: Newbie Questions!

UsedToLoveWindows
Mar 31st, 2005, 09:58 PM
Hi All,

I have been the proud owner of a Mac Mini for about 4 hours and already, I'm lost. I have 2 questions (for now):

1. Why when I run MSN Messenger does it place a disk drive like icon on my desktop?

2. If I buy 1GB of RAM and bring it to my Apple Reseller...will they install it?

Regs,

CJM

ShawnKing
Mar 31st, 2005, 10:07 PM
2. If I buy 1GB of RAM and bring it to my Apple Reseller...will they install it?
You'll have to call them and ask if they will. Some will, some won't. There may be an additional charge. If you buy it direct from them, they may not charge you installation fee.

Hank
Mar 31st, 2005, 10:13 PM
Welcome aboard. In answer to your questions.

1 - No. The MSN application icon will show up in the 'dock' located at the bottom of the window. There will be a small black triangle below indicating that the application is running. If you want the app. icon to remain in the dock move your mouse pointer over the icon and click and hold for a second or two, a menu will pop up, select 'keep in dock'.

2 - They probably will, but you will be charged for it. If you bought the mini or ram from the reseller, they may install it for free.

Chealion
Mar 31st, 2005, 10:19 PM
UsedToLoveWindows - For MSN Messenger, and most applications you download they are distributed on what is termed a disk image. This places a white disk n your desktop, where you are able to copy the application from that disk into your Applications folder or elsewhere.

Have you copied the program (dragged it and dropped it from the disk image to somewhere else)?

If you haven't you'll want to, as then you can eject this virtual disk, and also throw out the .dmg file which stores the information to mount the virtual disk.

UsedToLoveWindows
Mar 31st, 2005, 10:32 PM
EDIT - Answered my own question...using VNC.

Worked perfectly Chealion.

BTW - What has everyone else done to continue to connect to their PC remotely?

Regs,

CJM

Chealion
Mar 31st, 2005, 11:25 PM
UsedToBeWindows - VNC does work, but I've found it much slower the using Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection which is available for free.

Hank
Mar 31st, 2005, 11:38 PM
Boy, I sure misread question #1. Dropped the 'why' and my answer would work. Chealion is correct in his guidance.

KardnalForgotHisPassword
Apr 1st, 2005, 12:42 AM
Ditch Microsoft's MSN messenger, and check out AdiumX. (www.adiumx.com)

It has way more feautres, and a much nicer UI. It's also really customisable, and easier on the system resources. I don't know anyone who's gone back to MS's MSN client after using Adium.

powerbooker
Apr 1st, 2005, 08:51 AM
if you send a file or receive a file from someone, you can't see the progress of the transfer like you can in msn...

does anyone know of any plug-ins that can solve this issue?