: New duallie advice?

SkyHook
Feb 24th, 2005, 02:56 AM

RJaMmin
Feb 24th, 2005, 10:33 AM
If you think your friend might want bluetooth, he'd have to order it with the computer, as it's not user installable. Unless he wants to use the dongle, which I personally dislike as it uses a USB port.

Kosh
Feb 24th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I'd have to agree the first things I'd think of are RAM.

How about an iPod? iPod Shuffle? New mouse? New digital camera? Upgrade the video card to a Radeon X800XT or Geforce 6800GT? Surround Sound Speakers with a digital optical input? An EyeTV 500 to watch TV on the Mac?

Okay, I'm starting to run out of ideas.

elmer
Feb 24th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Not sure if any of these fall into the right category ... but Apple purists are often creative, so here's some geeky but not so strange accessories:

Wacom Cintiq 21UX (http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index_21UX.cfm) 21.3" UXGA touch screen with 1024 pressure levels and a cushioned grip pen on a dynamically adjustable stand. $3000 USD list price.

A premium keyboard (tactilepro?) (http://matias.ca/tactilepro/index.php?refID=5)

RAIDed 10,000 rpm hard drives

Maybe some cool music recording stuff if he plays

Get one that dual-boots OS X and YellowDog 64-bit Linux, from TerraSoft.

Film scanner and medium format film camera

Gaming stuff

Airport Express

A PowerBook - the nicest accessory of all. Maybe with Remote Apple Desktop installed so he can access the G5.

Automatic Firewire or Network backup

Anyway that's what I'd get if I won the lottery.

gmark2000
Feb 24th, 2005, 11:21 AM
For the top 2.5Ghz model, when BTO from Apple:
Don't buy Apple ram upgrades - you can buy cheaper yourself and you have six other memory banks to fill.
Downgrade the Superdrive to combo - the $114 you save can buy the newest 16x dual layer DVD±R/RW optical drive and not be stuck with an 8x DVD-R/RW only. Sell-off or repurpose the combo drive later when upgrading.
Keep the 128mb ATI card - should you want to buy the 256mb, you can go to ATI's web store and buy it (promo code "1010" gives you 10% off), then you can sell your 128 card to the many nVidea 64mb owners to recoup cost and save plenty from Apple's upgrade price.
Buy the ADC to DVI cable - makes it truly dual display capable right away.

The other peripherals are simply added. SCSI, PCI, addl Firewire and USB 2.0 PCI are third party cards that aren't Apple ordering options and you have to source these yourself. Go to this page for G5 Powermac FAQ: http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/action.lasso?-response=list.faq.lasso&-database=faq.fp3&-layout=FaqList&Faq_Category=Apple%20G5%20Systems&-sortfield=DateSubmitted&-Sortorder=descending&-maxrecords=100&okaytopost=yes&-search

SkyHook
Feb 24th, 2005, 04:54 PM

RJaMmin
Feb 25th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Bluetooth
Never thought about tieing up a connector. Are you implying that USB Bluetooth doesn't work through a hub?

Never tested it personally. I have noticed that my flash drive wont work when connected to the keyboard USB ports (not enough power), but as it is my hub is full there would be no place for it anyway without another hub.
But the point is if your buying new it's an option to consider. I don't believe there's a great price difference (tho' moneys no object :)) between the internal & dongle. It's simply out of the way.

gmark2000
Feb 25th, 2005, 12:40 AM
If it's only about money, it's not really part of the conversation, but I appreciate the sentiment if you can save hundreds just by getting a part NOT from Apple.
Take my purchase advice FWIW. Sounds like money is no object but don't get ripped-off.

Video
Didn't realize the cards had one connector each of ADC and DVI. So you're saying get an ADC adapter (VGA or DVI) in advance if you want to dual display out of the box, because otherwise the ADC connector is wasted without an old Apple monitor? I interpret the specs as Apple includes a DVI to VGA adapter with the tower. Of course, not an ADC adapter that you really wish for?
You are correct. ADC is still there despite there not being any current monitors supporting it. DVI is the new digital standard and is on most new monitors (i.e. not the cheapie monitors).

Bluetooth
Never thought about tieing up a connector. Are you implying that USB Bluetooth doesn't work through a hub?
As mentioned, the Bluetooth USB dongles are sometimes finicky through hubs, especially unpowered ones.

RAM
I thought Mac OS couldn't address over 4GB, so what's all this 64 bit/8GB RAM crap on the Apple web site? Are they just bragging about Tiger before it ships?
Don't know about this limit. AFAIK, if you feed it 8Gb it'll use the 8Gb. Nevertheless, Apple's RAM pricing for 8Gb is as much as the Powermac = out of line. No one in their right mind should buy Apple's ram upgrades.

Downgrade optical drive
Hmmm… build cheap and dump so you can buy better. I suppose he could even put it in another computer but I don't think anything in the office is serial ATA. I was unable to determine the Superdrive data interface from the web site
The optical drive is normal ultra ATA/100 not SATA. This is a zero sum equation. As stated the money saved by downgrading can buy an OEM Pioneer DVR-109 DVD±R/RW. Much better than a crippled Sony/Lite-On DVD-R/RW.

USB 2.0
Is there a special reason I'd want a USB2 PCI card when it's supposed to be built-in? I found that an odd addition to the list, with three connectors to pick from, unless you were just generalizing about running out of connectors.
I was mostly generalizing, but running a USB2 board is always better than using a hub.

BTW, there is a buzz about a speedbump coming for the Powermac line due to shipment delays in the channel. So he should wait a couple weeks if he can.

IronMac
Feb 25th, 2005, 07:46 AM
gmark has some good advice and it shows that it's good to ask here first before buying...even if you are sitting on bundles of cash! :)

SkyHook
Feb 26th, 2005, 12:16 AM

TroutMaskReplica
Feb 26th, 2005, 01:19 AM
If he wanted 8GB, at Apple prices I'd tell him to pay me then I'll find RAM and keep the difference.

that's what i was thinking. tell your friend to give me the money instead. i could probably pay my rent with the difference.

gmark2000
Feb 26th, 2005, 01:43 AM
You are welcome...