: Smart brand launches in Canada!!!

Lawrence
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:03 PM
http://autonet.ca/AutonetStories/Stories.cfm?StoryID=13024

Now you'll be able to get into those really small parking spaces.

Dave :cool:

Loafer
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:24 PM
finally!

I have been waiting for these for 3 years.
I would get one in a second if I had the money....makes so much more sense than driving to work in a freakin' SUV (I don't, by the way....and I think a lot more people shouldn't either

GratuitousApplesauce
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:38 PM
At $16,500, I think that they will be selling 'em as fast as they can possibly haul 'em over here. Especially once the price of gas starts moving ever higher.

IronMac
Sep 30th, 2004, 06:28 PM
It's dinnertime so I won't regale you guys with my extremely POOR experience at the Mercedes dealership last week over the smart car.

Lawrence
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:00 PM
More on the subject from The Ottawa Citizen (http://autos.canada.com/national/researching/RoadTests.aspx?year=2553)

Gas mileage? Amazing. The Smart sips only 3.5 litres
of diesel fuel for every 100 kilometres, or about 60 miles to the
old gallon. Woa...Now that is amazing mileage.

Dave :cool:

Moscool
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:01 PM
A Montreal pothole (a.k.a dégel special) will swallow a Smart without a trace! :D

The Doug
Oct 21st, 2004, 07:56 PM
To my surprise I saw a Smart here in the Lower Laurentiens on Tuesday evening. My thoughts as I observed it, in order:

1) Wow that's cute. Neato!

2) Makes a cute neato little putt-putt sound, kinda.

3) Uh, I'd hate to be in a crash in one.

GratuitousApplesauce
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:08 PM
I have yet to see one, but I think that the intuitive response would be to think it would be flattened in a crash. Not so, according to everything I've read about them, it seems like the makers have designed a unique passenger cell, because of the lack of the standard crumple zones.

From the Ottawa Citizen story linked above: Which brings us to the subject of safety. Even though vehicles have downsized over the years, a collision with a full-sized SUV would suggest particular peril for the tiny Smart's occupants. Perhaps surprisingly, the Smart has excelled in crash tests (both in-house and independent).

Tests have included a frontal crash at 65 km/h against a deformable barrier, rear-end crash at 55 km/h, side crash at 50 km/h and car-to-car crashes (head-on and offset) between the Smart and an upper standard-size car (Mercedes-Benz E-Class and S-Class). According to the Mercedes Car Group, in more than 50 crash tests, the Smart provided greater occupant safety than in other small cars.I'd buy one in a second, if I could afford to have a second vehicle.

Dr.G.
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:09 PM
Moscool, we have 6 of these cars for sale in St.John's, and OUR potholes are big enough to swallow Montreal's Olympic Stadium. In fact, in one of the potholes, someone set up an underground pub, complete with a bar and a dance floor. Sadly, someone stole his disco ball.

Rob
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:38 PM
We had a discussion about this at work the other day. The consensus was that the vehicle makes sense if it cost $8,000 to $9,000, but at over $16,000 there are many other vehicles that provide better value and functionality. A Toyota Echo hatchback comes to mind.

In the city it's too small to carry anything larger than a few groceries. It hardly has much advantage over public transit in that respect. In fact, you'd probably be better off using your $16,500 to pay for public transit and the occasional cab ride. Don't forget, no matter how small the car, parking is still the same outrageous price.

In rural areas it doesn't seem suited to the longer highway trips. Again, the limited carrying space is a huge disadvantage, and you don't always have the option of catching a cab.

monokitty
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:46 PM
We had a discussion about this at work the other day. The consensus was that the vehicle makes sense if it cost $8,000 to $9,000, but at over $16,000 there are many other vehicles that provide better value and functionality.Yes, but no one would buy a SMART for value and functionality - it's the "cool factor" that counts here. :D

GratuitousApplesauce
Oct 21st, 2004, 09:05 PM
I'd never buy one new, because I like to let others buy new cars and absorb all that depreciation for the privilege of that new car smell. :D So maybe I could get one for 8 or 9 thousand.

If I could get one, I would leave it in the city for my trips around town, or leave it on my island here, for travelling around on island. In my mind it would be similar in utility to having a scooter or motorcycle, but somewhat more comfortable and safer.

I still need a larger vehicle for hauling stuff to and from the city. When I'm in Vancouver it generally remains parked until it's time to come home again.

And the cool factor can't be underestimated. I am a Mac owner, after all. :D

SINC
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:28 PM
Uh, I'd hate to be in a crash in one.
I know I read somewhere that their crash test rating was much better than many domestic cars Doug.

This from one report I Googled:

"The car will be built with Mercedes technology, known for its safety innovations. Every car will have stability and traction control, ABS and BrakeAssist. They will also have front and side airbags and a protective seating system. But the core of the car's safety is provided by the smart's "tridion safety cell," an extremely strong steel structure that prevents anything from intruding into the cabin. This safety cell is designed to work in conjunction with the seats, the seatbelts and the airbags."

Cheers

smile.gif

yardarm51
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:30 PM
They are great for parking in the city. No more friggin' around with parallel parking. Just pull in nose first next the meter and hop out. People here in Tokyo do that occasionally and the French folk I used to live with said that is one of the main reasons people in the big French cities buy them. Front to back they are only as long as many other cars are wide!

Personally I would rather have a 88-91 or 98-2002 model Honda Civic. More room and much-much better handling. Throw in a manual transition and it's all that and a bag of chips.

Loafer
Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:23 AM
Uh, I'd hate to be in a crash in one I'd rather crash in one of those than a pontiac sunfire any day

The Doug
Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:55 AM
Agreed - Sunfires are flimsy.

This (http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ratings.htm) website has good offset-frontal and side impact crash ratings. It will be interesting to see how they rate the Smart Car...

talonracer
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:32 PM
.. and OUR potholes are big enough to swallow Montreal's Olympic StadiumThat's not such a big feat - isn't the stadium collapsible!? graemlins/lmao.gif