: Slow news day I guess

mrjimmy
Mar 25th, 2005, 10:46 AM
So much for responsible journalism! I would expect this kind of headline from The Toronto Sun perhaps but the Star? Better yet, I would expect it from a non-local news source. WTF Toronto Star? I know Good Friday might be a slow news day but...

Article (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1111704611031&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes)

Hasn't Tdot had enough of this SARS bull$&!t? This headline implies that SARS still exists. Or that it is lying in wait somewhere in Toronto ready to pounce yet again. It was a random occurance. It is not hiding in the prep area of some restaurant downtown. Does the public really need to know this? Will people read the article or just the headline. Hey - SARS is spread through the air in Toronto - pass it along.

Sheesh :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

trump
Mar 25th, 2005, 10:55 AM
I gave up on the Star about a year ago after being a reader for about 5 years. Why? Well remember when the accused the Metro police of racial profiling? Well, that kinda irked me because of the huge lack of proof...but then, a few months later, they ran a front page article accusing the Toronto Blue Jays of racial profiling because they had the second fewest minority players in the league. That paper is soley around to stir up **** in this great city. Go Globe.

used to be jwoodget
Mar 25th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Fear sells papers. Sex sells papers. I'm surprised the Star hasn't done a study to show that SARS can be transmitted by kissing.... or reported that a scientist using an electron microscope has caught an avian flu virus copulating a SARS virus.

I also don't know why the newspapers have to detail reports of subscription numbers or which of their reporters have been nominated for prizes. Why do you, having bought the paper, need to know this? Isn't this self-advertising? Stick it in the personals section.....

Eukaryotic
Mar 25th, 2005, 02:24 PM
The Star has steadily deteriorated. My moment of realization with the Star was right after the Cecelia Zhang tragedy. Two or three days after she had been kidnapped, an article appeared on the front page by Rosie Dimanno (sp.?) saying something like 'because she had been missing for more than 48 hours the likelihood of her being found alive was 20%' or something, and the 'likelihood of her being murdered was some other percentage' (don't remember what it was though). Unfortunately, it did turn out to be true, but the way it was written it was clearly designed to create speculation that she had been kidnapped and murdered before any facts were ever released about the case to the public. I thought it was pretty tactless, but I guess that was her intent.