: Is PC based hardware compatible with Virtual PC?

Applelover
Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:57 PM
Hey I bought a copy of Windows XP today (sigh for $287.00 from Futureshop and no Pirated copies of Windows don't work with VPC 7 for some reason...I tried 3 copies!). Anyhow, when i get home from work I'll be installing Windows XP on VPC7 and just want to know will it detect PC based hardware such as webcams, scanners, printers, mp3 players?

ColBalt
Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:09 PM
Sorry man, I think you just blew $287. I've got "Borrowed" versions of Windoze 98, Me, XP Home and XP Pro and they all work in VPC. you'll need to search out differnt S/N. But You will not be able to do any updates/Service Packs to a "borrowed" copy of Windoze. So maybe it's a good thing you purchest it...
However not all PC compatible devises will be recognized. If your mac does not recognize it to start, VPC will not. Your still running a Mac Computer. and VPC only emulates the Windoze OS not a PC machine. Also the more devises you have running, VPC will run even slower.

Denjira
Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:09 PM
Dont think PC hardware works that well, my webcam didn't work for me. My copy of Windows XP which was shared works for me.. too slow to use though.

minnes
Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:13 PM
Win 2000 works very well on VPC 6 or 7 with decent RAM
I have Win 98 on VPC6 and it is quite usable
You can buy an OEM XP for about $60

Gerbill
Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:31 PM
My Canon scanner and inkjet printer both work fine with PC drivers in W2K in VPC 6, but my HP USB laser doesn't.

Applelover
Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:41 PM
I tried 3 diff copies of Win xp and virtual pc detected none of them. I called in to Microsoft Support, was on the line for 2 hrs and they still couldn't resolve it. I didn't obviously tell them I had a pirated copy of Win xp though. Well I guess I gotta keep my $287.00 copy now....rats

Applelover
Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:44 PM
I hear WIN XP is hella slow in VPC 7. I wanted to get Windows 2000, but they don't carry it anymore at Futureshop. I just need to run one spread sheet program called 'Fitness Tracker' for monitoring body fat levels etc, and using for MSN for PC. Should I expect snail crawling speeds?

Gerbill
Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:02 PM
I hear WIN XP is hella slow in VPC 7. I wanted to get Windows 2000, but they don't carry it anymore at Futureshop. I just need to run one spread sheet program called 'Fitness Tracker' for monitoring body fat levels etc, and using for MSN for PC. Should I expect snail crawling speeds?Re: body fat: Wouldn't it just be simpler to run a $10 Mac program that does the same thing?

http://www.download.com/Health-Tracker-OS-X-/3000-2308_4-10279660.html

Is MSN really worth all the trouble?

mguertin
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:51 PM
Hmm if that stuff would run in windows 98 ... I saw some old OEM copies at Active Surplus in Toronto for $9.99 today, they had boxes full of them.

dcsf
Aug 4th, 2005, 03:18 AM
you could've bought OEM versions at half the price... canada computers has em as do several vendors.

dona83
Aug 4th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Yah u should've gone OEM, all you need is to buy a mouse or something... like the new Mighty Mouse :D