: Camino vs. Safari

someone
Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:40 AM
Which one works better in your opinion?

MacDoc
Aug 3rd, 2005, 10:13 AM
Shiira :D http://hmdt-web.net/shiira/en

Ignore the fish - there are other skins.

someone
Aug 3rd, 2005, 10:23 AM
That's very nice.

Although I am still looking for a browser that is not ugly (ie. not Opera for OS X) and support either "super drag and drop" or middle click to open in tabs.

MACSPECTRUM
Aug 3rd, 2005, 10:26 AM
I still like Safari.
It just works and I don't have to worry about future updates. Well, ok, not worry too much.

I've tried Firefox, Shiira, Camino and keep coming back to Safari.

Trin86
Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:11 PM
Yeah I keep coming back to Safari as well. I tried Firefox, IE, Opera, and just kept coming back to Safari. It just makes so much sense. And I love the tabs and the google search tag which is awesome.

MannyP Design
Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:36 PM
Safari pour moi aussi. I find Firefox, Shiira, Camino to be browsers with an identity crisis. Skins aside, there's some polish they are definitely lacking. IMHO. I just don't see the benefits over Safari.

The Doug
Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:52 PM
I use Safari 99% of the time -- I like its looks and functionality, and it does what I need it to do. For the remaining 1% (e.g. a site that won't work in Safari -- but this is less and less of a problem as time goes by) I use FireFox. Sure FireFox seems a bit speedier than Safari however there are little things about it that kinda bug me (I find the address bar and themes can be wonky). The only thing about FireFox that I think beats Safari hands-down is its cookie handling e.g. ask to allow/block.

MacDoc
Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:07 PM
Shiira is hands down better than Safari in my view - it's what Safari SHOULD be. I use both but 90% is Shiira with the Hicks skin.

If you have not checked it out 1.1 it's big jump in speed and it allows you to keep bookmarks synched with Safari if you want.

Don't see how this qualifies as "ugly".
and it has all the Thesaurus and Dictionaries built in with the Google bar.

http://www.macdoc.com/uploads/Picture%203.png

No popups or unders either.:clap:

iPetie
Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:48 PM
Safari 2.0 is hands down the fastest browser on my machine. I find Shiira a little buggy and it seem to crash on me quite often. I used to prefer it.
Camino is really nice, I use the G4 7450 optimized nightly build and it is stable and fast.
Before Safari 2.0, Firefox was the quickest on my machine but now it's the slowest of them all and getting more buggy every day.
So for me,
1 Safari
1a Camino - Could be 1 if it had spell check
2 Shiira
3 Opera
4 Firefox
5 iCab
6 Sunrise
7 IE
But the main thing is, what do you need and prefer. If iCab has something that blows your socks off, use it.

someone
Aug 3rd, 2005, 03:54 PM
Safari 2.0 is hands down the fastest browser on my machine. I find Shiira a little buggy and it seem to crash on me quite often. I used to prefer it.
Camino is really nice, I use the G4 7450 optimized nightly build and it is stable and fast.
Before Safari 2.0, Firefox was the quickest on my machine but now it's the slowest of them all and getting more buggy every day.
So for me,
1 Safari
1a Camino - Could be 1 if it had spell check
2 Shiira
3 Opera
4 Firefox
5 iCab
6 Sunrise
7 IE
But the main thing is, what do you need and prefer. If iCab has something that blows your socks off, use it.
You should wait for Firefox 1.5, which will come out in September. It has numerous OS X specific optimizations and features.

someone
Aug 3rd, 2005, 03:57 PM
Personally, I am just sort of disappointed at Camino at being not that much different from Safari in terms of features etc. This is even more true when it is compared to Safari 2.0. Shiira at least tried to innovate.

iPetie
Aug 3rd, 2005, 03:59 PM
You should wait for Firefox 1.5, which will come out in September. It has numerous OS X specific optimizations and features.Hmm, a lot of Mac Firefox contributors are bailing over to Camino from what I read on Mozillazine Forums.

I'll give it a fair shot and I've used it in the past. Maybe it will be more Mac like but I have my doubts.

someone
Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:06 PM
Hmm, a lot of Mac Firefox contributors are bailing over to Camino from what I read on Mozillazine Forums.

I'll give it a fair shot and I've used it in the past. Maybe it will be more Mac like but I have my doubts.
I guess you just can't beat the Mac experience provided by the real McCoy...

iPetie
Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:14 PM
I guess you just can't beat the Mac experience provided by the real McCoy...I'll trade speed for Mac like and did in the past when Firefox screamed in comparison. I also enjoyed tinkering with extensions. It is a great project and if on the PC it's a slam dunk

jeannot
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:34 PM
I've been using Netscape 7.2 for the last little while and I really like it. I was always running into quirks with Safari. None so far with Netscape!

Orion
Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:29 PM
Camino for me. For whatever reason Safari (1.3) cannot load a local page while waiting for a remote page. Shiira has this problem too. A real PITA for me, especially while on dial-up. Also seems to take forever to load a secure page while all other browsers are just fine.

One thing that Camino and all other Mozilla browsers still seem to do is lose the address from the address bar when a page fails to load. Really annoying when opening a dozen or so tabs and having to hunt down which one failed to load.

I do like Safari; maybe I'm simply more affected by its flaws than Camino's.

Edit: Spell check for Camino would be nice. I understand they're working on it.

MacDoc
Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:33 PM
Shiira crashes??? :eek: - Can't recall 1.1 crashing. Have you tried 1.1 or are you recalling from 1.0??

Safari 2.0 flames out once in a while tho less so on this version.- I find the interface too dull.

I do use Firefox for the TD Website for currency trading but don't like the interface at all.

iPetie
Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:40 PM
Shiira crashes??? :eek: - Can't recall 1.1 crashing. Have you tried 1.1 or are you recalling from 1.0??

Safari 2.0 flames out once in a while tho less so on this version.- I find the interface too dull.

I do use Firefox for the TD Website for currency trading but don't like the interface at all.Yes 1.1, go figure. If he could lose the drawer effect in the sidebar and make that more like Firefox (Kind of like the Bookmark menu in Safari) and stop the Crashes on my PB. I'd give it a chance.
I am going to trash all prefs and the program and try again to see if that fixes it. Also, fricken pithhelmet in the menu blows it up every time.

MacDoc
Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:00 PM
Yeah but why do you need PithHelmit in Shiira????
- I bet that might be your problem. Shiira never allows popups or unders as it stands and you can turn the side drawer off if you want so it does not open automatically. It has the same drop arrows as Safari on the Bookmark Bar. I just like the vertical use of space for additional sites without having to hold the mouse down.

dona83
Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:32 PM
I used Firefox on my Windows XP, and expected to use Firefox when I switched to Mac, but low and behold I'm on Safari, it's just a nice easy to use browser.

iPetie
Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:34 PM
Just trashed and downloaded and re-configured everything for Shiira. Crashed logging onto Magic and logged me out of ehMac in both Shiira and Safari and then crashed again.
Won't do Google maps at all. Trashed pithhelmet, same results on 10.4.2.
Weird or normal? No issues on any other browsers.

I agree it looks great but it is close to unusable for me. It has been one of my favs for some time. Frustrating!

Denjira
Aug 4th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Wow.. you just convinced me to switch to Safari from Firefox.. it's sooo fast! Didn't notice!

MacDoc
Aug 4th, 2005, 02:17 AM
Symptomatic of something else - try a Plist clean up. It uses the standard toolbox as Safari.
Try a new user.

Try an Onyx cleanup too - you got something bad happening.
Font???

MACSPECTRUM
Aug 4th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Wow.. you just convinced me to switch to Safari from Firefox.. it's sooo fast! Didn't notice!

downlaod onyx and set safari browsing to "fast"

also dowload tiger cache cleaner and swap cop to setup a ram disk and point swap files to it and get an even better browsing experience

iPetie
Aug 4th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Symptomatic of something else - try a Plist clean up. It uses the standard toolbox as Safari.
Try a new user.

Try an Onyx cleanup too - you got something bad happening.
Font???Yes, I've done all of that. The only thing I can think of is that one of the Haxies I'm using for Safari is causing Shiira some chaos. Probably Safaricon! However, at this point I'm so happy with Safari and Camino that I don't want to play around with either.