: Troubleshooting iMovie NOT emptying trash

jfriesen
Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:02 PM
I spent time looking through this forum, so I am hoping that I didn't miss the answer to this one. I am making a movie in iMovie 3. I am so close to being done I can taste it, except I cannot do the last touch ups because of memory shortages. I want to empty the trash to free up some memory, but everytime I try the program quietly goes away (crashes). The movie is only 5 minutes and 28 seconds. I have 205 mb in the trash and 518 mb free.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Janice :confused:

AWK
Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:36 PM
Can you move other data off the start up volume temporarily? This will free up the necessary cache space and should allow you to empty iMovie's trash.

CubaMark
Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:24 PM
BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING: go into your Users/username/Movies/projectname folder and DUPLICATE the project file. iMovie has a well-known bug, in which emptying the trash can make the project file unreadable (i.e., corrupted).

Always best to have a copy.

As for the problem with emptying trash... try freeing up some more space on the system by deleting large files / applications you aren't using (or can move to another drive / CD / whatever temporarily). Also run the usual system maintenance utilities (Onyx or Macaroni, etc.).

M

jfriesen
Apr 8th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the help.

I did have time and dumped lots of things from my hard drive and archived some to CD to free some space and that made a huge difference. I am now able to edit the movie, so I will be able to finish it. It seems like the minute you start editing there is always something else!

The trash is still shutting the program down though... I tried creating another movie to see if it would happen with a new file and it did not. I was able to empty the iMovie trash with no problem.

Still a puzzle, but at least the movie is intact!

Janice