: Why is iPhoto5 so damn slow?!

howing
Jul 27th, 2005, 06:46 PM
It takes 2 minutes to launch... 4 more minutes to scroll smoothly... then each photo takes about 5 seconds to load. Worse, it takes like 5 minutes to close the application. iPhoto 4 was quick! what has gotten into it?
I've got about 10,000 photos in my iPhoto as of now... It's built to take more than that.. and my PowerBook's a 1.33Ghz with 1GB of RAM, so that should be fine. I've got more than 20GB's free on my HDD.
What's slowing this down!?
It's really embarrassing when I have to show people my photos from iPhoto. It's so slow!

Howard2k
Jul 27th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Did you try to rebuild the library?

jdurston
Jul 27th, 2005, 07:08 PM
how do you rebuild the library?

Howard2k
Jul 27th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Make a backup copy first.

Hold the Apple. Shift and Option keys while opening iPhoto.

gnatsum
Jul 27th, 2005, 08:18 PM
lol doesn't sound too safe if the first step is to backup...

Howard2k
Jul 27th, 2005, 08:23 PM
You're kidding right? It's a database rebuild. It'd be kinda silly NOT to backup wouldn't it? :)

I've never had a problem doing it but ALWAYS backup my iPhoto and iTunes libraries before doing any sort of mass change.

howing
Jul 28th, 2005, 09:56 AM
i'm freaked out then... rebuild? the last time i tried rebuilding anything under mac osx, i lost my entire email folder. that's without backup btw.. but was very lucky to have my server send it back to me (all 1150+) messages. i'll just stick to not opening iPhoto or scrapping it altogether then...

maximusbibicus
Jul 28th, 2005, 10:06 AM
I find iPhoto to be a dog, and I don't like the way it organizes.

I use Image Capture to download photos, and I view them with Preview. Works for me, and it just does not bog the system at all.

Just one mans view. :D

Howard2k
Jul 28th, 2005, 11:05 AM
i'm freaked out then... rebuild? the last time i tried rebuilding anything under mac osx, i lost my entire email folder. that's without backup btw.. but was very lucky to have my server send it back to me (all 1150+) messages. i'll just stick to not opening iPhoto or scrapping it altogether then...

I hate to be pedantic, but there is really no risk at all then is there?

Worst case, you backup all your data, rebuild the DB and iPhoto trashes your database. As you said, you're considering never using iPhoto again ANYWAY so there is absolutely no risk at all? So you're out maybe a couple of hours of CPU time while the rebuild happens and you dump your backup photos back to your Mac.

I'm paranoid, I backup because I don't want to lose data. I don't backup because I'm anticipating losing data.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the suggestion to rebuild the library is not something that I'm suggesting will make a night/day difference in performance. It's just a suggestion. A safe suggestion if common sense computing practices are carried out :)