: Earbud headphones problem & iPod/iTunes questions

iKV
Jul 24th, 2005, 04:09 AM
My right "bud" on my iPod shuffle earbud headphones gave out a few days ago. Now, only a little bit of sound comes from it; left one is still working fine. Anyone know of what the problem could be? Possible solution? Is there some type of warranty/guarantee on the product I could take advantage of? Would the Mac shop I purchased it from help me out?

Since I'm on this topic, I also have a few questions related to iTunes:

1) Why doesn't/can't the iTunes playcount for each song increase when you play that song on your iPod, after syncing of course?? A nice little feature I'd like to have....

2) I remember a thread on this a while ago, but couldn't find it now. Is it possible to attach the lyrics of a song to an mp3's ID3 tag?

3) I own an iBook with 2 USB ports. Occasionally, my computer doesn't recognize my shuffle when I put it in one of the ports, but does with the other port. Also, there's no consistency to this: one day my left USB port will recognize the shuffle and not the right, the next day the right recognizes it and not the left. Anyone have similar problems?

andreww
Jul 24th, 2005, 08:42 AM
The earbuds are gauranteed for one year. Apple is pretty good with these and will have a new set at your door in less than 48hrs. Out of warranty? Hint; if you have a friend withh a new ipod...

DBerG
Jul 24th, 2005, 02:27 PM
My right "bud" on my iPod shuffle earbud headphones gave out a few days ago. Now, only a little bit of sound comes from it; left one is still working fine. Anyone know of what the problem could be? Possible solution? Is there some type of warranty/guarantee on the product I could take advantage of? Would the Mac shop I purchased it from help me out?
It happened to me. Very frustrating, but then you ask apple to replace them. They send you another pair for free if you're under warranty, and you take care of the new ones. It's my third repair now. :eek:.
I found out that these earbuds are very weak. Don't use them at work or they'll get broken. :o (Outdoor work). If they get drown, well put them in front of an humidificator??? (is that the real word?)

iKV
Jul 24th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Do I contact Apple, or the retailer?

I don't know how they were damaged, other than maybe dropping them on the ground a few dozen times. :D

Thanks for the info!!!

DBerG
Jul 24th, 2005, 03:58 PM
If you're under APPLE warranty just go there : http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/?country=ca&language=ca
If you're under your RETAILER warranty, call them and see what they can do for you. If your under both, contact apple.
If the retailer got no warranty, it doesn't surprise me. I wouldn't expect that.

TimStalin
Jul 28th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the link DBerG (without it I wouldn't have gotten an new pair of earbuds today!) I filled out the form and had a replacement pair 2 days later. Who knew it was that painless?

I just wish I hadn't wasted $100 on other headphones in the mean time as I (incorrectly) assumed that the earbuds weren't part of the warranty. Although the Apple earbuds are rather cheap, I much prefer their fit and sound compared to other low-end buds.

Just as an aside, I bought a pair of Apple In-Ear phones as a replacement but was very disappointed with them -- until I learned to insert them correctly. They still don't sound perfect but the sound isolation is nice to have.

BTW the reason I replaced my earbuds was because the left phone lost its bass.

Randy B. Singer
Jul 28th, 2005, 12:35 AM
This isn't responsive to your original question, but you may find it interesting anyway.

You might want to check out this inexpensive product from Griffin Technology. EarJams are an add-on enhancement for Apple's standard iPod earbuds. The EarJams snap onto the earbuds, converting them to in-ear type earphones, which the company claims increases bass output and volume level. The package includes three sizes of soft rubber inserts to adapt to different ear sizes. EarJams are US$15, including a carrying case.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/earjams/

Grunt
Jul 28th, 2005, 09:25 AM
I have a pair of Earjams and would not hesitate to pass the word along to other people - they work beautifully. Plus, it means not having to lose those foam ear coverings. ;)

highapostle
Jul 28th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Since I'm on this topic, I also have a few questions related to iTunes:

1) Why doesn't/can't the iTunes playcount for each song increase when you play that song on your iPod, after syncing of course?? A nice little feature I'd like to have....

If iTunes is set to Automatically update your Library or Automatically update select playlists, then playcounts should transfer over. However, if you're using manual update, they won't.

HowEver
Jul 28th, 2005, 10:12 AM

draz
Jul 28th, 2005, 12:24 PM
You should get them replaced asap. But you all know that nothing compares to the old school giant head phoens that cover your entire ear....ooohh yeah

But they take away from your business work credit when you wear them..even if you tell your boss they are electric ear muffs...

" Ok mr VP, i am going to have mr.Anderson explian these charts to you...... ..... ....mr.Anderson.......Dave?..... ANDERSON GET THOSE GOOOFY EARMUFFS OFF YOUR HEAD, AND GIVE MR VP THE GOD DAMN PRESENTATION.....you yuppie bastard...

Yeah, don't wear them at work....(i learned this the hard way)

HowEver
Jul 28th, 2005, 02:18 PM