: eMac 1 GHz

monokitty
Aug 1st, 2003, 03:20 PM
Being so affordable, what are your thoughts of the eMac? 1 GHz seems pretty quick to me, the only thing that bothers me is its lack of 64 MB of VRAM (it has 32 MB DDR, but ona nice 4X-AGP bus). Thoughts of this eMac? It's $1,295 CDN with Education. Combo (CD-RW/DVD), 60 GB HD, 4X-AGP, 133 MHz system bus.

buck
Aug 1st, 2003, 03:26 PM
I've got the 700 combo drive model... and i paid more for it 7 months ago. I love it. No problems at all. :D

monokitty
Aug 1st, 2003, 03:58 PM
I am assuming Mac OS X under there is nice and swift? Quartz Extreme, too. smile.gif I wonder how well it performs when it comes to gaming - 32 MB of graphics memory isn't a lot nowadays, but a processor running at 1 GHz probably makes up for it. ;)

Script Kiddie
Aug 1st, 2003, 04:14 PM
We have had our eMac/700 since November 2002 and it has become a dear member of our family -- however it is LOUD. For a quiet freak like myself it is a pinch.
Consider that for $300 more you could get the
PowerMac G4 1.25
If I was buying today I'd go for that and get a nice 19" monitor for $200. OK thats adding up but its going to last better. Oh while we are on the upsell, for $450 extra you can get the DUAL 1.25 tongue.gif

monokitty
Aug 1st, 2003, 04:20 PM
I wasn't intending on getting one, but I do like the eMac "all-in-one" casing with built-in monitor - unlike towers. Takes up so much littler space. $500 more is a significant increase.

jtmac
Aug 1st, 2003, 04:41 PM
For me, the biggest disadvantage of the eMac is its display. Not that the eMac is terrible, but it's really evident when you see a new eMac and a new iMac side by side.
For me, the extra cost of the iMac is worth it.

james_squared
Aug 1st, 2003, 05:44 PM
Hello,

My wife has the 1GHz eMac and she likes it quite a bit. We don't find it noisy at all. Perhaps the older ones were noisier; I'm not sure. She has the superdrive machine, which doesn't boot into OS9. She has no need for OS9, anyway.

James

CubaMark
Aug 1st, 2003, 09:21 PM
The artists' video centre where I occasionally teach picked up two 1-Ghz eMac systems with SuperDrives today.
One was DOA. Power light came on, but no video. Fan turned on. No caps-lock key light when pressed.

The other was fine (thankfully, it's the one with extra RAM and the WiFi card installed. Guess they didn't open the other one to check it).

They seem pretty quiet, though our office is not the quietest of spaces smile.gif ...the screen is very nice, bright, sharp, etc. The DVD drive door is rather large for the tray that has to exit... a whopping big mouth! :D

They are fairly attractive machines, and fit our décor well...

What else can ya say about it? It's a Mac!

We spent just a little time playing around with iDVD (the first machine we've had that included it) and everyone was going goo-goo over the built-in themes, which are pretty cool and definitely attractive to the home user. We'll install iDVDpro on Tuesday and give it a run-through.

M.

monokitty
Aug 1st, 2003, 10:47 PM
Who would say the eMac is worthy investment, if you're not too obbessed with upgrading?

minnes
Aug 1st, 2003, 11:15 PM
Lars
If you need compact then go for either the emac or ibook, else, you are better off with a 1.25 powermac,
You strike as the type who may want to upgrade after a while, I know that's how I would feel.

Ohenri
Aug 2nd, 2003, 02:32 PM
the eMacs seem to have found that stable ground. For a minute, things were not looking too good, for something that may have become that unit that would take Apple places - but I personally think that the issues marring the unit set it back. Heck, I was on the list for one BEFORE they even anounced that they were no longer EDU only units. But the this newest snag (that CubaM mentioned), whoa... Anyhow, not sure that I still want one. HOWEVER, I love the specs! :D

VertiGoGo
Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:06 AM
I have an 800MHz eMac that my partner and picked up a year ago. It has the Superdrive too. It is a wonderful machine and I may even buy another one.

The screen is crisp and beautiful and we have had no problems with it at all.

Also, we paid more for this one a year ago than what you can pick up the "Ultimate" eMac for today. Do not hesitate. It is a solid machine! :D graemlins/heybaby.gif

And for the price, you can't go wrong! graemlins/greedy.gif

MasterBlaster
Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:49 AM
a