: Bluetooth

someone
Jul 28th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Is it that useful?

I remember the unveiling of BT and it seems to be there a long time ago. However, it didn't get nearly the same amount of adoption as USB.

dona83
Jul 28th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Bluetooth is personal wireless, 10m range, and slower than WiFi, but extremely low powered, perfect for cell phones, PDAs, headsets, etc. You can synchronize information with your PDA and cell phone, have your computer tell you who's calling your cell phone, send your business e-card, all kinds of things.

comprehab
Jul 28th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Very convienient for PDA users, quick, easy, cord freee hotsyncing is a big plus.

Ohenri
Jul 28th, 2005, 08:39 PM
matter of time before that becomes more common place. There will always be room for wireless adoption. It was just a little too soon for most. I would not even think of getting a non BT phone, or computer for that matter. Makes no sense.

As well, wait until they start to clamp on cell phone driving. They recently outlawed driving w/o a headset in Chigago, and I read that the BT headsets were flying off the shelves. Not a headset guy myself, more like a speaker phone type. Nonetheless, one answer really:

Salling clicker!

h!

Howard2k
Jul 28th, 2005, 08:46 PM
It's been an INCREDIBLY slow uptake in North America, which is probably a reflection on how far behind our cellular networks are too. Although they have caught up somewhat.

It's 10m or 100m range, depending on the Class. Speed is around 700Kb/s uni-directional or 400Kb/s bi-directional. As mentioned, very low power. Typically uses around 10%-20% of the power that Wifi does.

I use it to sync my PDA.

The Great Waka
Jul 29th, 2005, 12:30 AM
I use it to sync my PDA, and I use it for my Logitech BT mouse. The mouse is just awesome. When I'm done with it, I just throw it in it's charger and I've never had a problem with it running out of batteries.

Useful for the PDA sync, as I don't have to plug in a cable everytime I move my laptop back to my desk.

However, the coolest application of it I've found it connecting either my powerbook or PDA via BT to my cell phone (Motorola v710) and using it as a modem when I'm on the road and out of a wifi network. Extra bonus that Telus has a FREE dial up service that only charges airtime with no data fees. I've found it to be a bit of a intersider's secret because they don't ever tell you about it directly (They'd rather have you buy their data pacakges). Of course, it's not 1X speed, but rather 14.4, but it's good enough for checking email on the run :D . Of course, the other companies have this as well, but I think the number is different.

Steve-O
Jul 29th, 2005, 09:25 AM
it's great, I use it with my cell phone. I've never had to enter more than 3 numbers without doing it in adress book and using isync. Plus i can make my own ringtones and backgrounds which is nice. I also have a BT headset and I drive a manual car so that helps in taht 5 o clock gardiner traffic. I'm just a little concerned with wifi and bluetooth going through me constantly, I think I have a life expectancy of about 6 more years considering i sit infront of a monitor all day too. Ah well gadgets are neat. Bring on the radiation!!

CN
Jul 29th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Its not the fastest, but its way easier for me than having to hook up my cellphone to my computer just to load on new appointments/unload digital pics.

dmpP
Jul 29th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I love using it with my PDA, gps receiver, and mapopolis! it's just great...

also use it on my computer with a headset for skype

on a side note... I'm pissed with Bell... they use CDMA networks... and their phones aren't BT yet! sheesh... I need a good phone with BT so I can use my wireless headset instead of one that's got a 3ft. wire! LG just came out with one... not sure if bell is carrying that phone yet, but it's like the slider phone... not keen on the design. I'm good with my Nokia 6225 for now....

seetobylive
Aug 26th, 2005, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE=
However, the coolest application of it I've found it connecting either my powerbook or PDA via BT to my cell phone (Motorola v710) and using it as a modem when I'm on the road and out of a wifi network. Extra bonus that Telus has a FREE dial up service that only charges airtime with no data fees. I've found it to be a bit of a intersider's secret because they don't ever tell you about it directly (They'd rather have you buy their data pacakges). Of course, it's not 1X speed, but rather 14.4, but it's good enough for checking email on the run :D . Of course, the other companies have this as well, but I think the number is different.[/QUOTE]

I have been trying this but i keep getting a system error. Is their a secret handshake involved? I have the dial up numbers, the bluetooth is working but it keeps disconnecting before it has a chance to connect... HELP!

seetobylive
Aug 26th, 2005, 11:34 PM
However, the coolest application of it I've found it connecting either my powerbook or PDA via BT to my cell phone (Motorola v710) and using it as a modem when I'm on the road and out of a wifi network. Extra bonus that Telus has a FREE dial up service that only charges airtime with no data fees. I've found it to be a bit of a intersider's secret because they don't ever tell you about it directly (They'd rather have you buy their data pacakges). Of course, it's not 1X speed, but rather 14.4, but it's good enough for checking email on the run :D . Of course, the other companies have this as well, but I think the number is different.

I have been trying this but i keep getting a system error. Is their a secret handshake involved? I have the dial up numbers, the bluetooth is working but it keeps disconnecting before it has a chance to connect... HELP!

dona83
Aug 27th, 2005, 03:22 AM
I just got Sailing Clicker Demo... it lets me use my bluetooth phone to totally control my iBook. I can choose which songs I want to listen to by album, artist, playlist, totally control my DVD player, check e-mail, the whole works. And when someone calls me on my cell iTunes or DVD Player will automatically pause until we hang up. Cool or what? :) Bluetooth rules. Word.

MBD
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:53 AM
I love BT. I mostly use it with a wireless Jabra headset and my Sony Ericsson phone in the car. I once got tangled in the steering wheel with a wired headset (fortunately, I was in the driveway) so it was handsfree speaker until I got a BT compatible phone. The only reason I changed phones was for the BT. It's nice to be able to tap the button on the headset and say the name I want to dial. Hands hardly off the steering wheel, eyes on the road (okay and maybe hands on the stick if I'm gearing down/up.

I used to use it with skype but since it is paired with my phone, I found this caused complications where it wouldn't automatically pair with the phone and I use my phone more than skype in situations where I don't want to mess with it, so I now use a wired headset for skype.

I also have salling clicker - cool if I get a call, my movie pauses so when I was doing a yoga workout, it paused when I got a phone call!

I use the Griffin Air Click to control my iPod from my steering wheel as well and my keyboard is BT.

It's a great short range, low powered technology - they don't need to tinker with it to go km's, leave it alone and use it as it was intended. With improvements in battery technology coming out all the time in consumer products, there is a lot we can do with it!

dona83
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Cool you drive manual. Nice to see that people still actually know how to drive a car for real. :)

Me & my 85 Civic Wagon 5 speed, still goin strong.

MBD
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Cool you drive manual. Nice to see that people still actually know how to drive a car for real. :)

Me & my 85 Civic Wagon 5 speed, still goin strong.

Yeah, wouldn't have it any other way (although I drove a Sonata on vacation and the shifter was nice). I got my licence on a standard and have never had an automatic vehicle. :)

sornek
Aug 30th, 2005, 11:11 PM
My dotter just bought a bluetooth celfone. The family 'pooter is a partially souped up revD iMac running Jaguar, 384mb ram, 40G drive. Would there be any difficulties here or should she trade some valuable possession to her brother for the use of his Mini :D . Also, is there a cheap source of dongles out there somewhere?

MBD
Aug 31st, 2005, 04:12 AM
The bluetooth shouldn't strain the system at all. I have synced my cellphone with bluetooth and my address book but found that annoying at one point because I didn't want some stuff on my address book and had to fix it all up.

Keep in mind that the bluetooth will drain the cell battery. I don't leave Salling Clicker connected to my cellphone all the time but connect when I want to use it as a remote, etc. Syncing the cell should be okay though.

I am wary of a lot of the cheap dongles as I don't know if the drivers for them will work on the Mac. I stick to the D-Link and the Iogear looks like it too has Mac drivers. I've seen the D-Link in Zellers for $50.

sornek
Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks MBD.
I don't expect to need Clicker anytime soon but a dongle is everyone's necessity or at least their want :) .
I understand the d-link runs off the keyboard port, which would be handy. If the iogear does as well (I haven't seen evidence one way or the other, except one spec list seems to say 'powered port') there's one model $20 less than the d-link. I can't see any difference between the 2 iogears. Both available from Mac-specific stores.
If anyone has anything further to add re: dongle performance, I'd appreciate input.
It may seem piddling for 20bucks but she'd rather put a coupla litres more in her gas tank and the heck if I'm payin for them new-fangled dongles! (she still hasn't paid me for the phone)

HowEver
Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:38 AM
My dotter just bought a bluetooth celfone. The family 'pooter is a partially souped up revD iMac running Jaguar, 384mb ram, 40G drive. Would there be any difficulties here or should she trade some valuable possession to her brother for the use of his Mini :D . Also, is there a cheap source of dongles out there somewhere?

www.ledshoppe.com

$10 for Bluetooth (1.0)
look for their freebies if you buy 3 or more items--which won't set you back $20.

free shipping from time to time also.

Noodleboy
Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:12 PM
Hey everyone,

I just managed to get a Plantronics M2500 BT headset and Logitech Mobile BT headset to work properly with the D-Link DBT 120 BT USB adapter.
I also tried the IOgear GBU311 BT adapter, but it wouldn't work. I think the IOgear doesn't support headsets.
Importantly, I had to upgrade the firmware of the D-Link with the APPLE supplied firmware (which is Mac only - you will lose PC compatibility and VOID your warranty on the D-Link adapter).
After fiddling with the units for a while, I dumped the preference file "com.apple.bluetooth.plist" and reset the PRAM on my G4 (DA running Tiger 10.4.2).
Both headsets functioned properly right after I did all that.
Now, I hope to test both headsets with SKYPE!

Noodleboy.

:D

guzzi guy
Sep 6th, 2005, 04:29 AM
So what is the deal with Canadian phones? I spoke with someone at Telus in Calgary, and he wqas telling me the only Canadian wireless company (or in the west anyhow), that enables Bluetooth is Fido. I'm talking about anything other than bluetooth headsets. Telus actually buys the phone with the hardware itself configured to their specs. I'm currently with Bell, and they presently have only one bluetooth phone, which as I mentioned, works only with the headset, and will not sync with the computer, and not suppported by isync anyhow.

What are you using, who are you with, those of you out there with the phones.

ice_hackey
Sep 6th, 2005, 04:58 AM
First off -- most of the world works like this:

1) GSM-only (like Fido/Rogers)
2) GSM-providers have nothing to do with the handset, only the actual service
3) You buy your phone wherever you like, and choose whatever provider you like

The phones you get from service providers in Canada have their software locked to remove most of the exceptional features.

In Canada, you can buy imported phones and use them on Rogers/Fido.
This way you'll have the best options available to you. Rogers aren't as cheap, but you'll have a phone that you can use anywhere in the world.

HowEver
Sep 6th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Close.

Buying phones from fido and Rogers get you fully enabled phones.

They are "locked" to the provider. They generally do *not* have features locked away so that you can't use them.

Other provider *do* lock out features. For example, and pertinent to this thread, Telus sells some bluetooth phones, but does not enable them to transfer ringtones and mp3s and graphics from your computer. To obtain those extras, you must use the wireless provider (and eat up data costs, and the item costs).

Whereas with my Rogers phone, I can download off the internet, and use bluetooth to freely transfer songs, pictures, themes, movies and more, to my phone.

Furthermore, some phones are user-unlockable, especially Nokia phones. The great part about that is if I want to travel abroad, to avoid the heavy costs of wireless provider-provided long distance/roaming, I can just get pay-go SIM card, pop it into an unlocked GSM phone and talk away, assuming the phone supports the standard 850, 900, 1800 or 1900 connection-frequency where I am travelling. Rogers sells phones that support 3 or 4 of these.

First off -- most of the world works like this:

1) GSM-only (like Fido/Rogers)
2) GSM-providers have nothing to do with the handset, only the actual service
3) You buy your phone wherever you like, and choose whatever provider you like

The phones you get from service providers in Canada have their software locked to remove most of the exceptional features.

In Canada, you can buy imported phones and use them on Rogers/Fido.
This way you'll have the best options available to you. Rogers aren't as cheap, but you'll have a phone that you can use anywhere in the world.

guzzi guy
Sep 9th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info.

used to be jwoodget
Sep 9th, 2005, 02:58 PM
There are lots of places that will unlock your locked GSM phone for you. I had mine done in 10" at a village market in the UK.....