: PDF reader not working

Carex
May 8th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I receive a newsletter from a fellow who uses a windows machine. He is definitely not what you would call a computer whiz. The newsletter is sent in PDF format. My default reader is Preview, but when I open the document in Preview the text is all non-sensical and jumbled symbols. It opens fine in Acrobat Reader 6.

I have never had this problem (very minor obviously) with PDF documents accessed on the web or sent from other windows users/mac users whatever.

Is there some step he is performing/not performing that is making the documents unreadable in Preview or is he using a font that is not recognized by Preview?

Curious in Vanisle.

MACSPECTRUM
May 8th, 2005, 12:58 PM
how is he creating his PDFs?
could be he is using an older version of Adobe Acrobat or some 3rd party freeware for Windows that may not conform to newer PDF standard?

if you'd like you could email me the file and I can have a look

Vexel
May 8th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Like MACSPECTRUM said.. I can concur, he's probably using something which saves PDF's to the Adobe 4 standard.. that used to give me hell before when I wanted to use Preview. Ask your friend to update the standard he is exporting to and it should be fine.