: Fixed tibook screen

andreww
May 18th, 2005, 09:21 PM
As I reported here, I picked up a rather beat up, but fully functional tibook for next to nothing several months ago. I have already disassembled and repainted the outside casing, and was very pleased with the results. The only thing that bothered me was that the screen was a mess. It had the imprint of every key as well as halh the trackpad etched in it, as wall as several scratches. I tried cleaning but realized that these were permenant.

My next step was to try some kind of screen covering. I had the most success with some screen acitates (Mcally I believe). They were expensive and much too glossy, and you could still see the scratches through it. I played with some laminates and window tinting products but found them to be either too dark, or that the adhesive was visible when light passed through it.

My last step, was using a spray on, matte finish clearcoat made by Krylon. I applied it in 2 fine coats and let me tell you that my screen looks like new!. This came out better than I could have imagined. it's frigging perfect and none of the previous imperfections are visible, and I'm a very picky guy.

Now I might even consider putting in a big fast drive in this thing!