: Need some tips for teaching my daughter how to ride a bike.

moonsocket
Aug 21st, 2004, 12:12 PM
Hi all,
I am a terrible teacher. Im trying to teach my l;ittle girl how to ride a bike. She's going to be 8 in a week and i think its about time she started riding her new bike. She mastered training wheels years ago but im having trouble with the no training wheels.
Any help would be great!!!
Chris

simon
Aug 21st, 2004, 03:31 PM
After getting three kids to ride bikes - two being girls - I'll give you this advice. Trust your kid, if she has mastered the training wheels, trust her (but protect her). Tell her that you are going to take the training wheels off the bike next week because you think she is ready to ride without them, just don't do it without telling them (for some reason it freaks them out).

When the training wheels are off have her practise (with or without Dad's help) on a quiet sidewalk, preferably with grass on either side and just trust them - let me tell you they learn fast. They will fall once or twice, pick them up brush them off and put them right back on the seat. She will quickly master this skill.

Have fun

Dr.G.
Aug 21st, 2004, 04:46 PM
I agree with Simon. The key also is to get her to go fairly fast (with you running behind) to give her a sense of motion and balance. My son would pedal slowly, and it was not until he went faster that he was actually riding his bike, rather than having me keep his balance as we crawled along. Actually, parking lots in federal or provincial buildings are good, in that they are empty on Sundays and have room to meander, rather than only go in a straight line.

MacDoc
Aug 21st, 2004, 05:01 PM
Yep I'll third it.
A bit of speed and about 20 feet of running along and it'll click real fast.
Most important is the you have the longest possible safe path for the initial ride as stopping is the hardest part.
Once she's up and riding she needs time and space to "settle in" without worrying about having to stop.

A long paved path in a park with no one around is ideal. Make sure the tires are hard as well.
I don't think you can "teach" riding in the sense of working out the balance just as it's hard to "teach" flying a plane.
The person has to get it into their universe in their own way.
You can only "teach" safe versions of the skill.

The body and mind do the skill set and it's quite remarkable how quickly. Falling being fun and "okay" I think takes the sting out of the tumbles and reduces the fear of falling.
Too much concern can send the wrong message.

Have fun - kids are tough.
I've taught adults to ride motorcycles the same way - a little trundle behind with lots of open space and away they go.

Keep us posted. :cool:

Brainstrained
Aug 21st, 2004, 06:05 PM
She'll learn on her own.

Run close to her to give her security. Be there to encourage her and hug her when she falls.

If you have a secondary school with a rubberized, all-season track, go there. Otherwise any flat, comparatively smooth area with little or no traffic is ideal.

Take a camera.

cdnbacon
Aug 21st, 2004, 06:25 PM
With my two kids we took them to the local baseball diamond, and let them practice in the sand before having them ride on the sidewalk.

Dr.G.
Aug 21st, 2004, 08:15 PM
Don't forget to get a helmet for her NOW!!! A cracked helmet can be replaced.........a cracked skull cannot.

vacuvox
Aug 24th, 2004, 02:57 AM
An effective way to teach bicycle balance is this:

remove the pedals

lower the seat so that she can easily reach the ground with both feet while seated.

Now she can propel herself around by hobby-walking, lifting both feet up whenever she feels like testing her balance. She will be able to quickly put her feet down to save herself without getting tangled in the pedals.

once balance and confidence has been gained, screw the pedals on a watch her go.

Moscool
Aug 24th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Spot on Vacuvox!

It also helps if there is a gentle slope at the start. If the pedals are difficult to remove, as them to ride with legs open (if actually helps the balance to a degree and to touch the pedals when they are ready.

MacNutt
Aug 24th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Make her wear a helmet, find a nice soft grassy place with lots of runout area, then get yourself the following items:

-A large roll of duct tape

-Some knee and elbow pads of the sort that skateboarders use.

-You will also need a six pack of very strong beer, and a cellphone.

Duct tape her to the bike securely. Use the whole roll, if necessary (she may freak, but ignore the screams). Install the knee and elbow pads on her hard points. Then send her on her wobbly way, and sit back and insulate youself to the inevitable results with liberal applications of the very strong beer to your gaping pie hole. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

The cellphone is to call someone more responsible than yourself to drive you and your offspring back to the lair once both of you have had your fill of the day's events. (drinking and driving is both dangerous and stupid, after all...and a shockingly bad example to set for your little princess.)

The rest of it will take care of itself...everything should all work out just fine in the end. ;) :cool:

And, if you drink all of the beer in a short enough time, you won't give a tinkers damn one way or another. No matter WHAT transpires.

Problem solved. :cool: tongue.gif :cool:

Kosh
Aug 24th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Okay. don't let Mr. "Red Green", above, near any kids!

MacNutt
Aug 25th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Not much chance of that. The little ones usually shriek and run away when they see my horribly scarred face. The single giant eyebrow seems to have some sort of negative effect on em, as well. As does the shambling gait and the fact that one of my arms is so long it kind of drags on the ground. Sorta.

I smile my crooked smile...but still they flee.

Maybe it's that giant roll of duct tape I carry under my arm. (The shorter one.) tongue.gif graemlins/heybaby.gif graemlins/lmao.gif

(( p g ))
Aug 25th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Maybe it's that giant roll of duct tape I carry under my arm. Duct tape: without it, a Dad is but a man. ;)

MacNutt
Aug 26th, 2004, 04:45 AM
A big roll of duct tape and a handy Leatherman tool are the fundamental things that seperate a modern urban warrior from a modern urban wimp.

Chicks know this. They respond to it. So do daughters and sons.

It's basic stuff. ;) graemlins/lmao.gif

[ August 26, 2004, 04:34 AM: Message edited by: macnutt ]