: Seagate Hard drive question

wonderings
Jul 27th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I am looking at adding a 250 gig seagate hard drive to my Dual G5. The info I get on the hard drive is:

Seagate 250GB ST-3250823AS Barracuda 7200.8 SATA w/NCQ Hard Disk

On all the other hard drives at www.canadacomputers.com they list the mb cache of the hard drive. On this seagate I cant find that info, and I have never head of NCQ Hard disk. Can anyone shed some light as to what this is? And if this hard drive has an 8mb or more cache?

thanks

CanadaRAM
Jul 27th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Native Command Queuing is immaterial for your Mac -- the SATA controller on the motherboard does not support it. NCQ is meant for servers, it is of dubious value in typical desktop computer use patterns, and may even slow certain types of work down. For much detail, go to www.storagereview.com and search.

Interestingly, Seagate don't disclose the cache size on this drive at their website. I believe it is 8 Mb.

Big problem: Seagate offers a 5 year warranty on this drive,, but the vendor you referenced offers only 1 year. This indicates that it is an OEM model drive that is $20 - $30 cheaper because of that missing warranty. You want the 5 years, no doubt. Give this a pass and look for a seller that offers the full manufacturer's warranty.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

wonderings
Jul 27th, 2005, 02:19 PM
thanks CanadaRAM, I will keep shopping around.

krs
Jul 27th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Here are the nitty gritty specs on that drive including the cache/buffer size:
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/specs/sata/st3250823as.html

krs
Jul 27th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Big problem: Seagate offers a 5 year warranty on this drive,, but the vendor you referenced offers only 1 year. This indicates that it is an OEM model drive that is $20 - $30 cheaper because of that missing warranty. You want the 5 years, no doubt. Give this a pass and look for a seller that offers the full manufacturer's warranty.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Doesn't the warranty on the hard drives always come from the manufacturer, not the store?
There have also been numerous posts on ehMac recommending one buy the OEM version not the retail version because the OEM version comes with a three or five year warranty (depending on manufacturer) whereas the retail version comes in a nice box but only with a one year warranty.