: Apple just called me to buy a PowerMac...

J-Money
Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:35 PM
So, I registered for an account at Apple.ca, and I was just adding a few saved carts because I heard that you could get a "$40 off a pruchase of $399 or more" coupon if you had a few large "saved carts." Well, I already got one with my Hotmail Account, but I did the same thing with my yahoo! mail account because the coupon expires in 14 days (the iBook update didn't happen yet, so I didn't want to buy right away).

A few minutes ago, a mac rep called and asked for me, saying "Hey, I'm here to assist you with your PowerMac purchase." For the first 15 secs, I thought to myself "I'm buying a powermac?"

hahaha. So I told him that I planned on getting an iBook instead since I'm going to start University soon. He gave me his extension to call him back if I wanted to purchase it from him... :)

Very helpful of apple to do so. Either that, or they just don't want potential customers to get away. Hahahaha. It's good that he called though, because the website only accepts credit cards, and my limit isn't high enough to purchase a computer. I asked him if I could pay using my bank card, and he said yes.... Just waiting for my student line-of-credit to come through, and I'll get my iBook!

Oh, and just a little question: If I order on the phone, can I still get the educational discount, as well as personalize my iPod with a free engraving?

thejst
Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:42 PM
yes, the discount and free iPod still apply. You have to download the rebate form yourself though.
Good for you for going with the iBook. It's a great little machine.

J-Money
Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:49 PM
That's good to know; how about the engraving on the iPod? Can I still ask for that? I'm really excited to get this iBook. I've been waiting for 6 months, knowing that an update (even though small) would come. I didn't need it in the summer, so I'm happy I waited.

LOL, another Apple Rep just called me while typing this message. Thanks Chris & Matt. ;)

thejst
Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:55 PM
Then I'm sure you know that the iPod engraving is also eligible- One word of caution- BTO noteboks and iPods are not returnable unless they are DOA (and can only be exchanged)
so make your mind up caefully. one small change to the stock configurations can limit your options considerably....
just my 2cents
James

J-Money
Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the info. I've been planning this mac purchase for quite a while now, so I'm fairly sure I won't need to return it.

Only thing I'm concerned of is if I get dead-pixels on the screen.... :(

CN
Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:44 PM
You might want to think twice about the engraving...pretty hard to sell an iPod that says your name/a personal message on it without taking a big hit...or if you find someone else with your name :D

J-Money
Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:48 PM
Who says I'm going to sell it? :P

I was just thinking about it in the shower. I don't really need an engraving, since I probably won't even see it when I put it in a case.

guytoronto
Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:52 PM
Get it engraved with something like...

"Superbowl 2004"

"Toronto Maple Leafs"

"Mike Myers"

"God"

Anything along those lines. Should make it easier to sell. ;)

highapostle
Aug 3rd, 2005, 03:17 PM
One positive about engraving is that it could be useful in tracking it down if it's stolen - hard for someone else to claim it's his iPod when it has your name on it.

DBerG
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:03 PM
I wrote on mine : And the eighth day, God Created iPod.

This should be easy to sell, I think.

HowEver
Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:52 PM
/

HowEver
Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:53 PM

beek
Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:46 PM
Oh, and just a little question: If I order on the phone, can I still get the educational discount, as well as personalize my iPod with a free engraving?

They got me the same way - a girl called me and said they'd noticed i hadn't checked out and do i need any assistance.
iPod engraving and education discount both apply - I didn't want to risk engraving the ipod in case I didnt end up getting the $225 back and I'd decide to sell it, but the girl reassured me several times saying if i mail in the coupon and cut out the labels on all my purchases, then I will definitely get it. Just make copies of everything.

I'm not sure how they check student status because on the phone I didn't give her my student ID, just my school name. Someone else on here says they only check up on that for orders of $4000+.

CN
Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:10 PM
I wrote on mine : And the eighth day, God Created iPod.

Hmm...I can't tell if you're kidding or not :D