someone
Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:15 AM
Any good deals?

HowEver
Aug 3rd, 2005, 10:50 AM
Targus PA400U DEFCON™ 1 Ultra Notebook Computer Security System

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA400U

http://www.targus.com/us/product_images/pa400u_img1_accessories_b.jpg

"The DEFCON 1 Ultra features a four-digit re-settable combination lock with up to 10,000 unique combinations. A second level of security is provided by the high decibel alarm that is triggered if the cable is severed or the motion sensor is activated. So now security can be simple!"

Exterior Dimensions
# 4.81" x 2.2" x 1.25"
Other
# Battery Life:
Continuous use (lock connected, alarm "off")
Alkaline battery = 5 months
# Retractable Stainless Steel Cable:.09in (2.4 mm) diameter; 3 feet (0.9 meter) length
Technical
# Motion Sensor:high and low sensitivity modes; triggered when device is moved; if motion continues for 4 seconds, alarm will sound for 40 seconds, device then resets to “armed” status
# Combination Lock: re-settable to one of 10,000 unique combinations
# Electronic Alarm: loud, 95db alarm siren activated when lock is engaged; alarm sounds when cable is severed and when motion sensor is armed and triggered; alarm is deactivated when combination lock is released
Warranty
# Limited One Year Warranty
Weight
# 5.9 oz (with batteries installed)

* Easily attaches to your carrying case, luggage, or any notebook with a security lock slot
* Retractable steel cable retracts into plastic housing at the press of a button
* Re-settable 4-digit combination lock- up to one of 10,000 unique combinations available
* LED indicates alarm status
* Alarm is activated when cable is severed or when motion sensor is armed and triggered

someone
Aug 3rd, 2005, 10:59 AM
Eeerrrhhh, that's rather bulky for a security "cable"

HowEver
Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:07 PM
Eeerrrhhh, that's rather bulky for a security "cable"

Okay, Targus has a Defcon that is just a "security cable" but the version I posted (more bulky than a cable, but less than a cable car) is more "secure."

Any computer store should have a $1 cable you can use.

The Defcon with the alarm also has a padded mechanism so that the notebook doesn't get scratched, which it will if you choose the $1 cable.

Vexel
Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:39 PM
I really like it. Definitely a great idea for travel. I like the Alarm :)

travallee
Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:21 PM
The only thing wrong with the alarm is that it always beeps at the slightest nudge, armrest hitting desk, and so on. You also have to put in your combo at light speed for it to turn off before the alarm goes crazy.

mguertin
Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:37 PM
I've always used Kensington security cables ...

guytoronto
Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:50 PM
I've seen any type of lock popped off iBooks and PowerBooks with a flathead screwdriver.

It does some damage to the shell of the computer, but otherwise, it is still usable.

It is more of a deterrent than an actually anti-theft solution.

mguertin
Aug 3rd, 2005, 03:04 PM
Exactly, it's more to stop the grab and run sort of stuff than to really provide real theft protection.

lotus
Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:01 PM
I'm with Travallee on this one. I use to have a Quoram alarm for my camcorder, but gave that up after it went off during a flight to Chicago. One of life's unpleasant experiences!

someone
Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:01 PM
Maybe someone could make a software anti-theft solution by making use of the sudden motion detector...

HowEver
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:12 PM
Maybe someone could make a software anti-theft solution by making use of the sudden motion detector...

Stop! Thief! Don't drop my computer!

someone
Aug 4th, 2005, 12:47 AM
No, that's not how it's supposed to work.

Basically, you will activate the protection program when you leave and when someone moves the computer, an alarm will sound.

Grunt
Aug 4th, 2005, 12:50 AM
What happens when *you* touch the computer? ;)

someone
Aug 4th, 2005, 01:00 AM
What happens when *you* touch the computer? ;)
You can always type in the password to stop the alarm.

A BT remote to control this would be even nicer.

someone
Aug 7th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Apparently, there are many thieves at universities who would go through great length to steal people's computers... I am starting to seriously consider purchasing something that will actually protect my iBook. Any suggesting on a less bulky security cable with alarm?

HowEver
Aug 7th, 2005, 01:56 PM
At universities, like everywhere...

Although I'm pretty sure there are people at York University here in Toronto who wander the halls every single day, 8:30 to 4:30, who are *not* on York's payroll, but instead make a living from every bag left unattended and every door left unlocked.