: Input devices of the iBook

someone
Jul 27th, 2005, 07:57 PM
versus a budget mice/keyboard set. Which one feels better?

Vexel
Jul 27th, 2005, 10:49 PM
I personally use an external mouse.. but type with the built in keyboard. I've become very accustomed to the lowered keys on the iBook.. moving to a full size keyboard seems clunky now.

harzack86
Jul 27th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Same for me: external mini mouse, and iBook keyboard...

trump
Jul 27th, 2005, 11:16 PM
I got a full Apple keyboard and a Microsoft S+ark mouse on my desk for when I need real work done, but most of the time I'm using the iBook's keyboard and trackpad as I'm kickin' it on the couch

monokitty
Jul 27th, 2005, 11:31 PM
I find it amazing that so many people dislike the trackpad. Using an external mouse for any iBook/PowerBook for me is nothing short of annoying.

darkscot
Jul 27th, 2005, 11:36 PM
I totally agree with you Lars. Whenever I "park" my 'book and try switching to a mouse I find ot clumsy, slow and...distant.

With the trackpad everything is so close within range.

harzack86
Jul 27th, 2005, 11:38 PM
I like the trackpad when I'm mobile, in a plane or the train, or sitting in a waiting area or in my bed (!) ;-)
But when my iBook is on a desk, I find the mouse a bit more convenient as I tend to have a better control of my pointer's movements with a mouse.
Maybe it's just a question of training though...

someone
Jul 28th, 2005, 12:28 AM
But most iBook owner here would agree that they got used to the scissor-switch keyboard overtime, right?

Also, some iBook reviewers have complained that the iBook's keyboard feels flimsy. What do you think? (esp. when compared with the keyboard of the Powerbook)

Vexel
Jul 28th, 2005, 12:48 AM
I love my iBooks keyboard. Very stable.. and responsive. I love it actually. I can type really well on it.. and it's still very "new feeling" despite being 8 months old now or so.

dona83
Jul 28th, 2005, 01:29 AM
The trackpad with the new scrollpad (2005 iBooks) or using the iScroll2 hack (for pre-2004 iBooks) is very enjoyable to use. Of course at home the mouse still rules but I find that I'm not any less productive with the trackpad while I'm on the road... i'm have great fun with this trackpad, which I oddly found annoying in PC laptops I've used before.

someone
Jul 28th, 2005, 08:45 PM
The trackpad with the new scrollpad (2005 iBooks) or using the iScroll2 hack (for pre-2004 iBooks) is very enjoyable to use. Of course at home the mouse still rules but I find that I'm not any less productive with the trackpad while I'm on the road... i'm have great fun with this trackpad, which I oddly found annoying in PC laptops I've used before.
Apple is known for its attention in detail, while the same cannot be said about PC manufacturers. My first experience with the trackpad was on a Dell and it wasn't very positive.

Also, does the letters on the iBook's keyboard fade overtime?

gnatsum
Jul 28th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Laptops with painted on keys are STUPID. well that goes for any keyboard.

my friend's gateway laptop saw keyboard letter wear in 2 months. and she's no computer freak. just an everyday msn hotmail google person.

my first experience with a trackpad was on a wallstreet. stupidest thing ever. ibm's little knob works better, but sometimes gets stuck in a direction.

all the people in my school who have laptops bring a mouse along.

don't you hate when your shirt drags on the trackpad while typing?

my friends HP has a trackpad on/off switch, very useful for when you are typing.

do iBook's trackpads switch off when a mouse is detected?

someone
Jul 28th, 2005, 09:07 PM
I believe so.

Also, all of the computers at my high school and the one I have at home are more than 5 years old (at least) and I didn't see any faded letters on any of their keyboards.

thejst
Jul 28th, 2005, 09:25 PM
I, like Vexel, love the 'new' keyboard on the iBook. The old translucent ones were so spongy- I had a PB 500 TiBook that I sold primarily for that reason alone. I hated typing on it.

I also believe that the 12" seems nicer than the 14" 'book. I personally don't care for all the extra space around the machine...

HowEver
Jul 28th, 2005, 11:25 PM

macfoto
Aug 1st, 2005, 02:26 AM
There is an option in the trackpad system preferences if you want the computer to ignore the trackpad when a mouse is plugged in.