: VOIP on the cheap! maybe

vectra
Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:16 AM
I have been doing some research on VOIP using the Mac....has anyone used Asterisk-asterisk.org (PBX software-GNU licence) on a Mac, hooked it up to an analog phone via some type of interface and got the system up and working....able to dial out and receive calls? It looks very interesting but I am not well versed in telephony so it may be too complicated for a non-tech. I am aware of Skype which is very good but by using Asterisk on your own server it looks like you can create your own mini telephone company.

idextrus
Mar 23rd, 2005, 03:09 PM
I have been looking at Asterisk for a software project that I am working on. It looks pretty cool, but I haven't actually got into it yet. I'll let you know what I find out if you could do the same.

Cheers,

Chris

nxnw
Mar 23rd, 2005, 03:47 PM
If anyone knows of a consultant who can set up an asterisk system, I'd be interested. From what I have figured out so far, it works with digital handsets (IP phones) and one can also get an interface for nortel meridian phones as well.

vectra
Mar 23rd, 2005, 04:26 PM
From what I can gather it is a software based telephone system that provides all of the services that you pay big dollars for to the telcos and more. It would inter connect with the right hardware with an analog phone or you can use a IP phone. You can go wireless to connect throughout your establishment. The only problem I can see is how do you get to the analog world (telephone somebody who is on the old analog system) and how do they call you without a telephone number. And I guess my goal would be to avoid Vontage or the like where you are still paying $20 or $30 per month. The key is the access point-whatever that is.

jeannot
Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:26 PM
Try "Skype".. I Use it with my son who travels a bit and it works great.
http://www.skype.com/
Its free.. And it wroks great.. :-)

jeannot
Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:28 PM
Try "Skype".. I Use it with my son who travels a bit and it works great.
http://www.skype.com/
Its free.. And it wroks great.. :-)

It "w"rocks too... he he he