: New bill in the house

PosterBoy
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:05 AM
Macnutt ought to be happy, there is a new bill being introduced by Pat Martin (a Winnipeg MP) that will lead to trans-fats (hydrogenated vegetable oil) being eliminated from the Canadian food supply.

Trans fats lengthen the shelf life of many food products, but they are linked to many health issues as well.

I think it's kind of cool. Here is the story @ CTV (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1076022972475_71432172///?hub=TopStories)

Jordan
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:25 AM
It's about time!
Now to ban GMO's, herbicides, pesticides, farm salmon etc, etc etc........... graemlins/nuts.gif

MACSPECTRUM
Feb 6th, 2004, 07:20 AM
actually canadian farm salmon is quite good and free of disease
the statistics mentioned a while ago about salmon not being healthy to eat more than once per month is mostly to do with norther european salmon, where the fish live/breed/feed in very polluted waters

support canadian salmon farmers
i, myself had some salmon for lunch on wednesday
mmmm mmm good !!

The Doug
Feb 8th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Interesting article.

People are concerned about BSE-infected beef in our food supply but the chances of humans consuming infected beef and becoming ill are, arguably, infinitessimal.

Trans-fats are another matter altogether. They're in a huge number of foodstuffs, practically everyone consumes them every single day, some to excess, and most don't know it or just don't care. Trans-fats are probably the most insidious poison in our food supply, put there not because people want them, but because they are cost-effective for manufacturers and enhance their bottom line.

This private-member's bill is timely and logical, but it won't pass. As the article states, such bills never go anywhere. Especially one that would have our government mandate a sea-change in food industry practises. Can't rock a few corporate boats, can we - when legislating new food labelling is so much cheaper.

:rolleyes:

BigDL
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:29 AM
This private-member's bill is timely and logical, but it won't pass. The banning of smoking in federal (workplaces) buildings was a private memberís bill that was legislated. Sometimes good ideas do make it through. For the now we can hope. smile.gif

SINC
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Outlawing something as foul as food companies feeding us what is essentially poison, will be passed by even the Liberals. If they don't, they have no concern for Canadians.

Cheers

smile.gif

used to be jwoodget
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:17 PM
It'll pass if there is more public education about the hazards. Most people still don't understand that TFAs are added to foods. Although they are present naturally, their concentration is low. They are added not only for preservative functions but also for taste. That's the bigger problem because reformulating ingredients to consistent taste is critical to food manufacturers. The biggest incentive to the food industry would be public demand for non-TFA foods. There are excellent data on the hazards (although its all in experimental animals) and you'd think this would be an excellent cause for healthy food advocates to rally around. I think we'll see TFA-free stickers appearing on foods soon. Support those products and the rest of the industry will follow suit.

PosterBoy
Feb 9th, 2004, 03:15 AM
The one thing I can't help thinking though is that weren't trans-fats brought in to replace something else that people were all in a tissle about a number of years back?

And if they do ban trans fats, how long will it take them to find some other crap to use instead?

MacNutt
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:31 AM
And how soon before we see massive tax increases on foods that contain TFA's? Or laws that say you can't consume them in any public place? tongue.gif

Thin edge of the wedge, people. It's all good for us and it's all in our best interest...but I still get a nasty creepy feeling up my spine every time I hear about yet another major attempt at social engineering like this.

Wonder where it will all stop? Or will it keep going until we are a totally bland and terribly healthy society that is completely bored to death by pretty much everything that we are allowed to consume?

I'll be looking for the door, long before THAT.

Trust me on this.

PosterBoy
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Or will it keep going until we are a totally bland and terribly healthy society that is completely bored to death by pretty much everything that we are allowed to consume?

It is possible to eat both healthily and interestingly. Go out for Ethiopian cuisine one night, and see how much fun it is.

Trans-fats are pretty terrible for you, it's what they'll end up being replaced by that worries me.

SINC
Feb 9th, 2004, 10:43 AM
macnutt: I'll be looking for the door, long before THAT.
I've been there, done that. Keep eating trans fats and you may get your wish, although I sincerely hope not.

As for "social engineering"? I think not. It's a health issue, pure and simple. An ounce of prevention, and all that.

Cheers

smile.gif

MacNutt
Feb 9th, 2004, 10:15 PM
For the record, I eat only whole foods and I only bought a can opener when I got my two cats. We grow most of our own veggies here on the farm, without pesticides. I didn't have access to chocy bars and potato chips as snacks for a rather lengthy part of my life and I haven't picked up the habit now that I'm back in Canada.

TFA's are not a part of my life.

And I certainly think that many of you are missing the point here. Just as the point was largely missed in the big tobacco debate that we had a few weeks back.

This is just the thin edge of the wedge. A good case can be made that a vast number of foods and drinks are "bad" for us. How soon till they are outlawed or taxed out of existence? "For the greater good of all".

Where will it all stop?

PosterBoy
Feb 10th, 2004, 03:45 AM
A good case can be made that a vast number of foods and drinks are "bad" for us. How soon till they are outlawed or taxed out of existence?

I dunno. I can't tell if I am in support of this bill or not. Certainly though, TFAs are not good for you and there is no possibility of them being good for you, so I am looking forward to the new signage on products that has already been legislated.