: Partition or not for external drive?

Lawrence
Mar 20th, 2005, 04:10 PM
I just bought a Maxtor 200 gb/8 mb cache hard drive and put it into an external case,
I'll be using the drive to make my multimedia projects on instead of using my main drive.
Should I leave the drive as one large partition or should I split it into two parts?

Heart
Mar 20th, 2005, 04:38 PM
In OS 9 days this was a common practice to partition.

But I have found that partitions are more of a hastle when I find I have made them to small.

I kept my Lacie 250GB as just one partition. No splitting.

Lawrence
Mar 20th, 2005, 09:48 PM
I'll try it with the one partition then, Thanks Heart.

:)

dru
Mar 20th, 2005, 10:37 PM
just keep in mind that if your external comes unplugged, or there is a powerfalure when you are writing to the drive, then you could lose everything on it. I have always been told that you should partition your external drives so that if there is a crash, you don't lose everything.... just part of your drive.... but maybe I'm wrong

Vexel
Mar 20th, 2005, 10:57 PM
I've been using my 80 gig LaCiE for 4 years now.. Partitioned many ways.. 1 partition is for music.. which is 30 gigs, and the rest is for storage. I've been using it while the power went off.. and nothing happened. Maybe using a surge protector helps, not sure.. but It's never been erased on me. I think really.. what you want to take a look at... is what are you going to use the drive for? Do you like being organized in different sections? or Would you be happy just with 1 Partition? I particularily like 2 partitions.. it's easy to keep organized, helps remember where you put certain things too. Anyway, hope this helps :)

thejst
Mar 21st, 2005, 11:00 AM
I have a 60 gig external f/w drive that has 2 partitions- one for an archive of my music production, one for works in progress- I have found it easier to have it this way, as defragging the partition that gets the most action (the works in progress) is much faster than having to do the whole drive.
James

Lawrence
Mar 21st, 2005, 11:36 AM
I've got 3 hard drives in my Sawtooth and one 200 gb hard drive in a Firewire case,
The 3 drives in my Sawtooth are being used for OS 9.2.2 and OSX 10.3.8
(One is for backups and two are Primary drives)

The external drive is to be used for iMovie and iDVD production work only and
will most likely not be a pernament home for anything, I'll most likely be erasing
the stuff on it on a regular basis after it's all been burned to DVD's.

I just wasn't sure whether it was important or not to partition the external drive.

:)

thejst
Mar 21st, 2005, 11:41 AM
given your setup, you won't need to partition, then.
James