: Looking for a good hard drive for my G4

mishi8
Jul 28th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Hi there,

I am looking to put another hard drive into my G4 400MHz AGP Graphics Mac. The vast number of choices out there is confusing. I've heard Seagate is good, so I've started looking at what they have. This is what I figure might be compatible:

ST3120022A*-
Barracuda 7200.7*/*120 GB*/*Ultra ATA/100*/*7200*RPM*/*8.5 ms avg*/*DPC

ST3120026A*-
Barracuda 7200.7 Plus / 120 GB*/ Ultra ATA/100*/*7200*RPM*/*8.5 ms avg*/*DPC

ST3120026AS*-
Barracuda 7200.7 SATA*/*120 GB*/*SATA 1.5Gb/s*/*7200*RPM*/*8.5 ms avg*/*DPC

Will any or all of these work with my Mac? Is one much better than the other? What have others experienced?

TIA,
Mishi8

Howard2k
Jul 28th, 2005, 04:10 PM
You won't have SATA, so the bottom one is ruled out.

Not sure of the difference between the top two, but they both look half decent.

EDIT: The difference between the top two is that the middle one has an 8MB cache. So all other things being equal, that's your best shot.

What is the price difference between the two?

mishi8
Jul 28th, 2005, 04:27 PM
You won't have SATA, so the bottom one is ruled out.

Not sure of the difference between the top two, but they both look half decent.

EDIT: The difference between the top two is that the middle one has an 8MB cache. So all other things being equal, that's your best shot.

What is the price difference between the two?

That's the one I figured was the best choice. :) The top one does have only 2MB Cache. I'd prefer to have the 8MB chache instead.

Now prices...that's my next challenge. I'm not sure what the difference in price is between the two. Looking at just the second one, the price depends if I buy retail or OEM, and where I buy from. I've seen an OEM price of $99.98, and a retail price of closer to $130.00 and then everything in between. I'd prefer to buy locally to avoid shipping charges, so am willing to pay a little extra since it would all come out even in the end. Anyone know where the best place to buy is in Edmonton? What are the risks/problems with buying OEM aside from warranty? Is it better to go retail because the warranty is longer?

IronMac
Jul 28th, 2005, 04:43 PM
A. Most HDs (as with most electronics) will fail pretty quickly. If they work for a couple of months you should be fine. (That's just my experience so anyone else can contradict me.)

B. On OEM HDs, the manufacturer will take it back and send you a new one. My OEM Western Digital died and WD sent one over toute suite. It was a smooth no-hassle experience. :)

MacDoc
Jul 28th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Get the OEM Seagate with 8 meg cache - should be 5 year warranty

mishi8
Jul 28th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Get the OEM Seagate with 8 meg cache - should be 5 year warranty

The OEMs I've found have only a one year warrantly (Memory Express is one place I've found them...$99). I found a retail one, with the full 5 year warranty at Acertive.ca for $108 ($116.19 with delivery). Is this a reasonable price? Is Acertive.ca a good company? They ship out of Vancouver.

Thanks,
mishi8

MacDoc
Jul 28th, 2005, 07:49 PM
That's backwards - the price is okay - it's a commodity so the source is not critical.

mishi8
Jul 28th, 2005, 07:59 PM
That's backwards - the price is okay - it's a commodity so the source is not critical.

What do you mean by "backwards?"

CN
Jul 28th, 2005, 08:38 PM
I think MacDoc means that the OEM usually has a longer warranty than the retail one, perhaps.

mishi8
Jul 29th, 2005, 12:01 AM
I think MacDoc means that the OEM usually has a longer warranty than the retail one, perhaps.

I think I'm confusing terms (no surprise when it comes to hard drives!)

gnatsum
Jul 29th, 2005, 01:17 AM
A. Most HDs (as with most electronics) will fail pretty quickly. If they work for a couple of months you should be fine. (That's just my experience so anyone else can contradict me.)

B. On OEM HDs, the manufacturer will take it back and send you a new one. My OEM Western Digital died and WD sent one over toute suite. It was a smooth no-hassle experience. :)
Do you replace your Hard Drives every couple of months?

IronMac
Jul 29th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Do you replace your Hard Drives every couple of months?

No, the comment was made in reference to what I've seen on the Internet for about 10 years and 5 years working with customers who used computers daily.

Also, my G4's original HD died within the first month that I had it. I installed another HD and that one died within a year I believe.

mishi8
Jul 30th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Thanks for your help!

I picked up the ST3120026A for $99.99 from Memory Express. It's great that they have a store in Edmonton. They have a 1 year warrantly, plus the manufacturer covers the remaining 4 years (5 in total.) I figure that's a pretty good price for extending the usefullness of my G4. :)

Now, I'm looking into a new processor...at some point down the road. :D

mishi8

andrewenterprise
Jul 30th, 2005, 03:18 AM
A. Most HDs (as with most electronics) will fail pretty quickly. If they work for a couple of months you should be fine. (That's just my experience so anyone else can contradict me.

Agreed.

gnatsum
Jul 30th, 2005, 03:20 AM
i have 6 year old HD's in my computer, may you either have bad luck...or you may not be taking care of your products...do you use disk care programs?

andrewenterprise
Jul 30th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Thanks for your help!

I picked up the ST3120026A for $99.99 from Memory Express. It's great that they have a store in Edmonton. They have a 1 year warrantly, plus the manufacturer covers the remaining 4 years (5 in total.) I figure that's a pretty good price for extending the usefullness of my G4. :)

Now, I'm looking into a new processor...at some point down the road. :D

mishi8

I have the same machine. I find that its quite an excellent machine, and I love the way they look too.

PosterBoy
Jul 30th, 2005, 03:51 AM

With most brands the OEM has a shorter warranty than the Retail package.

The first Maxtor HD I bought had a 3 year warranty, and the OEM equivalent had only 1 year.

IIRC, though, Seagate drives <em>all</em> have 5 year warranties now.