: Motion and external drive

enaj
Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:10 PM
This might be a dumb question but...
Can I install Motion on an external hard drive and run off it or do I have to put it on my mac and then just save everything to my external?
Anyone using Motion - like it? Not?
Also anyone know any good external drives/prices out there?
Thanks
:D

ArtistSeries
Feb 23rd, 2005, 01:58 PM
This might be a dumb question but...
Can I install Motion on an external hard drive and run off it or do I have to put it on my mac and then just save everything to my external?
Anyone using Motion - like it? Not?
Also anyone know any good external drives/prices out there?
Thanks
:D

Motion will want to be installed on your system disk.

Motion is a good program - not quite AE yet - and will certainly improve with a new version.

Like it or not? The review on MacAddict is pretty acurate.
http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0411/rev.motion.html:
"It makes motion-graphics creation easier and more accessible to folks who aren't pros, or to video editors, producers, and DVD authors who want to step up the production values of their projects without encountering After Effects' steep learning curve and hefty price of $699 to $999, depending on what options they choose.

Unfortunately, Motion's real-time mojo only works as advertised on some very beefy hardware. Apple recommends—and this isn't a misprint—a Dual 2GHz G5 with at least 2GB of RAM and an ATI 9800 graphics card. The graphics card is especially important because its GPU handles a lot of Motion's real-time visual math.

Sadly, this means you can't even launch Motion on many iMacs, any eMacs or iBooks, and only the last generation or two of PowerBooks. Even with a hefty graphics card, using anything less than a Dual G5 (we tried a Dual 1.25GHz G4) can noticeably limit your real-time performance to a few effects on a few layers."