: Current Mac Woes and Tribulations Part I

iLabmAn
Aug 9th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Hey.

After spending some time in the ehMac and Apple Forums, I have found the following:

1. The TiBook is plagued with problems from weak hinge design, to waking from sleep issues to an easily damaged case design

2. Many eMac users face machines with faulty CRTs, loud fan noise, ergonomic issues, bad internals (in fact a Mac seller in London warned me about the eMac just yesterday!).

3. The iBook is plagued with hinge issues (creaking, stickiness), case design (i.e. easily scratched and damaged) and easily "fry-able" internals making this machine a pain to work on.

...the list goes on.

And yet the Mac family remains faithful to their machines...posting message after message outlining their troubles etc.

I'm sure the Pee-Cee world is as "wonderful" (insert sarcasm here), but I feel that Apple is a ways off from producing excellent equipment. I firmly believe that they need to do a better job listening to their consumers and producing better, more durable gear...

...like the days that pre-date the G3. Heck even the original series of iMac were better than their newer brethren in terms of the issues noted above.

Some may disagree with me, and to that I look forward to your rebuttals, but for now I will remain a slightly disgruntled Mac User.

Oh. I managed to revive a PowerMac 8100/110 last night. Used Comet cleaner to clean the case and installed a hard drive and system in less than an hour. The machine looks brand new.

And scratch free.

Sander
Aug 9th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Hello,

I have an eMac and two iBooks and I have absolutely no problems. One often only hears about the problems some Mac users are having because those who don't, are out there enjoying their machine.

This of course doesn't mean that problems are non existent with Macs but I believe the relative problems percentage is much lower than one might think from reading forums.

Cheers.

Script Kiddie
Aug 9th, 2003, 09:16 AM
May 29, 2003 - 17:23 EDT** In a recent Consumer Reports survey, Apple was rated as the most reliable and as having the best technical support among PC makers. Apple captured the highest rating (76/100) for technical support based on 7,400 responses from subscribers of the publication. Apple also did the best in terms of the number of repairs that were needed on systems during the past five years, according to more than 39,000 responses.

www.macminute.com/2003/05/29/consumerreports (http://www.macminute.com/2003/05/29/consumerreports)

sniper
Aug 9th, 2003, 09:28 AM
there are flaws, as with every product that is mass produced, and if you fear these flaws, that's your hang up and that's fine. i'm not going to try to convince you that every mac is perfect.

however, when you say I firmly believe that they need to do a better job listening to their consumers i have to believe that you're extremely mislead. mac users are one of the most loyal customer bases in the world, but they're also one of the most demanding and whiniest. i've found apple to be extremely accepting of consumer input. just look at the "wind tunnel" powermac issue.

RicktheChemist
Aug 9th, 2003, 09:52 AM
There are flaws in anything.. I second that...

RtC

JohnnyG4
Aug 9th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Building a hardware product for consumers is a lot of work. Not only do you have to get the thing to market on time, but you have to be able to handle failures.

I'm not saying that it doesn't hurt when you turn on your Mac (or your DVD player, or toaster) and it doesn't turn on, but from the big picture point of view, the company needs the data from the failure to implement a replacement policy (for example).

Let's look at a couple of examples. First the wind tunnel noise issue. It's reported that the computer is loud. OK, well, first that's subjective. How loud is loud. Is it so loud that it's a health issue? If it's a health issue, then that's an extreme case. But it wasn't a health issue, so what to do to keep the customer happy.

First came the firmware patch. Some reports were that it worked, others no. But then again 'loud' is subjective.

To replace the power supplies because of the fans, well, the company that made the power supplies had to agree that they had a bad batch of fans and agree to replace them - that means lawyers. Contracts. Ramping up manufacturing to produce the extra power supplies for replacement. Then how many do we need? Will everyone be entitled to one? Only a range of serial numbers? When Apple gets a power supply back, what happens to it? Into the landfill site? Can anything be recycled? All of these have to be taken into consideration and it takes time to work out all the details.

Consider the Powerbook G3 power supply replacement. That was a health issue, so an immediate action had to be taken. And you know what the fault was - a bad batch of resistors.

And the hinges, that's a toughie, because it can be argued that opening and closing the lid is day to day use, not a manufacturing flaw. Wether or not that's right or wrong is irrelevant, but in a lawyer's hands...

I hope that I've added a bit of what happens on the other side of a service issue. There's a whole heck of a lot that happens when you bring your computer/DVD player/toaster in for service.

John

Ohenri
Aug 9th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Oh well... The Red WIngs got swept in the 1st round, Deep Blue lost, The Space Shuttle exploded - again. Nothing is perfect. I sure hope you don't own a car.

H!

george..
Aug 9th, 2003, 06:06 PM
"1. The TiBook is plagued with problems from weak hinge design, to waking from sleep issues to an easily damaged case design."

I've had my TiBook 867 since March '03. No problems here. It's solid.

MacDoc
Aug 9th, 2003, 07:30 PM
George K - yours is a bit better having been a later generation but there is good reason Apple switched to Aluminum.

Like any company Apple has had great products and few downright awful ....the 5300 PB comes to mind in the category...."c'mon baby light my fire"

Wallstreets I was marginal but the second gen was great.

Pismo's still rank as a terrific product.

The MDD was possibly the worst tower ever altho a REV A G3 gives it a good run.

The Quadra 650 and IICi were legends while the orginal 8100 and Vi & VX were nightmares.

Like many manufacturers Apple usually gets it right after a couple of renditions First gen can be scary.

G5 anyone :rolleyes: :D

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)