Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

hate is alive and well

4K views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  Vinnie Cappuccino 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I wondered what David Duke was up to these days. I fear movements like this far more that foreigh terrorists. Paix.

#6 ·
MACSPECTRUM said:
check out the flags
I would like to preface by saying that I do not agree with any of the teachings or views of the National Vanguard.

What I find interesting is the reaction to the Confederate flag. It just goes to show that symbols and sometimes misinformation do work.

I have always looked upon the Confederate flag as a symbol of the South and it's culture. Even today, many of it's elements are being used in State Flags. The Confederate flag is part of the South heritage.

By "demonising" the flag, it does become a more powerful symbol in the hand of white supremacist.

#8 ·
AS, having lived in rural Georgia (Waycross) for two years and in Athens, Georgia at the Univ. of Georgia, for three years, I heard the arguements back then about taking the Confederate flag out of the State Flag of Georgia. It has since been removed. However, when it is used to commemorate the war dead at Confederate monuments, I have no trouble with this flag, even though I was born and raised in New York City. However, how it is oftentimes used is as a warning -- a warning to those people to whom racists normally vent their hate and anger (i.e., African Americans, people who are Jewish and Catholic, Asians, Hispanics, et al). The use of this flag for THIS purpose is not to promote the southern culture and heritage that is proud, but to promote fear and hate.

For the record, I have been "visited" by the KKK once in my life, late one night in Coy Alabama, and the way the Klan uses this flag is NOT meant to show any sort of respect. Paix.

#9 ·
MACSPECTRUM said:
as for the confederate flag, you may want to ask the NAACP their opinion on that
I'm really tired of a lot of PC crap. I'm quite aware of the NAACP and some of their stances.
Should we remove the confederate flag off the hood of the General Lee car in the Dukes of Hazard?

In some areas of Quebec, the Canadian flags is about as welcomed as the Nazi flag. Should we remove all Canadian Flags in Quebec?

It's amusing to read high school history books from Canada and Quebec - both report the same events from different perpectives and conclusions.

#10 ·
AS, when I taught grade six in Waycross, GA, the Civil War was called "The War of Northern Agression" and "The War between the States" in the two social studies books I used.

#11 · (Edited)
Dr. G., thanks for that insight.
Part of my point is that it's quite easy to polarise certain perpectives when it's not so clear cut. We tend to look at history as set events (or conclusions), and forget that it's more of a flow that have many influences. To many, the Civil War was a war againts slavery (it was in part), but it was not the only factor that led to it.

#12 ·
AS, I see your point. I do not support one and only one interpretation of certain historical events. Being a US history major in university, and taking a couple of historiography courses made me see how events are interpreted in a variety of ways. I an not for revisionism, or the denial of certain historical facts, such as the Holocaust, but it don't want to look at events in a black and white manner. Even Lincoln would have told you that the Civil War was initially fought to unify the union.

#13 ·
MACSPECTRUM said:
Am I the only one that noticed, what looks like, the Ontario provincial flag hanging there?
That scares me even more.
Actually, I think it's the old Red Ensign. I have a feeling a lot of veterans and older Canadians won't appreciate this group of nutbars appropriating this symbol!

#15 ·
Dr.G. said:
AS, when I taught grade six in Waycross, GA, the Civil War was called "The War of Northern Agression" and "The War between the States" in the two social studies books I used.
It's still referred to that way "down here".

#16 ·
Shawn, my best friend went to Univ. of Tenn (Go Vols) as well as the Univ. of Georgia (Go Dawgs), and he taught public school in central and south Georgia as well. He would say that there was a band from Virginia to south Georgia, and then west to parts of Texas, that have not forgotten the Civil War. What brings you down to Tenn.???

#17 ·
Dr.G. said:
Shawn, my best friend went to Univ. of Tenn (Go Vols) as well as the Univ. of Georgia (Go Dawgs), and he taught public school in central and south Georgia as well. He would say that there was a band from Virginia to south Georgia, and then west to parts of Texas, that have not forgotten the Civil War.
"Parts"? I'd say there were more than "parts". :)
What brings you down to Tenn.???
The sponsor of my show invited me down. Turns out, I like it down here.

#18 ·
SK, actually, western Texax was not really involved in the Civil War.

I just realized that you are THE Shawn King of "Your Mac Life". I have listened to your audio clips during my early Mac (iBook G4) days.

#19 ·
Dr.G. said:
SK, actually, western Texax was not really involved in the Civil War.
Yeah - but you can't tell them that. :)
I just realized that you are THE Shawn King of "Your Mac Life".
LOL
I have listened to your audio clips during my early Mac (iBook G4) days.
I take that to mean you no longer listen. :)

#20 ·
Shawn, I still listen. I should have said "I have listened and continue to listen...."

Back on the theme of this thread, I wonder if you have been able to lay to rest the "all southerners are ********" myth?

#21 ·
Dr.G. said:
Back on the theme of this thread, I wonder if you have been able to lay to rest the "all southerners are ********" myth?
LOL Come on...stereotypes exist because of....well...I blame the media.... :)

I've lived and visited all over the world. The South has no monopoly on ******** - they just have a cultural head start. :)

I love living down here - the people are friendly, funny, helpful and kind. But that's been true of anywhere I've lived. Make no mistake, there are still jerkoffs and a**holes here - just like there are in Canada.

But, as much as I like living here, I'll always be a proud Canadian (if you watch the video feed our our show you'll see a huge Canadian flag behind me :) ) and will move "back home" at some point.

Back to your question - yes, a large percentage of Southerners are "********". But, as Jeff Foxworthy has shown, "*******" doesn't automatically mean bigoted, black hating, Confederate flag waving, Deliverance watching, "War of Northern Agression reliving", loud, obnoxious, South of the Mason Dixon Line living Americans.

Hell - I've dated a couple of ******** here in TN. Don't knock it - Southern girls tend to like sports and probably know more about college football than you do. :)

#22 ·
SK, actually, I take the opposite view re the southern US. I feel as if the "*******" stereotype is just that, a stereotype, just like many of the other stereotypes that are found in the US and Canada. Having been born and raised in New York City, I saw a different way of life in my five years living in Georgia. However, I actually experienced more racial tension in NYC than in Waycross or Athens. So, I do not think that a large percentage of southerners are ********/racists. Just my opinion.

#23 ·
Dr.G. said:
SK, actually, I take the opposite view re the southern US. I feel as if the "*******" stereotype is just that, a stereotype, just like many of the other stereotypes that are found in the US and Canada.
Stereotypes are often born of the germ of truth.
So, I do not think that a large percentage of southerners are ********/racists. Just my opinion.
Well, I don't equate "*******" with "racist". While a large percentage of Southerners are "********" that does not automatically make them racists, as I said previous.

#24 ·
SK, re "Well, I don't equate "*******" with "racist"", neither do I. I tire of the name calling that is being thrown around here in Canada between those of different political parties, socio-economic beliefs, religions, etc.

#25 ·
Dr. G., I have lived in the U.S. and noticed that racism seems to be alive in some counties. It seemed to be partly based on a socio-economic dividing line. and, IMO, a certain ingrained racism. As a Canadian working in Southern States it was hard for me to accept (still is).

I also remember a few incidents where there was a reverse racism (for lack of a better word). I was stuck in a small Texas town. I asked for a good restaurant in town, from a local gas station owner. He asked me "Do you want a good place where "you" people eat or where "we" eat..." - It was the best tex-mex food, I had ever tasted.....

Some sterotypes exist because they are true - in that same town, I had breakfast where it was all white, cowboy hats and pickups....

#26 ·
AS, I found that racism crossed all socio-economic lines, in that I have met wealthy, middle-class and poor racists. Still, I have met some fine wealthy people, middle class people and poor people. I guess that, in my old age, I am tending to moderate my views about groups of people. I don't like to be clustered together in some distinct group, so I shall not do it to other people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.