: Understanding RSS - Questions

Derrick
Jul 28th, 2005, 12:44 PM
I am trying to figure out the RSS component with the ultimate goal of creating a podcast that will be available on iTunes.

Here are the pieces of the puzzle that I need some clarification with:

1) Many articles reference using Blogger ... is the only purpose of using Blogger to actually host the file and display show notes ... or is there another purpose? My reason for asking is that I was thinking of using my .mac account to host the files.
2) Creating an iTunes compliant RSS feed ... I am close to completing this ... it appears to me so far that the RSS feed would be updated each time a new podcast is created (ie. adding a new item tag) ... and the RSS feed is what is read by iTunes to determine if a new show is available. I am assuming that the RSS feed is simply stored on one's website and is submitted to iTunes so it knows where to check for updates. Am I understanding this correctly?

Any clarification would be appreciated ... I am confident I can get everything to work ... I just want to understand the 'why' of some of these steps more clearly.

Thanks.

sketch
Jul 28th, 2005, 01:37 PM
I'm also starting up a podcast but I haven't dabbled in RSS yet but I may be able to answer your 2nd question.

I am assuming that the RSS feed is simply stored on one's website and is submitted to iTunes so it knows where to check for updates. Am I understanding this correctly?

I think iTunes goes to your site and reads your rss file. It uses that to update itself with your latest podcast. So, the answer to your question is "yup".