: Somebody needs to create

Sekio
Aug 1st, 2005, 04:08 PM
A CBC News or Globe and Mail Widget. There are Widgets for CNN, BBC and other news organizations. We need something for Canada.

used to be jwoodget
Aug 1st, 2005, 05:11 PM
These guys also need to get into RSS... (which would also make creating a widget a lot easier).

elook
Aug 1st, 2005, 05:17 PM
CBC has limited RSS feeds, although with only headlines, it is a bit lacking. It wouldn't take much to adapt something like the CNN widget to do CBC instead. Just do a "show package contents" on the widget and have a look inside. Change a couple urls and you'll be good to go. If you are really into it, goof with the png file and you'll have a CBC widget you can call your own. I'd do that and share, but I'd rather avoid adapting a widget and then re-releasing it for fear of a copyright question.

Give me the evening and I'll see what I can do, and I'll get back to you here. If you want it, then I can email it to you instead of releasing it public.

iPetie
Aug 1st, 2005, 05:23 PM
CBC has limited RSS feeds, although with only headlines, it is a bit lacking. It wouldn't take much to adapt something like the CNN widget to do CBC instead. Just do a "show package contents" on the widget and have a look inside. Change a couple urls and you'll be good to go. If you are really into it, goof with the png file and you'll have a CBC widget you can call your own. I'd do that and share, but I'd rather avoid adapting a widget and then re-releasing it for fear of a copyright question.

Give me the evening and I'll see what I can do, and I'll get back to you here. If you want it, then I can email it to you instead of releasing it public.Globe has significant RSS as well.

elook
Aug 1st, 2005, 06:33 PM
It's pretty much done:
http://www.jameskoole.ca/widgets/cbc.zip
A couple of notes -

I didn't create the original, but merely modified the existing CNN wdiget. No guarantees, etc. Don't blame me if it busts your Mac (not that it will). You can flip to the back to choose the feed. Refresh does just what you would expect it to. Click on the headline to go to the full article at the CBC.ca website.
Let me know if there are any problems, or better yet, crack it open and have look inside and see what you can do to alter, fix, improve...

used to be jwoodget
Aug 1st, 2005, 07:46 PM
Globe has significant RSS as well.

Ahhh.... Yes, it indeed does: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/rss/

Funny that it doesn't show up in Safari (as the blue RSS symbol in the URL space). They could easily change that. I have an Insider subscription along with the paper so will add these - although what would be best is an XML feed for the headlines. Thanks!

used to be jwoodget
Aug 1st, 2005, 07:50 PM
It's pretty much done:
http://www.jameskoole.ca/widgets/cbc.zip
A couple of notes -

I didn't create the original, but merely modified the existing CNN wdiget. No guarantees, etc. Don't blame me if it busts your Mac (not that it will). You can flip to the back to choose the feed. Refresh does just what you would expect it to. Click on the headline to go to the full article at the CBC.ca website.
Let me know if there are any problems, or better yet, crack it open and have look inside and see what you can do to alter, fix, improve...

Works well for me elook. Nice job!

[edit] except it won't flip for me..... the links work though.

elook
Aug 1st, 2005, 08:11 PM
The "i" to flip it is up in the upper right corner. That works?

SoyMac
Aug 1st, 2005, 08:30 PM
Looks really nice! (but it's not actually working for me.)
I see the blue rectangle with the CBC graphic at the top (nice job!), but nothing else, not even an "i" to flip it over.

It works for jwoodget, why won't it work for meeeeee?!
Whyyyyyyy?!
*sulk*

elook
Aug 1st, 2005, 09:28 PM
Maybe trying trashing it and re-installing. I downloaded it from my own server, and it installed fine with not problems. You'll have to do a refresh to get the stories initially, but other than that, it seems okay here. Odd.

rogueToe
Aug 1st, 2005, 10:39 PM
Hey, thanks for that Globe RSS link.

kissenger
Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:37 AM
Somebody needs to create...

...an online banking widget to check the status of your bank account(s).

Preferrably, CIBC.

SoyMac
Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:53 AM
Maybe trying trashing it and re-installing. I downloaded it from my own server, and it installed fine with not problems. You'll have to do a refresh to get the stories initially, but other than that, it seems okay here. Odd.
Yeah, Baby!! All I did was close it off the desk top, then bring it back to the desk top from the widget addition bar, and it's working stellar!
elook, you totally rock! How many times have I looked in the pre-installed bookmarks and wished the news links included CBC instead of, *gag*, CNN? - *HURL*

The beauty of your widget is, I think the CBC's own website kinda bites, and yours is neat and easy.
Are EhMaccers the smartest people in the world?
Rhetorical. The answer is obviously "yes".

:)

Vexel
Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:57 AM
Great Job, elook. :clap:

used to be jwoodget
Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:24 AM
The "i" to flip it is up in the upper right corner. That works?

It's odd. The "i" is invisible but if I mouse over the top right area, a little circle appears and clicking on it flips the widget.

Vexel
Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:30 AM
It's odd. The "i" is invisible but if I mouse over the top right area, a little circle appears and clicking on it flips the widget.
I kinda like it. It being hidden makes the widget more symmetrical :)

macsackbut
Aug 2nd, 2005, 12:45 PM
elook, that is just AWESOME. Thanks! and WTG!

MacS

Sekio
Aug 2nd, 2005, 03:29 PM
Awesome widget! You should submit it to Apple.

Also, just a suggestion for the design, you should keep with the CBC layout where an entire side is rounded as if it's one of the pieces of the logo. I quite like their graphics for television and I think it would make a good looking Widget.

elook
Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:03 AM
The widget is merely a hacked up CNN widget, and not nearly anything I would ever take credit for as mentioned earlier in the thread. That also explains the hidden "i" which I suppose could be altered.

Sekio
Aug 3rd, 2005, 03:47 AM
Would Apple know that you altered the CNN widget if you tried to submit itÉ

elook
Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:26 AM
Would Apple know that you altered the CNN widget

I would know, and considering I left the name of the guy who wrote it on the back along with his website, I suspect he would figure it out too. His XML to HTML routine is borrowed (open source) so it's possible to rebuild it without the code the author created. If I ever did that, then yes, submitting it would be a great idea.

There's also the issue of bandwidth. You throw a widget up, and you have to host the download. I'd be worried about killing my hosting plan.

SoyMac
Aug 20th, 2005, 02:40 AM
elook! I just tried to go to your page from my other computer to get the CBC widget, and I get a "File Not Found" message! :eek:

Also, it's not available on the "More Widgets" site.
Your CBC widget is excellent.
Why can't I find it anymore?

It still works fine on my laptop...