: Toast Titanium 5.2 and Tiger

dallan
May 11th, 2005, 11:32 PM
I have Toast Titanium 5.2 and am thinking about upgrading to Tiger. Does anyone know if there is a compatability issue with Toast 5.2 and Tiger, or does it work well. I am a little paranoid about switching up when everything is now working well, and I really don't want to have to purchase another version of Toast, but I get the free Tiger upgrade from Apple for my Mac Mini.
Thanks

Gerbill
May 12th, 2005, 12:08 AM
I don't know if version 5.x will work with Tiger, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. You'd be a lot happier with Toast 6 - it's a full Cocoa app, and it's already had a Tiger update.

You shouldn't have any trouble selling your copy of version 5 - it's the last version that works with OS 9.

macsackbut
May 12th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Well, I have Toast Lite 5.2.2, and it certainly launches OK and accepts data, though I haven't actually tested it out by burning something.

Though I haven't actually answered your question, hope this helps somewhat.

MacS

mguertin
May 12th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Running Toast 5.2.3 here in Tiger without problems. I haven't done extensive burning, but I've done a few ISO images and some data cd's and dvd's without problems.

HTH

Mark

Klaatu
May 12th, 2005, 04:32 PM
I don't know if version 5.x will work with Tiger, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. You'd be a lot happier with Toast 6 - it's a full Cocoa app, and it's already had a Tiger update.

You shouldn't have any trouble selling your copy of version 5 - it's the last version that works with OS 9.

Weird. Even pc users can still install programs in Windows 95. Why can't last month's software work on this month's OS X?

I have Toast 5.2.1 and it runs fine. You shouldn't have any problems there.

Gerbill
May 12th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Weird. Even pc users can still install programs in Windows 95. Why can't last month's software work on this month's OS X?

I didn't say it wouldn't work. Apparently it does, in fact, work. All I said was that version 6 is better. This is an observation from extensive experience, although, even so, just my opinion.

mguertin
May 12th, 2005, 04:44 PM

because win32 is sucky and hasn't really changed in many years, not unlike Intel based CPU offerings -- they just keep tacking stuff onto the side of it all and making it bigger, faster, and nastier ... OSX on the otherhand has progressed into newer and better things like 64 bit toolchains, modern kernels, updated frameworks and the like, which sadly also mean updated API's, incompatible ABI's and the need to upgrade software :o That's one of the (only) downfalls of *nix based stuff IMHO, is that sometimes when you do some major changes to the underpinnings it can often trickle down into userland and require updates.

A lot of it comes back to the software vendors too, it's funny that Toast 5.x is workin fine, but 6.x was not without an update hehe :eek:

Mark

Gerbill
May 12th, 2005, 11:09 PM
... it's funny that Toast 5.x is workin fine, but 6.x was not without an update hehe :eek:

Mark Not really. You see, Toast 5.x is a Carbon app - it depends on the Carbon APIs for running in OS X, even though it's actually a Classic app. You can bet those Carbon APIs aren't going to change much between now and the time (not so very far off) when Carbon functionality gets sloughed off from OS X like a dead snake skin.

Toast 6.x, however, is a Cocoa app. That means it ties into parts of the OS that aren't cast in stone, so it required some minor Tiger-related adjustments.

mguertin
May 12th, 2005, 11:29 PM
True enough. :o