: Shawn King on the National....

used to be jwoodget
Jul 30th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Anyone catch the Nashville resident talking about the demise of NewsWorld International broadcasts in the US last night (in the "Your Turn" segment at the end)? Gave quite a passionate plea for his fix of Peter Mansbridge and even got in a plug for his American fiancee. BUT, he totally missed the opportunity to plug YML.... !! :)

Seems to me you've two options: move back to your home and native land or click on www.cbc.ca for your daily dose of Peter....

andreww
Jul 30th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Even though I love Shawn, and I'm glad to see that he is actively posting here, I refuse to have any pity for him, only because of his endlesss crapping on Toronto. I don't know if he has ever been here, but his belief that Torontonians have a superiority complex over the rest of Canada is totaly without base. In fact, I and pretty much everyone I know in Toronto are envious of the smaller metropolises across Canada, but are forced to be here because the job opportunities are better, or because we have family here. (why do you think Torontonians spend every weekend going north to cottage country) Probably the same reasons why he is in Nashville and not his native Vancouver. I don't mind the odd wisecrack, but YML has a worldwide audience and I don't think alot of people know that he is half kidding.

Cmon Shawn, lets bury the hatchet. Say something nice about Toronto on YML and all will be forgivin.

Commodus
Jul 30th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Wow, I didn't know that the CBC had a video broadcast of The National after the show is finished. My respect for them as a modern outlet just went up a bit. :)

It's available at the National's page (cbc.ca/national).

andreww:

He knows it's a stereotype. For what it's worth, he ragged on Ottawa, too. He's a Maritimes boy transplanted in Tennessee, what can you say?

andreww
Jul 30th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Yeah I know its for the most part in jest, as it is when I make newfie jokes. Problem is that the majority of the people who listen to the show would not get the humour and believe him to be serious. Not a big deal, but it does bug me when he goes out of his way to rag on Toronto on air.

ShawnKing
Jul 30th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Even though I love Shawn,
Ummm....OK....
I refuse to have any pity for him
Wha....? "Pity" for what?
only because of his endlesss crapping on Toronto.
LMAO You're kidding, right? By that logic, you have no "pity" for 75% of the population of *Canada*!
I don't know if he has ever been here
Many times. Lived there for a while.
but his belief that Torontonians have a superiority complex over the rest of Canada is totaly without base.
LOL Well, let's throw that open to the rest of the ehMac Community, shall we? :)
(why do you think Torontonians spend every weekend going north to cottage country)
LOL Because Toronto sucks? :)
Probably the same reasons why he is in Nashville and not his native Vancouver.
Wrong on both counts. Do you even know why I'm in Nashville? Apparently not. And you didn't even bother to ask. You just assume you know. As to "his native Vancouver", did you even see the CBC video? Do you listen to the show?
I don't mind the odd wisecrack, but YML has a worldwide audience and I don't think alot of people know that he is half kidding.
I've explained the "Everyone in Canada hates Toronto" gag many times on the show. And even if I didn't - so what? I see this happen a lot around here. Why am I not allowed to have an opinion? Why do I get slammed for having one?
Say something nice about Toronto on YML and all will be forgivin.
Don't take this the wrong way but I neither ask for nor need your forgiveness. I've done nothing that requires "forgiving". I don't like Toronto - for that I need "forgiveness"?

ShawnKing
Jul 30th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Anyone catch the Nashville resident talking about the demise of NewsWorld International broadcasts in the US last night (in the "Your Turn" segment at the end)?
Hmmm...yeah.....<b><a href="http://www.yourmaclife.com/index.php?topic=ShawnsBlog" target="_blank">I think I caught it.</a></b>

:)
Gave quite a passionate plea for his fix of Peter Mansbridge and even got in a plug for his American fiancee. BUT, he totally missed the opportunity to plug YML.... !! :)
LOL I figured pimping Your Mac Life might have been a bit much. :)
Seems to me you've two options: move back to your home and native land
That will happen eventually.
or click on www.cbc.ca for your daily dose of Peter....
That will happen in the mean time. :)

andreww
Jul 31st, 2005, 12:09 AM
Ummm....OK....

Wha....? "Pity" for what?

LMAO You're kidding, right? By that logic, you have no "pity" for 75% of the population of *Canada*!

Many times. Lived there for a while.

LOL Well, let's throw that open to the rest of the ehMac Community, shall we? :)

LOL Because Toronto sucks? :)

Wrong on both counts. Do you even know why I'm in Nashville? Apparently not. And you didn't even bother to ask. You just assume you know. As to "his native Vancouver", did you even see the CBC video? Do you listen to the show?

I've explained the "Everyone in Canada hates Toronto" gag many times on the show. And even if I didn't - so what? I see this happen a lot around here. Why am I not allowed to have an opinion? Why do I get slammed for having one?

Don't take this the wrong way but I neither ask for nor need your forgiveness. I've done nothing that requires "forgiving". I don't like Toronto - for that I need "forgiveness"?

Firstly I love your show, and think you are perfect for radio. I just would like to know where this unwarranted disdain for Toronto comes from? I have met many visitors to Toronto and to a man they have all givin it a sparkling review, But you blatantly say "Toronto Sucks" without giving any basis but to say that everyone who lives in toronto feels that the are better than the residents of any other canadian city. Do I know about you or even listen to your show? Well dare I say, what little I know about you is about 1000 times what you know about me. I started listening to you about the time you started broadcasting from Nashville and as I recall the move had something to do with your association with Griffin, but exuse me for not being "versed" in the history of Shawn King.

Sorry if I came across as harsh, I didnt mean to, but I am proud of my city and I take offence at someone publicly slamming it. Did you have a specific incident here that made you feel this way or is this just the reminents of some small town inferiority complex that you should have outgrown years ago?

ShawnKing
Jul 31st, 2005, 02:50 AM
He knows it's a stereotype. For what it's worth, he ragged on Ottawa, too.
For what it's worth, I rag on a *lot* of things. :)

ShawnKing
Jul 31st, 2005, 02:55 AM
Firstly I love your show, and think you are perfect for radio.
Thanks!
I just would like to know where this unwarranted disdain for Toronto comes from?
It's one of Canada's National Sports! Come on! It's quite possibly the *one* thing "everyone" in the country can agree on - we all "hate" Toronto. :)
Well dare I say, what little I know about you is about 1000 times what you know about me.
Agreed. And I haven't made a *single* assumption about you. Pity you can't say the same.
I started listening to you about the time you started broadcasting from Nashville and as I recall the move had something to do with your association with Griffin, but exuse me for not being "versed" in the history of Shawn King.
Then why not ask instead of assume?
Sorry if I came across as harsh, I didnt mean to,
Not harsh at all. Just a little silly.
but I am proud of my city
Good for you! As you should be. I'm proud of my home town too. Notice I *never* rag Halifax. :)
and I take offence at someone publicly slamming it.
Dude - Toronto is the single most "slammed" city in Canada. You must take offence a *lot*.
Did you have a specific incident here that made you feel this way or is this just the reminents of some small town inferiority complex that you should have outgrown years ago?
LMAO Yeah, that'll get me to respond - insult me. Yeah, that *always* works.

MACSPECTRUM
Jul 31st, 2005, 08:30 AM
Anyone catch the Nashville resident talking about the demise of NewsWorld International broadcasts in the US last night (in the "Your Turn" segment at the end)? Gave quite a passionate plea for his fix of Peter Mansbridge and even got in a plug for his American fiancee. BUT, he totally missed the opportunity to plug YML.... !! :)

Seems to me you've two options: move back to your home and native land or click on www.cbc.ca for your daily dose of Peter....

I saw that bit and wondered if it was the ehmac version of Shawn King and low and behold it is.

He did seem friendly and "happy go lucky" on tv, hence my disbelief when compared to ehmac Shawn King. I even saw a smile. He was in Tennesee. I hear they make good whiskey down there. Wait a minute! Now I have the answer. He had been sampling the sourmash.
Now the smile and friendly demeanour makes sense.
Nothing to see here. Go about (or should I say "aboot") your business.

I do believe I hear Andy Warhol calling his name. Something about 15 minutes.

andreww
Jul 31st, 2005, 08:32 AM
Agreed. And I haven't made a *single* assumption about you. Pity you can't say the same.

Then why not ask instead of assume?

The only assumption you've made about you is about me is that I think I'm so much better than everyone else in Canada.

As for the reason why you are in that god forsaken town of Nashville, doing your best not to be mistaken as an Elvis impersonator? Im asking?

mac_geek
Jul 31st, 2005, 08:45 AM
Who cares about this thread?

Keep personal attacks in private email messages; this board is for Mac lovers talking about Macs.

NBiBooker
Jul 31st, 2005, 12:01 PM
Yeah,

What mac_geek said, plus Toronto smells bad! (No really, what is with that smell in the summer?)

Suite Edit
Jul 31st, 2005, 12:26 PM
(No really, what is with that smell in the summer?)

That's the smell of money baby! $^) ;)

While this thread should probably be in the "Anything Else" section, and you're right, personal differences should probably be discussed in PMs... now I'm kinda wondering why Shawn has such a poor impression of TO? I love all of Canada and am envious of every other province/city/town I have ever been to... but I still choose TO as my home. That doesn't make me any better or worse as a person, does it?

For what it's worth, when I was in Europe I didn't crack any "newfie" jokes, or any "BC stoner" ones either... that'd be crapping on my home country ;)

Macaholic
Jul 31st, 2005, 12:39 PM
Everybody should just CHILL. People are taking Shawn's comments WAY too seriously. WHO CARES?

pent675
Jul 31st, 2005, 01:08 PM
I live just outside Toronto and I have to agree with Shawn's comments. The only redeming value in TO is that it now has an Apple store. Any other places in Canada have an Apple store?

MBD
Jul 31st, 2005, 01:40 PM
Yeah yeah, you don't realize how much people hate Toronto until you travel outside of Ontario. Yeah, we moan about Toronto in small town Ontario but when you go to the other provinces you really hear a hate of Toronto. In my opinion it's mostly unjustified as I think Torontonians tend to be more ignorant than superior...they honestly don't know of any cities West of Toronto. ;) I once was stopped at Yorkdale for a survey and they had no idea where London Ontario was. That's okay, they don't need to leave Toronto because they got all that cool stuff there! I can live with that. I really love Toronto. I live in the boonies because I'm not a big city kinda gal but my experiences with Toronto have always been good and I have good friends there.

My dad is from the maritimes and when anyone did anything stupid on the roads and turned out to be from Ontario, he'd say "figures, stupid Ontario drivers!". When he went back a couple summers ago, he accidentally cut someone off in New Brunswick and said, "Sorry, I'm from Ontario"...that got big laughs. :D

I just hope the US listeners don't think people are real butt holes in Toronto but oh well, it's not like we should care what they think right? :)

poisonmonkey
Jul 31st, 2005, 02:13 PM
Toronto getting ragged on? So? What else is new? You can't be a big city without it. Yes be proud of your city but at the same time, you have to realise that not everyone is a happy camper.

"We could blame ourselves, but that would be too easy." ~Homer Simpson. That is why the Tdot gets hashed. Geez, Torontonians, suck it up. (Not the smog, your pride ;D)

Where is the love?

ShawnKing
Jul 31st, 2005, 03:20 PM
He did seem friendly and "happy go lucky" on tv, hence my disbelief when compared to ehmac Shawn King.
LOL I'm generally "happy go lucky" - if I don't "seem" that way on ehMac, it's because you can't se my face.
I hear they make good whiskey down there.
Some of the best - Jack Daniels. They put on a great distillery tour if you're ver in the are.
Wait a minute! Now I have the answer. He had been sampling the sourmash.
Now the smile and friendly demeanour makes sense.
LOL
I do believe I hear Andy Warhol calling his name. Something about 15 minutes.
Naw - this is the 21st Century. Everyone gets 15 *gigbytes*. :)

ShawnKing
Jul 31st, 2005, 03:24 PM
The only assumption you've made about you is about me is that I think I'm so much better than everyone else in Canada.
LMAO I assumed no such thing. Believe me, I *don't* think you're better than anyone else in Canada.
As for the reason why you are in that god forsaken town of Nashville, doing your best not to be mistaken as an Elvis impersonator? Im asking?
Ummm...yeah....insult me, don't apologize and then expect me to answer your questions.

Don't hold your breath.

ShawnKing
Jul 31st, 2005, 03:26 PM
Who cares about this thread?
Ummm...the people who have responded to it?
this board is for Mac lovers talking about Macs.
Is that *all* we're supposed to talk about? Just Macs? What a boring place it would be if that's all *you* "allowed" us to talk about.

ShawnKing
Jul 31st, 2005, 03:27 PM
Any other places in Canada have an Apple store?
Nope. They might not get one, either.

Josh
Jul 31st, 2005, 03:44 PM
For what it's worth, when I was in Europe I didn't crack any "newfie" jokes

Go ahead, we(most of us anyway) don't mind. :)

andreww
Jul 31st, 2005, 05:45 PM
Ummm...yeah....insult me, don't apologize and then expect me to answer your questions.

Don't hold your breath.

believe me, Im not.

ShawnKing
Jul 31st, 2005, 08:57 PM
believe me, Im not.
Whew! Good - I was worried about you turning blue. :)

Dr.G.
Jul 31st, 2005, 09:23 PM
Josh, re your comment that "Go ahead, we(most of us anyway) don't mind", while I was not born in Newfoundland and Labrador (I have been here in St.John's for 28 years), I mind.

Josh
Jul 31st, 2005, 10:04 PM
Josh, re your comment that "Go ahead, we(most of us anyway) don't mind", while I was not born in Newfoundland and Labrador (I have been here in St.John's for 28 years), I mind.

I know a couple of other people that are bothered by the jokes also. While I don't mind the jokes, I do mind people branding Newfoundlanders as stupid or backward. I am proud to be from Newfoundland and while I may laugh at the occasional Newfie joke, I'm not laughing because I believe Newfoundlanders (which includes me) are stupid, but because I find the joke funny.

Heart
Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:55 PM
Toronto smells and Shawn King is funny.
or is it...
Shawn King smells and Toronto is funny.
or
Shawn King has a funny smell.
or
What city doesn't smell funny at 40?C plus humidity! :eek:

Don't get me started with Newfoundland... let alone Ottawa.

---

jjing Mr. King :D
P.S. Where is your site tonight (Tues 9:55 EST) - http://www.yourmaclife.com/ ?

ShawnKing
Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:46 AM
Toronto smells and Shawn King is funny.
Sometimes, both are true.
Shawn King smells and Toronto is funny.
I just got back from playing softball in 90 F heat and 75% humidity - the former is *definitely* true right now!
Shawn King has a funny smell.
See above. :)
P.S. Where is your site tonight (Tues 9:55 EST) - http://www.yourmaclife.com/ ?
Ummm...same place it always is.....what do you mean, "where is your site"? You'll have to be more specific.

MACSPECTRUM
Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:55 AM
I just got back from playing softball in 90 F heat

what does 90 F mean?
old system of measuring that is
:D

Heart
Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:21 AM
90F minus 30F divided by 2 equals 30C.

You could also use a Dashboard Widget, i guess....

MACSPECTRUM
Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:33 AM
90F minus 30F divided by 2 equals 30C.

You could also use a Dashboard Widget, i guess....

smiley face :D = joke

no sense of humour this moderator has

:D (see above)

ShawnKing
Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:10 PM
what does 90 F mean?
"Fscking Hot!"

:)

rogueToe
Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:15 PM
Wow, that's almost as hot as Kamloops! :)

ShawnKing
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:58 PM
Wow, that's almost as hot as Kamloops! :)
LOL Yeah, but Kamloops doesn't get hot in mid March and stay hot until mid October! :)

Seriously - my apartment's air conditioning has been on since the end of March. Non-stop. All day, every day.

I know, I know....All you Torontonians think I'm just whining. :)

used to be jwoodget
Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:02 PM
Well, the high was 36C in Toronto today and now its dropped to 33.... We share your pain :)

ShawnKing
Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:26 PM
Well, the high was 36C in Toronto today and now its dropped to 33.... We share your pain :)
Yeah....in Canada, that's a "Heat Wave". Down here it's "Welcome to the South!" :(

rogueToe
Aug 4th, 2005, 02:36 PM
So I guess that means you don't have any world class ski resorts near by? ;)

MACSPECTRUM
Aug 4th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Yeah....in Canada, that's a "Heat Wave". Down here it's "Welcome to the South!" :(

nevermind hell freezing over
the red states may just be approaching the temp. of hell

gives a new meaning to the biblical phrase; "burning bush"

:D

ShawnKing
Aug 4th, 2005, 02:44 PM
So I guess that means you don't have any world class ski resorts near by? ;)
OMG.....don't get me started.....supposedly, they have "skiing" around here......apparently, snow falls on some of the bumps they call "mountains" down here.....God I miss Whistler and Mt Baker.... :(

ShawnKing
Aug 4th, 2005, 03:09 PM
nevermind hell freezing over
the red states may just be approaching the temp. of hell
LOL my Google Weather Widget reports it as being *96 degrees* outside....And that's not unusual down here.....

gastonbuffet
Aug 4th, 2005, 03:39 PM
don't know why, but reading this thread left me with a bittertaste (pardon my english, don't know how to put it, ......... thought of something, Pulp Fiction, Marsellus Wallace, fixing the fight : "you gonna feel a little 'sting"--- or ' stink',

well, i dunno, but i smell something..... or is just me? :)

crack away

ShawnKing
Aug 4th, 2005, 06:31 PM
don't know why, but reading this thread left me with a bittertaste (pardon my english, don't know how to put it, ......... thought of something, Pulp Fiction, Marsellus Wallace, fixing the fight : "you gonna feel a little 'sting"--- or ' stink',

well, i dunno, but i smell something..... or is just me? :)

crack away
Wha....? Sorry...I don't get the joke.....