Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Pixar to Disney: Sea You Later

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  iPetie 
#1 ·
I thought some of you may be interested in this story (from IMDB Pro)

Pixar Animation Studios said Thursday that it has broken off its talks with the Walt Disney Co. and will not extend its distribution agreement with the studio once it expires in 2005 after the completion of two more films. The move could have a dramatic impact on Disney's standing as the industry's leading distributor of animated films. It is sure to set off a fierce competition among its rival studios, all eager to distribute Pixar's lucrative product. And it provides Roy E. Disney, who recently resigned as vice chairman of the Disney board of directors, with further ammunition in his campaign against Disney chairman and CEO Michael Eisner. In announcing an end to the negotiations, Pixar chairman Steve Jobs said: "After 10 months of trying to strike a deal with Disney, we're moving on. We've had a great run together -- one of the most successful in Hollywood history -- and it's a shame that Disney won't be participating in Pixar's future successes." In a statement, Eisner wished Jobs and John Lassiter, Pixar's creative head, "much success in the future," adding, "Although we would have enjoyed continuing our successful collaboration under mutually acceptable terms, Pixar understandably has chosen to go its own way to grow as an independent company." Visit HollywoodReporter.com for more

#2 ·
Interesting the wording of both statements. Niether is burning any bridges.
I'm sure Walt is rolling in his grave. Pixar represents everything he stood for to build Disney. Quality, value and first class entertainment. They still "talk the talk", but more and more they don't "walk the walk".
A shame really!

#3 ·
This is na interesting observation about this from Ron Diamond.

And, in fact, insiders like Ron Diamond, co-founder of the Animation World Network (AWN.com), say contracts like the one Pixar and Disney had are adjusted all the time. Surely a compromise could have been reached if both sides hadn't adopted such a scorched-earth philosophy.

However, Diamond has an interesting question:

"What's the rush?" he asks. "The contract has two more years to run. Pixar won't have its own picture to put out for three to four years. The question is: Did Steve (Jobs) do this for Roy?''

In other words, did Jobs create this crisis at a moment when Roy Disney was exerting maximum pressure on the board to dump Eisner and put him in charge?

"There's a huge amount of sympathy for Roy," says Diamond. "I wouldn't be surprised if Roy is successful. If Eisner goes out and Roy comes in, I think there is an extremely good chance that (Disney) could go back to Pixar and get them back.'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.