: System Value, Can I ask this here?

lindmar
Jul 31st, 2005, 08:50 PM
Im wondering if I can ask the value of this system here....

g4 1.25
2 Gigs Ram
120 Gig Boot
DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
Pioneer DVD 108 DVD Burner
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro Video Card
Apple Pro Keyboard

I'm toying with the idea of selling and getting an iMac g5 for the size aspect.

Any idea what this is worth right now before I list? It should be noted this thing runs like a rocket. Never a hitch...

Thanks

IronMac
Aug 1st, 2005, 06:33 AM
You can definitely ask about a system's value here...whether or not any of us know is another question. ;)

gwillikers
Aug 1st, 2005, 07:38 AM
Hah ha ha IronMac, you're silly :D

Pricing is very subjective, which is why people often don't reply to these requests. Nobody wants to insult the seller, (who is often someone who is quite attached to their computer), or get criticized for offering a quote that others strongly disagree with.
Having said that... your tower is nicely appointed and (to me) is likely worth between 12 & 13 hundred because of the RAM and the DVR-108. I feel a bare bones version of your G4 is worth about a grand. If that seems low, you can blame the 17" G5 iMac, which is $1600.00 at the Apple Canada Store. But hey, that's what you're after ain't it? ;)

But what I'm really saying is... if you're serious about moving into a G5 iMac... sell some RAM, sell the DVR-108, and then sell the tower separately to get the biggest return on your investment. Otherwise, hope that you can find someone who requires the expandability of a G4 tower, which is it's true strength in the marketplace, along with OS 9 boot ability.
Oh, and don't look back. :cool:

mac_geek
Aug 1st, 2005, 09:28 AM
Maybe $1000, not that I'm in the market.

Unfortunately, no one is looking for an old "once was good" computer.

And if people are looking for a cheap computer.. well then, you're competing against a Mac mini.

The only advantage your system offers is more RAM and expandibility.. but these may not be selling points for someone who is looking for a sub-$1000 computer.