: Downloading TV legal or illegal?

gruegoo
Mar 9th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I've been reading alot in other forums about how Rogers is capping their bandwidth. People use the argument that they're downloading legal tv shows and movies. My question is... is it REALLY legal?

For example:

1. CBC is free to air (i think), i.e. I can get it without paying for cable or satellite. If I download a show that was played on CBC, isn't that the same thing? Yes they play ads during the shows and downloaded tv doesn't have them, but realistically, I don't watch the ads... I'd change the channel or make myself a sandwich.

2. A large number of shows that are on Asian tv aren't available in Canada and never will be. SOME channels and shows are available through satellite but much of it isn't. Is it illegal if I download it? I'm guessing this is a grey area?

3. Backup copies of movies... What if I paid for a movie on DVD but it stopped working for whatever reason, i.e it was scratched, whatever. Sounds lame but COULD be true. Since I'm legally allowed to make a backup copy, is it legal if I download a backup copy instead of making it myself? Same goes with music...

I'm not really an expert in copyright law, but I was really curious about those.

MACSPECTRUM
Mar 9th, 2005, 11:39 PM
i think u can download for your own personal use
i.e. not to redistribute to your buddies or burn cd's, share on kazza or other servers