller is another matter- if you can find an honest one. Good luck with that. Three made blatant attempts to rip me off to the tune of $700 for a new ibook screen when all I needed was an inverter board ($136)

Funny, it wasn't untill Apple got directly involved in that situation that their diagnosis 'mysteriously' changed.

It could be that I have not found the right reseller, or that the Winnipeg Apple computer market is small and uncompetitive but for the most part,

Apple Authorized Resellers (here) Suck and DESERVE to be put out of business.

Apple screwing resellers? Gee, I wonder why ;)

Kosh
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:48 PM
And then you read this too!

Apple just called me to buy a PowerMac... ehMac Link
https://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?t=29553&goto=newpost

They've been doing that for a couple of years now. And why not! You're a prospective buyer, you've expressed an interest in buying a Power Mac, but maybe something was holding you back from finalizing the order! Lots of other companies call us to try and sell us stuff over the phone... Sears, Direct Energy, Rogers, Bell,... why not Apple? At work I've had CA, IBM and other send me email or call me after I registered on their site. There's nothing saying a reseller can't phone me! Macdoc sends me emails every once in awhile! I call that initiative. Don't wait for the buyer to come to you, go out approach the buyer. As long as you don't bug me every week.

Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:43 PM

I don't know what the situation is in Winnipeg, but here in Toronto, we do our best to serve the Mac community.

MannyP Design
Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:28 PM
And you guys should do your best to serve the Ottawa community... by opening a store here! PLEASE! ;)

Vexel
Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:38 PM

They aren't very good here in Sydney either.. I wouldn't care either way. But... I also know they will never ever ever build an Apple Store here. My only options.. are Lars' store in Halifax or Online.

iPetie
Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:39 PM
And you guys should do your best to serve the Ottawa community... by opening a store here! PLEASE! ;)Things that make you Hmmm!
Carbon is a very nice setup, Both locations are a dream.

Oddsbodkin
Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:38 PM
A little over a year ago when I needed a new computer, I went to MacStation in Burnaby BC (they closed their Maple Ridge store months before). They had onle one new iMac and could not show me ANYTHING new in eMacs or G5s - nor could they tell me when they could get me an eMac 1.25GHz Superdrive. I knew a couple of the MacStation employees since 1998 when I bought my first Mac at the Maple Ridge store. I asked them how on Earth they could run a business under those circumstances, and they could only spread their arms in desperation. I felt really bad for them that I had to get the machine from London Drugs - the last eMac left in their Greater Vancouver inventory!! Odds

Vexel
Aug 4th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Much the same with the reseller here. They barely ever have a Computer to be seen. And if they do have a demo model.. it's something on the low end. Last time I went there.. they had a Mac Mini on display. I don't know how they expect to do business like that. It's truly sad.. I really wish I had somewhere local I could support by making my purchases there.

On top of that.. they were really bad with a repair I needed a while back with my iSight. Therefore.. I can no longer support them at all. It's just not worth the hassle to me.

Sad but true :(

mac_geek
Aug 4th, 2005, 01:30 AM
I kind of understand (not necessarily agree, but understand,) the supporting arguments for choosing resellers over Apple.. but I'm still left asking myself "why?"

Why would you choose Apple as a hardware choice.. but not as a retailer?

For me, I vote with my hard earned finite dollars for the place where I'll get the widest assortment of well priced inventory, in a store enviroment that makes me feel good. For me, that means Apple Stores or Apple on-line.

I'm sorry, but most resellers I've walked in to can't compete with the corporate dollars that Apple has. And while I'd love to build the business for the small guy, where I spend my money shouldn't come at a disadvantage to me.

(Oh boy... now I've said it. Let the flaming begin.)

Anyway. This board was created to share disparate opinions, right?

thejst
Aug 4th, 2005, 01:52 AM
I don't know what the situation is in Winnipeg, but here in Toronto, we do our best to serve the Mac community.

I'm sure you do. I meant no offense to you- but in YWG there are 2 reseller choices (besides the university) and they both really suck for pricing.

someone on this board wrote something a few months back that stuck with me, and it had to do with buying the hardware for as little as possible at BB or Apple online and all the after-market stuff from 'the little guy'. As an informed consumer, it just seems to make sense.

I don't need someone to hold my hand through a sale. I do my research and get what I want for as little as I can get it for....

Jae
Aug 4th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Much the same with the reseller here. They barely ever have a Computer to be seen. And if they do have a demo model.. it's something on the low end. Last time I went there.. they had a Mac Mini on display.

Aw hey now, we're really proud of our Mac Mini. :] Really the problem for us is that we have to buy, ourselves, any machine being put out as a demo model. :[ So sad... Apple kills us on margins and does unspeakable things when it comes to issuing replacement parts and what not. So please, support your local reseller!

Sincerely,
- J

p.s: if any of you have a 30" Cinema Display to donate, I think it'd look really cool next to our PowerMac G5. :]

CarbonJohn
Aug 4th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Why would you choose Apple as a hardware choice.. but not as a retailer?

It's much more nutritious to buy from us. (My kids can eat) :) Seriously, when my paycheque comes in, I buy groceries from the local grocery, pay municipal, provincinal and federal taxes, buy other goods and services in the area. :)

Why not buy from a local retailer if you have a good one?

For me, I vote with my hard earned finite dollars for the place where I'll get the widest assortment of well priced inventory, in a store enviroment that makes me feel good. For me, that means Apple Stores or Apple on-line.

I'm sorry, but most resellers I've walked in to can't compete with the corporate dollars that Apple has. And while I'd love to build the business for the small guy, where I spend my money shouldn't come at a disadvantage to me.

From Carbon's stand-point, I'd argue we have a much wider selection (http://www.carbonation.com/gallery/index.html) of items than you'd find at the Apple Store.

Pricing for the CPU is the same, and except maybe for the initital first week of demand, availability is the same and often better with us. :)

iPetie
Aug 4th, 2005, 10:38 AM
From Carbon's stand-point, I'd argue we have a much wider selection (http://www.carbonation.com/gallery/index.html) of items than you'd find at the Apple Store.

Pricing for the CPU is the same, and except maybe for the initital first week of demand, availability is the same and often better with us. :)Yes, I would agree completely with this statement as it applies to Carbon.
However John, this is not the case at the majority of resellers in Canada and I would suspect the the US as well.
In Fact, until I walked into your Carbon store, I had never seen a reseller with any stock to speak of and only very limited demo models.
Also, MacDoc is much better stocked than any other Authorized dealer I'd ever been to.

KILOFINAL
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:48 AM
I value my hard earned dollars as much as the next guy. I also place the same value on building strategic relationships. If you can't justify supporting an Authorized Apple Reseller, then perhaps you should ask Apple of America to handle all your warranty claims as well.

Why spend your hard earned money on gas or transportation to take your Apple products to an authorized repair facility? Call the Apple helpdesk and tell them to work it out with you.

Do you really think that the authorized resellers can run a business just on warranty work? I suspect not. You want and need the resellers to perform warranty work, but don't feel the need to support them with your Apple product purchases.

Those two just don't add up.

K_OS
Aug 4th, 2005, 12:19 PM

Unfortunately for me the local reseller is the Apple Store and the next one on the pecking order is Best Buy.

Laterz :)

KILOFINAL
Aug 4th, 2005, 12:30 PM
The Apple Store and then BestBuy??...That's unfortunate. You should then take any warranty claims to those two establishments as well.