: My $10 Adventure

Pixel
Jul 30th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I figured I should this with people so they don't have to go through what I did.

First I would like to say that the whole time that this was going on the Apple Store Support Team was absolutely amazing. I honestly didn't think there was support centers that were this friendly and helpful still in existence. I have read alot of articles about people complaining that apple support sucks. Well I disagree. (Although that is only my own personal experience).

And now to the actual details...

When I bought my Mac mini (1.25 base model) from BestBuy Canada on the 15th of July I was told that the mini that I bought had Tiger installed on it and I was told that if it didn't I should come back and they woud get it dealt with. Now before anymore starts bashing BestBuy. I had my reasons for getting it from them. Anyways, I got it home and found out that it had Panther. So the next day I went back to get my copy. Well it took 1 1/2 hours but I finally got the store manager to confirm with apple that they would honor the product for their 'uptodate' program. So I went home and ordered the $10 update DVD and paid the $13 extra for fast shipping because of the horror stories I had heard about people waiting up to a month to get their package.

And I was off to the race...or so I thought.

The product shipped on the Monday (18th) and I waited impatiently until the following Monday. At this point I contacted apple because I could not get an update for my package because the tracking number was invalid (I later found out that the pacage had been sent using FedEx despite the fact that my shipping receipt said it was going through UPS). That is when they informed me that FedEx had 'attempted' to deliver it on Friday but the return note stating the address was incorrect. We checked the address and everything was perfect. So the rep contacted FedEx who said that the courier could not find my buzzer code so it wasn't delivered. First my buzzer was clearly marked, secondly the supers number is clearly marked and would have called me right away (I was actually home that entire day). So I set the FedEx agent straight and I was assured (the term 'we promise' was actually used) that I would receive my package the next day. And surprise, surprise, it wasn't there when I arrived home. So I called apple again. They called fedex again and the reason we were given was 'unfortunately the note that was appended to the shipment did not transmit to the wharehouse before the trucks went out the following morning.' At this point I was not impressed that they were flat out lying to me. If someone screwed up. Say so. Don't expect me to swallow such a blatent lie. So I asked the fedex rep how it is possible to ship a package across the country overnight but you can't transmit a small note in between 7pm and 7am. Obviously he had no response to this as expected but said that it would definately be delivered the next day.

At this point I was less than trusting of their promises for delivery but I had no choice because in order to pick it up from the wharehouse I had to have 2 peices of ID, one with my shipping address on it. Well since I just moved that wasn't possible.

So I waited....

And the next day nothing came. I called fedex at 5pm and by this point I was beyond being polite with them. When I started informing the fedex rep of what had gone on and that I wanted it fixed NOW. The rep (who was the rudest call rep I have ever had the displeasure of speaking with) informed me that there was no record of any of this going on. According to her records the last contact FedEx had with Apple was when they shipped the product and when asked why on earth my package wasn't there the only response I was given 'It's at the wharehouse'. She refused to provide a reason why.

I also attempted changing the shipping address so that i could go the the wharehouse and pick it up. That was not allowed. Only the shipper was allowed to change it. So I called apple. Who informed me that the contract apple has with fedex does not allow them to change any details of a package once it is shipped (which the fedex should have known).

So the apple rep disappeared for 15 mins and when she came back I had a new copy on the way and had made sure it was sent by UPS so I wouldn't have to deal with Fedex (we also sent it to my work address so that I would be able to get it right away). She told me it would take 1-2 days to get there. When I got to work on the second day it was already there. And for my troubles they sent me a full version instead of the update DVD for my troubles.

I total a $10 product ended up costing me $23 (not a big deal) and over 4 hours of my time and cell phone usage.

Anyways, thought I would share this with everyone. In the future I will not use FedEx for any of my shipments and hope others will use caution when using them for their packages.

andrewenterprise
Jul 30th, 2005, 05:06 PM
You should be entitled to your $23 back at least, plus your money back for the cell phone cost.

someone
Jul 30th, 2005, 09:34 PM
I agree.

You should ask Apple to refund the shipping cost and the cell phone charge. In addition, you should ask them for an oral appology. Even though the fault doesn't lie directly with them, they should be responsible for their poor choice of courier.

ps. Don't waste your time with the Apple rep. In situations like this, you need to talk to their manager(s) directly.

Vexel
Jul 30th, 2005, 09:42 PM
I disagree... Apple did plenty in this situation. All of the reps I have spoken with at Apple were stellar.. and were the ones in the end who did more for me than the managers, because they actually asked questions.

It wasn't Apple's fault that Best Buy didn't have their Mini's up to date.. and furthermore.. the up to date program is a blessing. It's not something Apple has to do. They seem to do it from good will :)

SoyMac
Jul 31st, 2005, 01:48 PM
... Apple did plenty in this situation. All of the reps I have spoken with at Apple were stellar.. and were the ones in the end who did more for me than the managers, because they actually asked questions.

It wasn't Apple's fault that Best Buy didn't have their Mini's up to date.. and furthermore.. the up to date program is a blessing. It's not something Apple has to do. They seem to do it from good will :)
I have to agree with Vexel. Apple looks like the Good Fairy here. They solved the problem FedEx created and they were polite to Pixel. Apple absorbed some costs, and eventually put a better product in Pixel's hands then s/he started out trying to get.
I agree with Pixel getting financial compensation, but I think the responsibility lies with FedEx, and to some degree, BestBuy.

mr.steevo
Jul 31st, 2005, 01:58 PM
Hi,

At least Apple didn't use Same Day Right Away. They can't deliver to my home address after 5pm (when I get home) or even deliver to my work, which is within city boundries.

s.

Pixel
Aug 1st, 2005, 03:41 AM
First off. Sorry to everyone for not replying to any of your posts but it appears that I wasn't subscribed to my own post.

I don't think it is Apple's fault at all. They were more than helpful. Polite, helpful, and most importantly, when one of their reps didn't have an answer to my question they told me straight up. Honesty from a call center isn't something you see everyday.

As for the compensation. It would have been nice but Apple compensated me for my troubles with better software. Good luck with FedEx. I could complain until I was blue in the face and I wouldn't get a cent from them. And I know it is the principal of the thing but I don't feel like spending another 2 hours on the phone to get back $13.

Tait Kahray
Aug 1st, 2005, 09:18 AM
Let us know when FedEx does deliver.

Jason H
Aug 1st, 2005, 07:30 PM
Why should apple have to pay for your cell phone time?
Nobody made you use your cell phone. You were probably even calling toll free numbers too.

UPS shipping would be awesome, if the warehouse is in ontario. I wish they would use that.

Pixel
Aug 1st, 2005, 08:20 PM
All I have is a cell phone. I spend most of my day away from home so I see no point in owning a home phone.

Jason H
Aug 1st, 2005, 09:40 PM
go to a payphone!