: Can't copy to PC external drive

The Great Waka
May 12th, 2005, 01:22 PM
I need to move a 16GB QT file (final version of a movie) and I'm planning on using an external hard drive. Unfortunately, the drive is formatted with a MS-DOS file system (shakes head) and thus has a problem with files over 2GB. Is there a way around this? The file is the Quicktime output from FCP. I believe that if I save it to the drive directly from FCP, it will automatically split the file into 1.9GB chunks, however I don't know how easy it will be for the people at the other end to put it back together.

Or should I just wipe my iPod and throw it on there?

mguertin
May 12th, 2005, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't trust letting FCP split it and it be put back together on the other end ... call me skeptical but I've seen nasties happen, especially to FAT16/FAT32 in the past.

What are they using to get it off at the other end? Is it possible to just reformat the drive as HFS+?

The Great Waka
May 12th, 2005, 05:25 PM
I'm not entirely sure what they will have at the other end. It's going in to Precision here in Toronto. I just had a look at their website, and they use FCP, so I'm sure that they wouldn't have a problem with it, but like you said, I don't like having to split up the file.

Unfortunately I can not reformat the drive, as it is mostly used on a PC, and you how those things are with HFS+ drives. So I think the iPod route will be what I'll have to do.

mguertin
May 12th, 2005, 05:27 PM
yep, the iPod route will probably save you both a lot of grief!

Bighead
May 12th, 2005, 07:25 PM
"Mac OS X 10.3 Panther works with local NTFS-formatted volumes. The volume will be read-only.

Warning: NTFS formatted drives cannot be used in a Macintosh (except as read-only with Mac OS X 10.,3 as noted above). If you attempt to use a NTFS formatted disk, upon starting up the Mac OS will prompt you to format the drive. Do not format the drive, doing so will erase the contents of the drive. If you have an NTFS formatted disk, you must use another method to transfer the data from the PC to the Macintosh."

Bighead
May 12th, 2005, 07:27 PM
I have pretty much the same issue. 20 GB of video and no way to "efficiently" transfer to another computer (PC).

Help!

live4ever
May 13th, 2005, 12:51 AM
I've had good experience with .rar files for being split into manageable chunks.

The Great Waka
May 13th, 2005, 02:05 AM
I didn't think about raring. That's a good idea. Is there a free app that lets you create rars? I have UnRarX but that just opens them.

Or, of course, I could always put it on the powerbook to move it. Duh. May go the iPod route just because it's easier to carry though.

MACSPECTRUM
May 14th, 2005, 09:30 AM
I have pretty much the same issue. 20 GB of video and no way to "efficiently" transfer to another computer (PC).

Help!

"another PC" on your intranet?
or
over the internet?

many ways to do this
please provide details