: Virtual PC for OS 10.2.8??? How does it work?

rose_productions
Apr 8th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Hi there! Does anybody use Virtual PC on their MAC? I downloaded the Microsoft Version so I can use ebay Seller Tools ( Turbo Lister etc...)
Any help on starting out using this AP would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Brad

shoe
Apr 8th, 2005, 12:22 PM
I use virtual pc

basically what it does is it installes a virtual hard drive or allocates a spot on your hard drive to put windows opperating system and files. The application its self is a PC emulator wich allows windows to run on the mac.

I dont use it that often but sometimes its nice to know you can try out a windows app if needed.

shoe

im not sure if that answeared your question but o well

Gerbill
Apr 8th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Hi there! Does anybody use Virtual PC on their MAC? I downloaded the Microsoft Version so I can use ebay Seller Tools ( Turbo Lister etc...)
Thanks!
Brad It works "OK." Not fast, but functional, in a limited kind of way. Maybe I'd be more enthusiastic if I had a G5 DP, but I just have a 1GHz eMac.

krs
Apr 8th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks!
Brad

Have you used windows PC's before?
I find that Virtual PC on the Mac runs exactly the same as the matching windows operating system on a PC except possibly for the speed.
But that depends on the speed of your Mac and the speed of the PC you're comparing it to.
If you haven't used Windows before I would suggest you get one of these manuals for the specific Windows operating system you're using with Virtual PC.

I assume you used the windows version of IE that came with VPC to download the ebay sellers tools...I also assume that the tools would be installed under 'programs' which is under the start button at the lower left. The rest should be pretty straight forward.

rose_productions
Apr 17th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Have you used windows PC's before?
I find that Virtual PC on the Mac runs exactly the same as the matching windows operating system on a PC except possibly for the speed.
But that depends on the speed of your Mac and the speed of the PC you're comparing it to.
If you haven't used Windows before I would suggest you get one of these manuals for the specific Windows operating system you're using with Virtual PC.

I assume you used the windows version of IE that came with VPC to download the ebay sellers tools...I also assume that the tools would be installed under 'programs' which is under the start button at the lower left. The rest should be pretty straight forward.
Hi there and thanks for all your help! I am new to this site and appreciate all the advice!
* I was wondering how to install and get Virtual PC running? Does anybody have a quick and easy answer? I do use a lame PC for the ebay tools so far, but it only has a 450 mhz speed where my beautiful G4 is a Dual 1.25 Ghz!!!
Again I appreciate any help and feel free to contact me. I am the only MAC user in the small town I live in.
Brad

Todd
Apr 17th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Hi there and thanks for all your help! I am new to this site and appreciate all the advice!
* I was wondering how to install and get Virtual PC running? Does anybody have a quick and easy answer? I do use a lame PC for the ebay tools so far, but it only has a 450 mhz speed where my beautiful G4 is a Dual 1.25 Ghz!!!
Again I appreciate any help and feel free to contact me. I am the only MAC user in the small town I live in.
Brad
What do the instructions that came with Virtual PC say? Did you buy a copy of Windows when you bought Virtual PC? You'll need one to make it work.

rose_productions
Apr 17th, 2005, 12:23 PM
What do the instructions that came with Virtual PC say? Did you buy a copy of Windows when you bought Virtual PC? You'll need one to make it work.
Ahhhhh. I see. No I don't have a copy of Windows. Stupid me. After I install Virtual PC, I need to install a Wondows OS? That makes sense.
Thanks for the help Todd!
Have a good sunday!
Brad

Todd
Apr 17th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Consider buying a used copy of an older version of Windows - like 98SE or 2000. It will run faster than XP and save you money. For most things people need Virtual PC for, an older version of Windows is all they need. If you truly need to run XP, you're likely better to buy a real computer to run it.

Mac Jedi
Apr 17th, 2005, 03:14 PM
You should be aware that VPC emulates only basic Windows hardware (max P-II 500-600 MHz) and Windows performance probably would be the same or even slower to compare with your "lame PC with 450 MHz speed"
Todd has made a good point try installing W2K. It would be more responsive.
Consider adding more RAM to your Mac!
One more, it could be a pain to install Win 98 or W2K on VPC7. Since it was primarily designed as a bundle with Win XP service pack 2.

PForbes
Apr 17th, 2005, 07:51 PM
I've been using VPC for a number of years both at home, at work and on the road. I saw it demo'd back in the mid-90s with Word docs crossing from MS Word for Mac to VPC MS Word. I bought it to work on my Performa (OS7.5) and still use the same one on this iMac. It's wonderful.

Patrick

Fox
Apr 17th, 2005, 09:26 PM
One more, it could be a pain to install Win 98 or W2K on VPC7. Since it was primarily designed as a bundle with Win XP service pack 2.
Actually, either one installs easily; I've done both on VPC7. But some of the features of VPC7 (access of Windows programs through the Mac dock) will not work with Win 98. They will work with W2K, but only the latest version of it (I believe that was Service Pack 2). And yes, older versions of Windows run faster than newer ones on the Mac. On my Cube, I'm still running VPC5 with Win 95 and 98.

MACSPECTRUM
Apr 17th, 2005, 11:11 PM
I have a 15" PB, 1.33 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 4200 rpm HD, 10.3.8

I am running VPC 7.0 with XP Pro so I can support my PC clients for things like Outlook, Word, Office, etc. and not having to buy a 2nd laptop.
All my PC clients run XP Pro and MS Office.

I adjusted the RAM in VPC to 512 MB and turned OFF virtual memory in XP in VPC. Turned OFF as much eye candy as I could in XP and use 16-bit video to gain as much performance as possible.

Still am slow. Booting is so slow.

What do y'all think if i upped the RAM in my PB to 2 GB and upgrade the HD to 5400 rpm?

When I am in the office I have a 2GHz AMD machine with 512 GB RAM for support.

Do you think I might get some better performance?

Thanks.

Mac Jedi
Apr 18th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Maximum size of RAM you can allocate to Win is 512 MB even if you have 4GB of Ram on Mac side.

MACSPECTRUM
Apr 19th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Maximum size of RAM you can allocate to Win is 512 MB even if you have 4GB of Ram on Mac side.

thanks
anyone using VPC 7 on a PB with a 5400 rpm HD?

hawkeyejake
Apr 21st, 2005, 02:53 PM
im quite restricted when it comes to hard drive
any idea how much space virtual pc + xp would take up?

Mac Jedi
Apr 21st, 2005, 03:17 PM
im quite restricted when it comes to hard drive
any idea how much space virtual pc + xp would take up?

Virtual PC 7.01 - 64 MB
Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 with all recent updates ~ 2.4 GB

hawkeyejake
Apr 21st, 2005, 03:26 PM
thats a bit too big
im not sure its worth it

Mac Jedi
Apr 21st, 2005, 03:29 PM
thats a bit too big
im not sure its worth it

You may wish to try VPC 6 with Win 98
it would be VPC6 - 46 MB and Win98 ~ 800 MB