: ipods now available at futureshop stores!

dycs mxims
Aug 6th, 2003, 01:30 PM
just my luck, on my day off, the ipods finally arrived at work.

apparently, we have the 10, 15 and the 30 gigger ipods available in-store, and not just at the web store.

just a heads up! smile.gif

RubberGorilla
Aug 6th, 2003, 02:06 PM
A Mac guy working at a FutureShop. How does that work? ;)

The Doug
Aug 6th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Too bad Safari still doesn't work with the Futureshop website (or is it the other way around?)...

Argimou
Aug 6th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Furtureshop??? I dropped by the Halifax Furtureshop yesterday (looking at lcds) & casually asked the salesperson about the Imac. His reply: "You don't want an Imac; nobody wants Macs---we hardly sell any at all"! Now that is what I call salesmanship. If Furureshop wishes to sell any Macs (or if Apple wants to really expand their retail sales through that outlet) someone had better change the sales procedure AND attitudes of the kids that they hire.

RubberGorilla
Aug 6th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Well there was rumours that Apple was going to train salespeople to work in Future Shop locations. They did that at CompUSA locations in the States and are doing pilot program at select Best Buy locations in the US right now.

Remember, Best Buy now owns Future Shop. Hopefully this means that Future Shop will have Apple employees on staff to sell Apple product, instead of people who do not appreciate what a Mac can do.

Lawrence
Aug 6th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Isn't Best Buy owned by F.S.?
Or is it the other way around?
Wished to heck Best Buy would get a .ca web site.
(Walmart too, I want a .ca Walmart)

Rant

Dave :cool:

MaxPower
Aug 6th, 2003, 03:56 PM
The other way around (I think). Best Buy bought Futureshop.

RicktheChemist
Aug 6th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Who in the hell goes to Futureshop to buy a Mac? Honestly...

If you want to buy a Mac and get some information about the machines.. drop in on a local reseller. Information is free you know.. and usually we don't mind talking over things with you instead of just the "you wanna buy huh?"

Futureshop can stick with PCs.. well.. if you want to call them that...

Cheers,

RtC

RubberGorilla
Aug 6th, 2003, 04:40 PM
I think that having Apple employees working at Future Shop can oly be positive. If Future Shop was just going to carry Macs that's one thing, but if it will be Apple reps selling Macs in Future Shop that's a different story.

Personally I would rather buy from a reseller, but if I was a guy who bought his last 3 PC's from Future Shop and I wanted to buy a Mac I'd probably buy from a place I knew already (and maybe even have a credit card for).

I'll say again, if it's Apple employees who are trained by Apple who are selling in Future Shop I can only see that as a positive. Even if just to inform people who have Apple machines in the back of their mind.

Much better than "Oh, you don't want a Mac".

dycs mxims
Aug 6th, 2003, 04:41 PM
every time i bring up the fact that i work for futureshop, we get blasted!

...anyways, the particular store i work at sell the most macs in the region. i put out 3 macs in july, and i work at the cellphone department.

we do sell more pc's, but we sell out of all the macs that we get.

4 out of 6 people in my department own macs. our computer department sales manager is hardcore into macs. we have a ex-certified apple technician working in our home theatre department.

i can't speak for the other stores in canada, but not all futureshops are the same. we've much, MUCH better than all the others.

futureshop IS an apple authorized dealer. we just need to educate the majority of our salespeople, though.

MacGenius
Aug 6th, 2003, 05:00 PM
MaxPower is correct, Best Buy Bought FutureShop last year.

The new FutureShop just opened in Bratford today. I just went in to have a look-see. 1 eMac and 1 17" iMac on display. Nothing else Mac-related, no iPods either. Dismal as usual.

Doesn't bother me, Macs need to be sold differently than PCs anyway so specialty stores can sell the Macs much better (VARs too! smile.gif

james_squared
Aug 6th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Hello,

All the Futureshops I have gone into don't even have their Macs doing something. Often times, they are even turned off. I usually get the Mac playing iTunes, if there are any music files on the computer. Or, I might turn on Ottomatic or chess, or something. If there's a DVD in the drive, I'll get it playing in the corner and have iCal and Works up on the screen all at once. All the PCs are usually doing something, however. Maybe some of the Futureshop employees can't even turn on a Mac?

At least at all of the London Drugs stores I've been into the Macs are up and running.

A good salesperson should know the positives and negatives of purchasing a certain product rather than simply telling someone they don't want one. Or, that was my understanding when I was in sales.

James

RubberGorilla
Aug 6th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Besides, indie Mac dealers don't always give the best service anyway. I remember in 1999 after I spent almost $4500 on a G4 system I went back to that dealer a few weeks later and asked to look at a DVD-RAM drive. The salesperson (who wasn't the same guy who sold me my G4) replied, and I quote "oh, you won't be buying THAT. It's $1200".

He was right, and I never bought from that dealer again.

Mind you I haven't had problems that bad since.

Chealion
Aug 6th, 2003, 06:29 PM
FS has a horrible rep, but the good news is that their is a wonderful exception at daycus maximus's store. As for the FS stores I've been to in Calgary, well um... suck (to put it lightly). I hate shopping there, I much rather open up IE and buy from their web store if I can't get it from London Drugs.

RubberGorilla
Aug 6th, 2003, 06:31 PM
I love that, a drug superstore that sells Macs.

Because let's face it, that's exacly what Macs are. A drug, and I need a G5 fix!

retrocactus
Aug 6th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Speaking of London Drugs, I just noticed today that their site has had an overhaul and now has a pretty complete catalog of what they carry. You can't buy online but it might be useful to check their prices.

They even have a Mac section online!

www.londondrugs.com (http://www.londondrugs.com)

james_squared
Aug 6th, 2003, 09:31 PM
Hello,

Thanks for the update on the London Drugs site!

James

jmac
Aug 6th, 2003, 09:51 PM
I don't get it ... London Drugs, but no stores east of Saskatchewan????? Great store. I visited the stores in downtown Van and was jealous that they weren't available in good old SARSville.

Ohenri
Aug 6th, 2003, 10:17 PM
I would not recommend getting the Mac @ FS - esp since most of the cats will be indifferent about the sale - so likely will work on getting you a PC - and they won't want to spend the time selling you the Mac like they need to. I do frequent FS simply because I mostly know what I want to get and they may have a decent price - only some peripherals are bought @ FS. Nothing that they can TRY to pull wool over the eyes with - expect Daycus of course. :D

jtmac
Aug 7th, 2003, 09:01 AM
FWIW, I was really surprised by the complete lack of Mac knowledge at my local FS, Laird in T.O.

They have iMacs, eMacs and iBooks on display, but don't have any Airport cards. They tried to convince me that you could use a Dlink or Linksys.

Anyways, at present, I would not recommend FS for Apple products until they educate themselves a bit better.

Support your local Mac dealer!

Britnell
Aug 7th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Best Buy owns FS. Best Buy Canada is NOT mac friendly from my experience.

The last 2 FS that I have been in ( including August 6) had no Mac computers, or software, or anything else Mac.

Wanna buy a crappy E-machine? Fine.

Wanna buy a Mac? Not possible.

FWIW, I worked as an instore Apple Rep in a number of FS in the GTA. FS managers were very polite and helpful. The FS commissioned sales staff were anti-mac, not enough $$ for them.

dycs mxims
Aug 7th, 2003, 10:30 PM
everyone here in the area should visit my futureshop, on upper james street in hamilton, behind the boston pizza, across from the fortinos supermarket.

i think your views will change. i can almost guarantee it.

murbot
Aug 8th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Well, they do have 15 day return policy on all computers and peripherals... I just returned a Samsung 19" LCD that was a little dull looking and wobbled when I typed. No questions, they didn't even look in the box.

Of course, I hate everything else about them... but being able to return something is nice (dead pixels, anyone)? ;)