: @&%$&# Revenue Canada!!!!

kloan
Feb 19th, 2004, 02:03 AM
I filed using Netfile last week... I use ufile.ca to do my taxes. I was looking at my account online for netfile and it says my return has been issued, on the 20th?? But not only that, it's almost $200 less that what its SUPPOSED to be.. what's up with that?!

LGBaker
Feb 19th, 2004, 02:08 AM
Haven't you heard? There is a new tax called the Elect a Responsible Senate and Double Our Election Expense Tax. (ERS&DOEET) Everybody pays.

kloan
Feb 19th, 2004, 02:12 AM
hmm..

LGBaker
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:03 PM
kloan - I sympathize. I seem to have to pay beyond my monthly contributions every other year. Never have I received a refund equal to my calculations - always less. This has been going on now for nearly forty years. I wonder why I do it.

But the worst thing they subject me to is the annual notice of eligible RRSP contributions. This helpful document points out to me that I have an ever-increasing amount that I could shelter - IF I HAD ANY MONEY. Go ahead - rub it in, Revenue Canada - rub it in.

#@$%%%^$##@)(*&?"{FFFFFTTTTTTT****************PPPPOO

MacNutt
Feb 20th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Just imagine how much LESS tax you'd have had to pay, if the Federal Liberals hadn't stolen hundreds of millions of dollars from you for their own personal use. :mad:

Rest easy...your hard working Quebec Liberals will spend their declining years in palatial beachfront places in some tropical (tax-free) paradise, sipping Pina Coladas. While checking their extensive investment portfolios, and counting their money. While being waited on, hand and foot.

And YOU will have paid for it all.

They've worked very hard for this...and they deserve it. Don't they?

Don't they?

Loafer
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:32 PM
What would they say if I deducted "Liberal Party Expenses" from my taxes. Add a little sticker at the bottom of your return.....get everyone in the country to claim back a few bucks each...that would ^&^% 'em right up. I want my money back from those thieving *&(*^%*&
can someone do the math?

Dr.G.
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Loafer, I estimate that just this "grab" cost 10,000 average-income Canadian workers their ENTIRE federal tax paid out this past year. Add on to this the fact that not a dime of this money for which we all worked hard shall ever to to health, education, welfare, the environment, etc. I think we should all head out for Salt Spring Island, and set Macnutt up as The Supreme Ruler for Life. There would be no taxes paid and "FROM EACH ACCORDING TO HIS ABILITY, TO EACH ACCORDING TO HIS NEED" would be the motto of MacnuttLand.

I am tired of working year-round at two jobs to see my tax dollars wasted. I take this personally. :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad:

kloan
Feb 20th, 2004, 03:39 PM
So I called Revenue Canada... did they have a logical or good reason for changing my return amount????? NO. All they could tell me was that is was "recalculated"... GEE THANKS YOU STUPID SON OF [edited for Roland]!! Ya sure, go on.. take my money.. more of it.. I don't need it.. in fact, why give me a return at all?? I dont want it... :mad:

[ February 20, 2004, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: kloan ]

MannyP Design
Feb 20th, 2004, 04:13 PM
I think it's time to rise.

Loafer
Feb 20th, 2004, 05:13 PM
hey kloan,

next time you're on the phone to revenue canada be sure to let them know I have some cash in my wallet that they are more than welcome to pry out of my cold dead hands (for want of a better term)to waste on sending a bunch or poets and writers to Europe for a jolly.....I mean, who cares about the poor, people who need operations, the awful transit situation, victims of crime...I want the well off and talented to be treated like royalty....because they deserve it dont they???
dont they ?

Roland
Feb 20th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Wow... let's try not to swear in the thread. Even with a star it is a bit offensive.

I've always had to pay and never gotten any back. It was the worst when I worked 2 jobs. It doesn't pay to work your butt off.

Even over time is a joke. They take it all with deductions anyways.

But that's the life when we live in Canada.

kloan
Feb 20th, 2004, 08:02 PM
No, that's not life.. there is a problem with this system...

Anyway, I'm going to file an appeal. There is no logical reason for them to "recalculate" my refund. I used a system that does all of the calculations for me, this is not human error. I WILL get to the bottom of this... :rolleyes:

Kosh
Feb 20th, 2004, 09:47 PM
kloan, I'd wait for the notice of assessment. It should tell you exactly what was changed. Even tax preparation software can have bugs. I always double-check my calculated return with last year's return.

The Canada Customs and Revenue Agency always calculates your return based on the info you give CCRA, it's a fairly simple spreadsheet on the T1 side. There is a chance the bug could be on their side, though.

kloan
Feb 20th, 2004, 11:02 PM
well the person i spoke with on the phone told me what was changed, but he said there wasn't a reason for it, just that there was an "error" and that it was recalculated, so i fear its going to be the same thing on the notice of assessment... the reason im buggin out so much over $200 is because i wrote a postdated cheque for the exact amount the tax return is for.. to cover a certain expense from your friendly neighbourhood citifinancial settlement..lol.. so now i have to explain to them all of this.. doesnt look good on my part, so thats why im so peeved..

Roland
Feb 20th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Wow.. Makes me think of the saying "Counting your chickens before they're hatched...".

But I do hope you get your money.

imactheknife
Feb 20th, 2004, 11:51 PM
hmmm...funny how I thought this all along about the liberals and the CDN gov't in general! and it all comes true!! I have said stuff about the CDN gov't in the last 6 months and it made a few people on this list mad!! well get mad all right...our awesome cdn gov't is a bunch of legal crooks who don't give a rats butt about anything but thier own stinkin wallets and retirement funds. I said it all along and even stated that itunes will be A LONG TIME COMING to this country cause idiots that work for the gov't don't want it. They want all the money and give nothing in return. You would think that canada being one of the highest taxed countries (well it might be the highest now) would be a very rich country, and or that our debt would be lessening...NOPE becausse our tax dollars are not well spent. politicians complain when they have a thumb up thier butt all day and only make $250 000 a year...BOO FREAKIN WHO....go macnutt for leader all the way to the bank graemlins/lmao.gif

kloan
Feb 21st, 2004, 12:11 AM
Wow.. Makes me think of the saying "Counting your chickens before they're hatched...".haha.. they told me to post date it, it was the only way it wasn't going small claims.. lol.. im one broke mofo..

talonracer
Feb 21st, 2004, 12:47 AM
When I was in Uni, the government somehow ended up getting $2000 a year from me in income tax.

I must have really been raking it in with that part-time job...

Now I save every receipt I can to give to my accountant. They want to make me live on KD for three years, they've got some payback coming.

Roland
Feb 21st, 2004, 10:14 AM
You could sell the thing you're typing on and cover the shortfall. Maybe pick up an older machine in the mean time and avoid court proceedings.

I'm parking my car right now and walking it in an attempt to raise some extra cash. Can't believe how much I'm saving in car insurance... (not cancelled, just paying the minimum allowed by Ford Credit)

haha.. they told me to post date it, it was the only way it wasn't going small claims.. lol.. im one broke mofo..

Mississauga
Feb 21st, 2004, 10:55 AM
Where's Robin Hood when you need him, huh? :mad:

Dr.G.
Feb 21st, 2004, 12:55 PM
As I have previously stated, in this tax season, as many Canadians are filling out their tax returns and realize how much of their hard-earned tax dollars were wasted, there is going to be a rising tide of anger. Call me naive, but I feel that the NDP shall be the beneficiary of this tide of protest, in that the same sort of waste and graft took place during the Mulrooney years as well. We shall see.

Kosh
Feb 21st, 2004, 11:17 PM
imactheknifesaid:
You would think that canada being one of the highest taxed countries (well it might be the highest now)That's a big exageration... we probably pay a reasonable amount of tax compared to other countries... just check this chart (http://www.worldtaxpayers.org/statmarg.htm)

We're hardly the highest.

MacNutt
Feb 22nd, 2004, 03:13 AM
I'm not sure how your chart was compiled or who published it...but, when you add it all up Canadians are some of the most heavily taxed human beings on this planet.

Most of the people I know pay slightly more than 50% in taxes. And that's before the GST and all the hidden ones are taken into account.

According to your chart, we are slightly better off than the Americans. Which is the polar opposite of my own personal experience (I have worked and lived in both the US and Canada within the last five years).

We now pay more in total taxes than we do for food and shelter, here in Canada. And it's only getting worse.

And it's high time that we cancelled the tickets of the corrupt politicians who seem to think it's their god-given right to divert hundreds of millions of these hard earned tax dollars into their own private retirement schemes.

Or who waste almost two billion dollars while registering a small percentage of the duck hunters shotguns. While illegal handgun violence goes on in our streets at ever increasing rates.

That's a cost overrun of two thousand per cent. And counting.

There are many more examples of gross mismanagement of Canadian tax dollars by the Federal Liberals. And LOTS more corruption that we haven't even heard about. Yet.

Jean Chretien responded to questions about the sponsorship scandal some time ago, when he was still Prime Minister.

He said something like "Perhaps a few million dollars may have been stolen. But it was for a good cause."

:eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

If you agree with this attitude, then feel free to re-elect his band of crooks. Go ahead and give em another shot at your wallet. Be my guest.

But if you want real change, then you'll need to cast your vote somewhere else on election day.

Anywhere else.

Otherwise you're just going to encourage them to do it to you again. And again. And again.

Think about it.

[ February 22, 2004, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: macnutt ]

motoyen
Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:25 PM
why pay tax? http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/taxbible/

Dr.G.
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:59 PM
Remember the saying about "death and taxes". tongue.gif

SINC
Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:21 AM
Is that the one about overtaxation being the leading cause of death?

Cheers

:D

rhino
Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:53 PM
Dr. G wrote; "As I have previously stated, in this tax season, as many Canadians are filling out their tax returns and realize how much of their hard-earned tax dollars were wasted, there is going to be a rising tide of anger. Call me naive, but I feel that the NDP shall be the beneficiary of this tide of protest, in that the same sort of waste and graft took place during the Mulrooney years as well. We shall see."

And macnutt wrote: "But if you want real change, then you'll need to cast your vote somewhere else on election day.
Anywhere else. Otherwise you're just going to encourage them to do it to you again. And again. And again."

I, for one, cannot forget or forgive the Mulroney excesses and although my vote was "elsewhere" then, the resulting Liberal government has simply confirmed my thoughts regarding "crooked' politicians. So we just voted for the same thing after Mulroney just in a different flavour?

So where and what are the options?

The Conservative leadership race has 3 candidates but no forthcoming leader with policies the eastern population base (who ultimately decides the next 4 year parliamentary dictatorship of Canada) can buy into.

The PM PM is fighting JC's Legacy that he has swiftly become a lame duck, catch up leader desperately attempting damage control rather than promoting new directions and policies for the government. Tax waste nowithstanding, do you go with the devil you know, or the devil you don't know.

And yes I purposely used the words "promote" and "buy-in" as such are the methods used to "sell" us the Next Best Thing. Have we really become sheep or can we finally wake up and find the candidates with the policies Canada needs to realize her potential?

Dr.G.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:59 PM
Rhino, where does the NDP fit in with your assessment of this situation???

rhino
Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:20 PM
Actually, Dr. G., my father (GRHS) was a big NDP supporter as I was growing up and his views have coloured some of my past choices but now my decisions are my own.

I agree with macnutt and his views re: the NDP. Marginal at best although perhaps Jack Layton will return and have some new ideas.From your well quoted posts, "We shall see".

They haven't been on my radar for quite a while now and given their track record provincially in Ont. and B.C., they don't seem to have been any more immune or resistant to the "scandal bug".

Dr.G.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:38 PM
Rhino, I would actually rather see Ed Broadbent as NDP leader than Jack Layton. Still, I think that I would also like to see what the NDP might be able to do on a federal level given one majority government.

rhino
Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:48 PM
Can't we clone Stephen Lewis and Big Ed to bring forth the next Great NDP Hope?

Seriously, I have much respect for Stephen Lewis and the HIV/AIDs work he is doing in Africa. Canada needs more leaders and do-ers like him.

So what are we waiting for? Let's get out there! Stopp sitting on our butts while others are making decisions for us?

Get involved because it's your country, your money, your life (style).

Here endeth the rant.

Dr.G.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:11 PM
Rhino, Stephen Lewis is another person who could inspire me to run in my federal riding for the NDP.

rhino
Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:42 PM
If you have the resources, mentally and financially, to open yourself up to public review in pursuit of public office, of any kind, I would heartily endorse and encourge you to do so.

I, regrettably, have too many skeltons in my closet :eek:

Kosh
Feb 24th, 2004, 05:10 PM
I'm not sure how your chart was compiled or who published it...but, when you add it all up Canadians are some of the most heavily taxed human beings on this planet.

Most of the people I know pay slightly more than 50% in taxes. And that's before the GST and all the hidden ones are taken into account.

Are you sure that's taxes or benefits. I get a kick out of how some complain that half of their paycheck is gone to taxes until you show them it's only about 30% and the other 20% is for company pension benefits, medical and dental benefits, union, EI, CPP, etc. You'd have to have some rich friends for them to be taxed 50% not including GST, PST, gas tax, tobacco tax, and all those other taxes. That would have to be one of the higher tax brackets. Or are these people that own a business? I could see business owners paying higher taxes.

By the way the chart I linked to only includes income tax, I believe, and not GST, PST, HST, etc.

MacNutt
Feb 26th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Most of my friends are very well-paid oilpatch technicians. The rest are business owners and professionals.

Pretty much ALL of us pay 50%+. In income taxes ALONE.

BEFORE GST, or any other deductions.

My former boss at Continental Laboratories started his working life as a minimum wage Saskatchewan farmhand.

He once told me that he made 800$ for a whole year's hard work, in the early fifties.

Then he got involved in the oilpatch. The pay was good. It's ALWAYS good on the oilrigs! He saved his cash and made all the right moves. Eventually, he started his own company with the money he'd saved. For the first two years, he and one other guy did all the work and answered the phones. They also swept the floors, worked day and night...and went broke.

Together.

Both lost their houses, and their wives divorced them

But, nowadays, the company that they built from scratch is capable of generating 20 grand in a single day. Every day of the week. 365 days per year.

Some days they do even better than that.

He still runs this company and owns 51% of the stock in this private firm. He now pays 63% of his income to Ottawa, as a reward for all of this hard work. He is now the junior partner in his own income stream.

Do you suppose he's happy about all of this? He is not.

It's no wonder that pretty much ALL of the richest and most famous Canadians have chosen to move to other countries, rather than turn over more than HALF of everything they make to the Federal Government.

It's a serious brain and talent drain.

These mega-rich Candians no longer pay ANY Canadian taxes. But most of the rest of us still do.

And where does a LOT of this hard-won tax money go?

Into the pockets of a few Quebec-based Liberals. For their own enjoyment.

What a scam. :mad: graemlins/ptptptptptpt.gif

[ February 26, 2004, 02:56 AM: Message edited by: macnutt ]