: Mac schools Montreal?

Denjira
Aug 2nd, 2005, 03:31 AM
I think I posted this awhile back.. I'm going to ask again..

Are there any good Colleges that use macs in Montreal? I'd hate to be stuck using PCs for the rest of my academic life.. my highschool started buying PCs.. the schoolboard is phasing macs out of the system since PCs are what everyone wants..

IronMac
Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:16 AM
I don't think that you will get much of a choice...don't choose a college simply by waht they have in terms of computers unless your area of study is relevant to Macs.

Vexel
Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:52 AM
When I went to college for Digital Media Design... I took my Pismo with me.. and unhooked the monitor from the PC I was supposed to use and used it to extend my desktop to 2 screens :D

Just check to see if they mind you using your own computer :)

My Pismo blew the PC's away ;)

J-Money
Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:51 AM
I did the Cinema/Communications program at Dawson College, and they had 2-3 Maclabs available exclusively to them. The Fine Arts department also uses them. They also have a whole bunch of Maclabs open only if you're in their program.

So, it really depends what you want to go into. If you have an iBook/powerbook, you can even use that, in all your classes. And now, they were "testing" a wireless hotspot in the 2nd floor cafeteria (where me and my friends always stayed), so all my friends brought laptops, and some BOUGHT some... :eek: I don't know if they've expanded it this summer, since it was a test. I'm moving onto McGill University which is wireless everywhere, and I'm purchasing my Mac either tomorrow (if I get accepted for my student line-of-credit), or next thursday (when my paycheck rolls in.)

So, i guess it depends on the program you enroll in. And also if you're going to a regular CEGEP, or a professional College. One of my friends is at Trebas Institute (i think it's that one), but he's had a Toshiba Satellite for the past year or so. He's planning on buying a mac, but I don't know if they use macs there or not. I can ask him though.

Mantat
Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:57 AM
CEGEP du vieu montreal has mac lab and is very mac friendly

HJS
Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:52 PM
UQAM, Concordia, McGill, Vanier, the various design schools, and probably a few others.. Media labs, editing suites, etc. all have and/or mainly use Macs. UdeM in Science Dept...

Denjira
Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:06 PM
Ah, thanks, been thinking of Dawson...
I'm thinking of going into graphic design... but Computer sciences for sure..

J-Money
Aug 2nd, 2005, 11:47 PM
In you have any questions about Dawson College, feel free to ask. I just finished 3 years from there. Graphic design was what I had in mind when I finished high-school, but didn't end up going into it. I have a friend who graduated from it, and she immediately got a job right after she finished the 3 year program. Basically, she finished in May, and started working in July. Hardly had any vacation time, but at least she got a career. :)

I also have a friend who was in Computer Sci, but he switched out. Just like my brother who did 1.5 years of it, they realized that it was boring and not what they wanted to do. Actually, my brother is going into web design & multimedia, doing an online class now.

Denjira
Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:43 AM
I heard graphic design isn't good to get into.. something about it becoming too easy to learn and common.

I'm still a bit unsure about what I really want to go into.. anything to do with computers would be enjoyable.

Vexel
Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:36 AM
I heard graphic design isn't good to get into.. something about it becoming too easy to learn and common.

I'm still a bit unsure about what I really want to go into.. anything to do with computers would be enjoyable.

Graphic Design does NOT come easy. It is something which can take a lifetime to master. One thing I've found out.. is that you can take a fly by night course.. and learn a whole bunch of stuff at once.. But. As does your career... "Fly by night."

Seriously, it takes years to become a decent designer. Sure.. you could get a job right out of college.. maybe even for a well known graphics company. (not likely) But.. to master the skill.. it really and literally takes years.

Graphic Design isn't knowing Photoshop and Illustrator.. anyone can do that. Design is about DESIGNING.. a skill that can't be taught... well it can.. but you should have a natural incling for it first. If you didn't, it would take even longer for you to master.

Color Theory, Typography, Balance, Weight, Proportion, Scale, Conceptual Drawing.. etc.... the list goes on and on. These are only a few things. And, they are fundementals... no where near all that you have to learn.

I loved my Graphic Design class.. it's still something that I am glad I took.. even for $14,000 for 1 year. But, I came to the realization that it would take me a loooooong time for me to build the skills I need to even survive. I turned my knowledge into something I can work with.. and am currently trying to start my own Computer Assistance company. Along with a little Photo retouching and Video Backup.

Just take the time to learn everything about your education of choice.. it's something you won't regret. :)

Cheers and good luck

J-Money
Aug 3rd, 2005, 10:25 AM
Vexel is right. It's not something you can "learn" through a program. It's like my program in cinema/communications: we're taught how to shoot a video and how to edit it professionally, as well as all the marketing & business aspects of it, but if you have no creativity, you still won't be able to make any interesting videos.

I doubt that the comp sci courses use macs since PCs are the more common, and when developping, they would do it first and foremost for windows. And I'm not sure if all programing software is compatible with macs...