Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Moral Dilemma: $

• Take the $ and have a nicer day.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Moral Dilemma: $

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  ErnstNL 
#1 ·
Ok. I know that G&M used to write these up in a column once a week (monday?), and would take the best response to the Q? and print them. Here's one:

Sunday morning, you take a stroll down the street on your way to your fave café. On the way, you stop @ the bank machine to grab some looty for this walk and the day. You get to the ABM and it's beeping. You read the screen and it says "Pls remove your money". You look down and there's a yet to be determined amount of 20s waiting to be taken from the machine. A man next to you (who was doing the same), does not notice anything and does not recall who was there. You look around, go around the corner to see if someone's walking away - nothing. No transaction receipt is present - nothing! What do you do?? Although a yes/no poll, pls feel free to post an explanation to your action. BTW, after looking, you find $80.

I'm curious. :confused:

#2 ·
I'd take the money... and then put it in an envelope and head directly to the nearest branch (if the ATMs weren't located at the bank) and report the date and location of said machines and let them figure it out. They will have all records of any persons at that machine (including visual), or whether it was a malfunction.

It pays to be honest nowadays. Plus it's good for Karma. :D

#3 ·
The money in the slot most likely is the beginning of the drama, not the end of a simple set of circumstances whereby the money was simply forgotten. The cash in the slot suggests there might have been violence, and only a few seconds before; robbery, or an abduction, perhaps.

I would look into the most obvious place hiding the video camera, then hold my driver's licence or some other identification in the camera's view. I would not touch the money.

If there is a phone next to the bank machine, I'd use it to call the police — not some answering machine or call centre in Colorado hired by the bank. If there is no phone and I have my cell, I'd use that to call the cops. If no cell, I'd try to persuade someone else to phone them. Then I'd stay until the police arrived.

#4 ·
While on vacation in BC 8 years ago, I discovered a crisp $20.00 in the dispenser of a bank machine that was in a grocery store.

I took it without question.

Two years later: same place, same store, same bank machine. Another crisp $20.00.

I took that too.

A year later, I drove up to a bank machine here in town, entered my PIN and selected $40.00 to withdraw. I was in a desperate frenzied rush, grabbed my card and drove off.......without the money.

Raced back to the bank. MOney gone. Money not handed in.

Justice served I'd say.

Now, I practise what I learn from the Word rather than just ingest it.

End of story.

#7 ·
Honesty does pay. I just returned from the grocery store where I purchased 4 items, total of $1.67.I asked the clerk to check it again 'cause it should have been about $7.00. She did and the end result was the store said that she had made a mistake but gave me the groceries for $1.67.Easy way to make $5.

As for the bank machine contact the bank, they can tell exactly who withdrew the money at that time. If there was foul play involved the money would be gone. The police have better things to do with their time.

#8 ·
I think I'd try and take the money to a bank branch. As others have said, the bank would be able to find out whose it is. You could give the bank your ATM receipt for them to be able get the previous transaction at that ATM.

It reminds me of when I was in a theatre. After the movie I found a wallet on the floor. I thought it was mine for a second, but it wasn't. Luckily the owner was just down the aisle yet, and I was able to return it to him. I make enough money, and it's too much like stealing to keep it. Besides, if I lost my wallet, I'd want someone to return it. Now if I found a $5 or $20 bill in the middle of the street, I'd keep it.

#9 ·
I've caught people leaving money in the "bin dispenser" type atm's and had to run after them to give their money back. The money spits out into a deep bin which is usually black;(Bank of Montreal) it's hard to see the money. I think the "money spout" atm's are less susceptible to leaving money behind, it's in full view.
Returning the money in this case: it's a good thing. The money doesn't belong to me, the bank will find out the owner by the transaction record copied in the atm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.